Innovative Marine Aquariums

Eric's Clownfish Breeding Thread (Retired)

ericm1205

i didnt think it was possible but i think the saddle pulled thru this. her eyes are normal and she can see. and now she is eating a little more which makes me happy i didnt cull her.

over the weekend i pulled a pot of gsm eggs and hatched them on sunday night. i wanted to try and raise some fry, anything! hehe

still waiting for all my other to stop eating or pulling off their eggs. darwins laid monday and eggs were missing tuesday. its was a nice size nest and i was hoping they would leave them alone.

Rods Onyx pair laid last night with a really nice nest. so instead of watching them to pull the eggs off, i removed the pot and put it in with the gsm pair to foster them in there cause they are the only pair not ripping the eggs off. so far the gsm male has been dutiful and is doing a great job with the eggs.

my rots are crapping out on me again!!! i had a nice batch going last week and then they started to dwindle rapidly. so i filtered all the rots i could and put them in a bucket and started them off again. I hope they come back cause i want to raise some rods onyx soon!

gonna call Eric @ reeds again to ask for some more help. i swear is the rotigrow +

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alpha Aquaculture

Glad to hear that your saddle pulled through! Thats a good idea to put the eggs with another pair. I might have to try that one day if my pairs ever lay lol.

Is it the same batch of Rotigrow +?

They replaced mine and sent me some rotigrow complete and I haven't had any issues since.

Pretty cool idea trying out the foster parents - hope it works out!

so far the eggs are doing great. darkening up nicely.

its the same batch of rotigrow +. i told him that other people were having trouble and he said he didnt hear anything like that. he said it was my ammonia levels cause nothing else could cause it.

i bought a new ammonia test kit and my ammonia was at 1.0.

anyone else test the ammonia in their rots? Eric told me to start using an ammonia blocker. so i have some amquel+ and started using it. i used it a few times before. but i was told not to use it.

Eric also told me to check my rots under a scope and see if they are holding eggs. he said add some vinegar to a sample to freeze them so they stop moving.

will try that if my rots get back up. i borrowed 2l of rots from Brian and ill see if they will reproduce.

phillyclownfish

Eric I do test my rots for ammonia since you can get spikes. I do use amquel. I have heard of people not using it but never not to use it. Does not seem to cause any issues.

That's funny --- Eric at Reeds told me the same exact thing right down to using vinegar and checking them under a microscope. I didn't have any ammonia though... I've been using prime all along and it's been working great for me.

i used it before on and off and it never had an issue before.

i tested my Ammonia and got a reading of 1. is that to high?i would assume in a 5g bucket it might be.

so i started added amquel+ to the bucket again. i sieved the bucket out and got some survivors and i started a new bucket, dumped the sieved rots in and we'll see if they start back up.

found a breeding pair a hour or 2 from my house. guy said they were black and white, but the pics say they are saddles, or even possible sebae. they been laying for him for a year or so. which is good cause my saddle female is a basket case. she tries to jump when i feed her. the pair i got from ibluewater to replace them, the female jumped!!

first time i ever had a clown jump. i had the screen open like barely an inch and i found her crispy.

i used it before on and off and it never had an issue before.

i tested my Ammonia and got a reading of 1. is that to high?i would assume in a 5g bucket it might be.

so i started added amquel+ to the bucket again. i sieved the bucket out and got some survivors and i started a new bucket, dumped the sieved rots in and we'll see if they start back up.

found a breeding pair a hour or 2 from my house. guy said they were black and white, but the pics say they are saddles, or even possible sebae. they been laying for him for a year or so. which is good cause my saddle female is a basket case. she tries to jump when i feed her. the pair i got from ibluewater to replace them, the female jumped!!

first time i ever had a clown jump. i had the screen open like barely an inch and i found her crispy.

phillyclownfish

I am not sure for rots but I know an ammonia reading of 1 for marine fish is toxic. Clowns are pretty hardy though and might make it through that high of ammonia. I would look that up for rots but I am sure its not helping.

my fostering plan kinda worked. the gsm did a great job in watching the eggs and i kinda figured out why they have been removing the eggs. the last next, only about 1/4 were fertilized and didnt mature at all. it might have been a fungus but they didnt turn completely chalky white like they did when i did have a fungus.

was thinking that the male isnt fertilizing the eggs, but this is a proven male with viable offspring that i have raised.

im gonna try it with another batch and see what happens.

picked up a egg laying saddle back pair today and now i got 2 pairs. the first saddle pair is a monster female, but i dont know if she ever laid before. The new pair i got has been laying before and hopefully she starts back up soon.

anyone else have a clue why half a nest is viable or fertilized? i'll get some pics of the next nest. one pair should be laying in the next few days.

I'm curious about your Rotigrow + since I just recently got some. Was it just a bad batch? What was the batch number/date?

are you having the same problems? i am not sure what batch# i got, but i'll look up the order date.

I got 2 new batches of rots yesterday. so i am gonna keep 2 buckets and see if i can keep any of them alive. test the ammonia every 3 days.

i am following everything to a "T" and keep a journal of everything, like amount of gal thinned out from each bucket and dates. i swear its the food.

I froze my new batch into cubes and haven't started using them yet. I'm still on my old batch, but now I'm scared to try the new batch!

