SaltCritters.com

DIM4 Sunrise/Sunset controller for DIY LEDs by LEDGroupBuy.com

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

jedimasterben
Thinking of setting up new lighting for my tank using the Aquastyle 14led Dim kit. Are the drivers they supply compatible with this DIM4? Was going to use 2 kits, but only 2 drivers, 1b 1w, assuming each driver on a separate channel and then using the remaining channels to power a couple reds or turqs. Now that I think of it, do I need the dimmable kit, includes pots, or will I be able to control dimming with the DIM4?

No, the "Maxwellen" drivers are not 0-10v dimmable.

Didn't see this thread until now.

If I want to run 3 Bridgelux LEDS on each channel (total of 12) would I need a a different power supply than the 12v 5A?

Or possibly run all 4 channels at full (this case 450ma) through the lighting period, and when lights go out have one channel ramp down for moonlights?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Didn't see this thread until now.

If I want to run 3 Bridgelux LEDS on each channel (total of 12) would I need a a different power supply than the 12v 5A?

Or possibly run all 4 channels at full (this case 450ma) through the lighting period, and when lights go out have one channel ramp down for moonlights?

12V 5A power supply is fine.

jedimasterben
can the dim4 do thunder storms and clouds passing?

No, only dimming of entire strings. You'd need custom programming and wiring, such as with an Arduino, to be able to do that.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
can the dim4 do thunder storms and clouds passing?

No. The DIM4 is suppose to be a simple, plug and play, sunrise/sunset controller. No programming involved. As Jedimaster said, if you want to do thunderstorms and lighting you should look into an Ardunio. You will need to write some code to handle all the thunderstorms/clouds/etc.

• 1 month later...

I have 3 panorama pros and would like to have them connected to the dim4. If I connect each pro to a meanwell eln60-24d would I be able to control them with the dim4?

jedimasterben
I have 3 panorama pros and would like to have them connected to the dim4. If I connect each pro to a meanwell eln60-24d would I be able to control them with the dim4?

Yep, just get the 24D Meanwell (or any other analog 0-10v driver that supplies the right voltage and amperage) and hook them up.

• 1 month later...

i was thinkin bout getting the panorama pros do u like them can u grow lps and sps ?

• 9 months later...
Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Hi, am I able to turn off the LCD display on my dim4 board? Thanks

No there isnt a way to do that currently

Most people will end up setting and forgetting the DIM4 so its usually locked away somewhere.

• 9 months later...

I realize this thread is old so i hope there are still subscribers to it....I am new to the whole dimming/driving/controlling LED type thing. It has been noted that each channel can run only 3 3w cree LEDs in series making a total of 9w at im assuming around 700mA/each. Would I be able to run 9 - 1w LEDs at 300mA on the DIM4 without the need for a driver? If not is there a recommended driver to use for this application? Like I said, I am new to this and any help would be appreciated! I'm not even sure if 1w LEDs can even be dimmed lol

jedimasterben

The DIM4 works differently than normal LED drivers. The DIM4 channels are a constant voltage (aka 'direct drive') instead of a constant current, so it provides exactly 10v per channel at 500mA. Typical '3w' LEDs use around 2.9-3.1v for the good ones, the Chinese crap usually uses 3.6-3.9v at the same currents, so they're closer to the 10v mark at 100%. LEDs don't really like to be direct driven, but it works and doesn't necessarily hurt them, but you'll have a very limited dimming range (usually they'll strike at ~2.6v each, which is ~7.8v of the 10v maximum of the DIM4).

As long as you as close to 10v as you can get without going over (which will hurt the LEDs) using your 1w chips, AND they can tolerate 500mA going through them, then they will work.

• 3 weeks later...

The DIM4 works differently than normal LED drivers. The DIM4 channels are a constant voltage (aka 'direct drive') instead of a constant current, so it provides exactly 10v per channel at 500mA. Typical '3w' LEDs use around 2.9-3.1v for the good ones, the Chinese crap usually uses 3.6-3.9v at the same currents, so they're closer to the 10v mark at 100%. LEDs don't really like to be direct driven, but it works and doesn't necessarily hurt them, but you'll have a very limited dimming range (usually they'll strike at ~2.6v each, which is ~7.8v of the 10v maximum of the DIM4).

As long as you as close to 10v as you can get without going over (which will hurt the LEDs) using your 1w chips, AND they can tolerate 500mA going through them, then they will work.

Yea, I'm not even gonna try it lol sorry if that was a dumb question but a very informative response! The DIM4 is definitely a unique controller to say the least. First question was for me, next one is for a friend....I was wondering if i have a LED array with 2 channels on manual pots for dimmers, if i wanted to control the dimming features of the fixture, would it be possible to just take the +/- leads off the pot and plug it into one of the DIM4 channels? Or would the driver power input need to be the one plugged in? I am all about experimentation but on the same note i do not like to destroy equipment lol

jedimasterben

Yea, I'm not even gonna try it lol sorry if that was a dumb question but a very informative response! The DIM4 is definitely a unique controller to say the least. First question was for me, next one is for a friend....I was wondering if i have a LED array with 2 channels on manual pots for dimmers, if i wanted to control the dimming features of the fixture, would it be possible to just take the +/- leads off the pot and plug it into one of the DIM4 channels? Or would the driver power input need to be the one plugged in? I am all about experimentation but on the same note i do not like to destroy equipment lol

The DIM4 outputs a 0-10v analog signal. If the driver's dimming circuit is compatible with analog signals, then it will work.

What brand and model driver is your friend using?

One of the chinese 55 x 3w led full spectrum that are all over ebay. I have only had a chance to peek inside through the vents, haven't seen the drivers. I saw there is a red/black wire coming from the driver to the pot that is it. Im guessing there is really no way to tell if it is analog without opening the thing up.

jedimasterben

Those are not controllable via anything but resistance or the proprietary controllers they ship with (if it even did).

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

Hi- i´m using dimmable drivers for bigger LED- Lights. How i can connect this controller with my dimmable drivers? Do you have a user´s Manual for me pls?

Thanks a lot in advance!

BR  A.Lux

• Recommended Discussions