Cultivated Reef

Mr. M's Microscopy of the Reef, FlowerMama's Dinos! #303

Mr. Microscope

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Those pics are pre and post dip.

A drop in salinity does nothing that won't kill everything else in the tank. These dinos have been able to survive a gradual change to ~60ppt. A rapid change is what is necessary.

but Im asking are you going to run that dip to kill em off, essentially a whole tank salinity treatment? dont blame you, thats decent coverage for sure. some of it looked like cyano to me

• 3 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I finally got a couple minutes to look at the ostriopsys dinoflagellates under the EM. Here's the thing that was messing with my tank for a month or so. Removing the sand bed in combination with aggressive water changes and several 72 hour blackouts took care of it. Here's a final fairwell to this plague.

ostriopsys_zpsd3c9b24e.jpg

To be honest, these were kinda boring and there were a lot more cool things in this sample. To start out, I pulled an isopod out of the algae.

isopod_zpse01774c0.jpg

Also, there were a lot of cool diatoms in this sample. Check 'em out!

diatoms_zps97eb6d6e.jpg

Here's that one that's up front:

diatom02_zps6de6851f.jpg

This one is towards the back right of the first diatom image:

diatom01_zps9a99f0c7.jpg

Here's a football looking one:

diatom03_zpsbbf9c21d.jpg

Nice and clean against some algae:

diatom04_zps655fef85.jpg

Close up of this one:

diotom04zoom_zpsc19f4e73.jpg

Thanks for sharing! That isopod is super creepy, but I like the diatoms :) Diatoms are always a ton of fun to look at under the microscope.

Looks like you haven't managed to strip the membrane off the Ostreopsis. If you can remove the membrane you can see the thecal plates like here:

Osiamensis.gif

Mr. Microscope

Thanks for sharing! That isopod is super creepy, but I like the diatoms :) Diatoms are always a ton of fun to look at under the microscope.

Thanks Felicia! It sure is and they sure are. lol ;)

Looks like you haven't managed to strip the membrane off the Ostreopsis. If you can remove the membrane you can see the thecal plates like here:

Osiamensis.gif

Yup, I used Osmium as there was other stuff in there I wanted to preserve. It looks like it suffered some dehydration artifacts.
  • 4 months later...

Mr Microscope! Any more microscopy pics to share? :)

PS - in a few weeks I'm gonna get to play with a stimulated emission depletion laser microscope for a bit ;)

Mr. Microscope

Mr Microscope! Any more microscopy pics to share? :)

PS - in a few weeks I'm gonna get to play with a stimulated emission depletion laser microscope for a bit ;)

Nothing at the moment. I might take a look at some sea urchin skeleton and spines sometime, but I've been too busy with actual research lately to throw anything reef related into the microscope for five minutes. Thanks for the bump!

What will you be looking at in the STED? Very cool!

What will you be looking at in the STED? Very cool!

SO much stuff lol. Worms, flies, yeast, stem cells, brain slices,and arabidopsis I think makes up most of it.

Mr. Microscope

Thanks for the pics. They are pretty sweet!

Thanks pico!

SO much stuff lol. Worms, flies, yeast, stem cells, brain slices,and arabidopsis I think makes up most of it.

Fun fun! I'm working on a project with c. elegans right now. Done plenty of drosophila and brain too, but never looked at arabidopsis. Haven't really done any plant stuff since school.
blizzardscout2

I have to say the pictures you have posted are amazing, it is pretty cool to gain perspective every once in awhile how small things are. Thanks.

Mr. Microscope

I have to say the pictures you have posted are amazing, it is pretty cool to gain perspective every once in awhile how small things are. Thanks.

Thank you blizzard!

I just saw an image taken under an EM of hydrogen atoms! It doesn't get much smaller than that.

Archived