• 3 weeks later...

update. kinda at the crossroads... im kinda close to the burning out point and calling it quits. i dont even want to feed them. winter is coming soon and my body is feeling it. i got Psoraitic Arthritis and my joints aren't happy. hehe

its the same disease that Phil Mickelson, the golfer has.

plus i got a new Doxy puppy and he is a handful cause my 3rd old doxy doesnt like the rough puppy play, but likes him. so i need a slave or to hire someone. haha.

My female bluestripe died for some reason. just stopped eating for a few days and never left the top corner of the water. and my 2nd pair of saddles the female has popeye from trying to jump out and hitting the floor when she was in a bucket when i first got her. then she smashed into the tank and screen i had at the top. so she is on her last legs. these 2 deaths and injuries have put a damper on my enthusiasm. plus the 5 laying pairs currently laying, 4 of them are removing the eggs for some reason i have yet to uncover.

i think i am gonna scale down to 8 pairs from 14. so i gotta try and sell the other 4 pairs to maybe simplify my life a little.

I am almost at the point of tossing in the towel.... any good ideas how to get out of the slumping mood?

babies would help! hehe

You can do it!

dont get down on yourself.

If the road was easy, it wouldn't be as rewarding as it is when things go the way you want.

PS...we want puppy pics

Hang in there! I felt this way all week but then was graced with my biggest hatch to date. Life has ways of surprising you when you least expect it! Just gotta stick with it through the hard times and we all know those happen often!!

hang in there eric, im kinda in the same situation as you, ive got way to many pairs at home, im gonna do a black friday but a clown version soon, need to unload lots of pairs and only keep a couple, keep your head up and dont get completly out just keep at least one pair and give yourself some rest time, i know the feeling!!

yeah i am gonna drop down to maybe 8 pairs and sell the rest. Someone is driving from Va to buy mu latz on sunday and maybe i can get him to grab a few more pairs. hehe

so now i gotta find which pairs to keep. not easy going from 15 pairs to 8. hehe

yeah i am gonna drop down to maybe 8 pairs and sell the rest. Someone is driving from Va to buy mu latz on sunday and maybe i can get him to grab a few more pairs. hehe

so now i gotta find which pairs to keep. not easy going from 15 pairs to 8. hehe

im in the same boat as you,,, luckly i have a few sold already just need to move the rest!!! hang in there and DONT BUY ANYMORE CLOWN PAIRS!!! lol i should take my own advice

Send me a PM when you figure out what pairs your gonna get rid of. I think I will have space for a few more.

will do. thx if i decide to i will give you a good local deal.

anyone using macroalgae in their breeding systems? was thinking of setting up a 20L full of macro and have slow flow thru it. i know my octopus 5000 can handle the skimming fine enough. just looking for something to polish the water a little more. i seen Doni use Co2 scrubber in here system for a time.

also once i get some rotifers to live longer than 4 days, ill be in a better breeding mood. hehe now i am just going thru the motions..

is your live stock still for sale?

i might sell a few pairs. i'll send you a PM..

I just sold my WC Latz pair and my Bicinctus today. got a decent price, but atleast they are going to a good home. I will miss them dearly.

• 2 weeks later...

little update.

Hatched a batch of GSM sunday to just try and raise some fry. havent raised any since the summer heater disaster and i was bored. So i got my rots back up and running for 2 weeks now and they are thriving.

i think it was the floss that was spiking the ammonia and killing the bucket. no floss and my rots are taking off big time.

Sold my Latz, Picasso, Bicinctus, and Rods Onyx pair over the last 2 weeks to get down to 8 pairs. felt aweful selling them but i needed to thin the bunch out a bit and concentrate on the ones i want. I might let my GSM pair go if my snowflakes start producing. hopefully soon.

but i might bump myself up to 10 pairs. i am getting a blue stripe pair in 2 weeks, my last pair got sick and died so i am gonna QT these for a few weeks and med them some more after i get them from Ibluewater. i know they are great with their QT, but shipping stresses out fish and it might bring out something in them and make them sick. so gonna hit them with prazi and maracyn when they come in.

this pair is gonna be bigger than my last pair. female is over 5.5" close to 6. which is awesome.

then i think i might get a pair of clarkii that are breeding too. never had a pair of them and always wanted a pair to try them so i am looking for a pair. also i want a fire or red saddle pair of clowns. these are really cool and i never seen a pair. always coming up with something thats cool and i want.

anyone know of someone with a pair of clarkii or fire, let me know please.

if i ever win the lottery i am gonna buy a pair of every clown and put them in their own cubes with a nem and gawk at them all like a zoo or public aquarium. hehe

thinking of getting a small frag tank to grow out some of my zoas cause they are getting out of hand. plus my buddy is removing all his corals from his 120 and going fowler so i get to raise them too.

picked up a spawning pair of clarkii tonight and a single female fire. no idea why i wanted a clarkii pair, but i just went for it. want to try and raise a few soon. the spawned for a few years. they soawned a few days ago and we both were gentle delivering them to and from and i hope they dont skip a beat.

also scored a free female fire clown. its very pretty, so much nicer than in pics you see. hope to find her a boy toy soon. and hopefully she dont kill him. Fires are notorious for killing mates and being downright mean as hell.

quick pics with my iphone.

87bf7255.jpg

e24219fc.jpg

844dce14.jpg

fire female.

7aa5fc5d.jpg

2585bd71.jpg

Archived