inTank Media Baskets

Media basket noise

andrenym00

I set up media basket in my biocube 29 with water director pieces directing flow into middle and have water level just underneath top level, problem is it makes a water fall noise. I didnt think it would be this loud? It's not horrible but I thought it would be more quiet? Any advice?

SouthFlorida_Tron

OMG! the sound of water in a fish tank!!!!!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Nahh really, mine is the same way, water is like.....as high as possible between chambers, yet still a light trickly sound...i wouldnt worry, stuff extra floss, maybe itll help :P cheers

Reef Hollister

I get this on occaission. I just jiggle it from front to back a little and that has always taken care of it.

Like the other poster said, make sure there is plenty of floss in chamber 1.

I get this on occaission. I just giggle it from front to back a little and that has always taken care of it.

Like the other poster said, make sure there is plenty of floss in chamber 1.

What type of floss does everyone use? I dont want to run through my filter floss so fast.

What type of floss does everyone use? I dont want to run through my filter floss so fast.

For a cost effective solution, you could look into pillow stuffing (sold at pretty much any super market/arts and crafts store- my LFS even sells it). Supposedly it works great and is extremely cheap, although I haven't personally tried it.

For a cost effective solution, you could look into pillow stuffing (sold at pretty much any super market/arts and crafts store- my LFS even sells it). Supposedly it works great and is extremely cheap, although I haven't personally tried it.

Interesting, can anyone recommend a brand or type that I can purchase on the internet?

Chi_nano_reefer
Interesting, can anyone recommend a brand or type that I can purchase on the internet?

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, Poly-Fil 100% Premium Polyester Fiber Fill, it is $2.99 for a big bag, even replacing it every few days, it lasts me months. It is 100% new fiber, not recycled, less chance of leaching. Do not use the fill from WalMart as it is recycled, thus more chance of leaching unwanted traces to your tank.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, Poly-Fil 100% Premium Polyester Fiber Fill, it is $2.99 for a big bag, even replacing it every few days, it lasts me months. It is 100% new fiber, not recycled, less chance of leaching. Do not use the fill from WalMart as it is recycled, thus more chance of leaching unwanted traces to your tank.

Like this?

http://www.sears.com/fairfield-poly-fil-pr.../p-SPM650087103

Good call thx! Bought 2 bags and it looks like it will last for a long time!

By the way it says on the bag that it meets the flammability requirements of california. I've seen some people say not to use the non flammable poly-fil, is this brand safe?

Do you have any issues with stagnant water in the back chambers after the media basket? I put a ton of floss and now no noise but also the water has become stagnant in chamber 2 and 3 with buildup of surface film.

I wouldn't call it stagnant. The pump and flow hole is at the bottom of the tank so water is moving around that entire chamber fairly fast. What you are seeing is surface film. It really is nothing to worry about in the rear chamber. All you could do is mix it up every now and then manually. I guess you could put a pump back their aimed a the surface but not needed IMO.

I wouldn't call it stagnant. The pump and flow hole is at the bottom of the tank so water is moving around that entire chamber fairly fast. What you are seeing is surface film. It really is nothing to worry about in the rear chamber. All you could do is mix it up every now and then manually. I guess you could put a pump back their aimed a the surface but not needed IMO.

Thx Steve! How about the fairfield poly-fil? It says on the bag something about complies with california regulations, is it safe to use? I read somewhere not to use poly-fil that is fire resistant as its been chemically treated?

I think I remember the same. I really only use the filter floss we sell because it is full of awesomeness. Do a quick search here on that I have seen it posted a lot in the past. Otherwise find a floss that does not say fire resistant.

Scott Reimer had a great thread on filter floss, i'd find it for you but busy at MACNA.

Archived