Photo

~ Candy Land ~ New Pics up Radions are UP! Tons of Top Downs.

• Please log in to reply
5599 replies to this topic

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC

All those views and no responses?

Just want to know that my plan of attack is right and if I can get a CUC to kill this algae that is taking over due to the damn LFS that gave me phosphates!

Thanks guys

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
There's lots of Lookie Lous on here :lol: I think it sounds safe to get a cuc now. Running GFO and Carbon would be a good idea for now, I wouldn't use the bio rings, they are basically bioballs and a nitrate factory, I would just leave the third container empty. Getting some macro would help as well. Your tank is coming together nicely B)

Posted Image

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
Thanks just wanted to know before I placed the order with ReefCleaners on Wednesday and did the HUGE water change.

I will add the GFO and carbon on Wed as well since that is $$$ day ;)

Thanks for the re JoelRHale

Oh should I phase them out slowly (Bio Rings) or just yank them, shouldn't matter as there isn't anything in the tank! LMAO :P

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
OMG! There is something alive in my tank! omgomgomg :scarry:

Guess the filter feeders have decided they like it now, but I have this one that is baffling!

Looks like a Barnicle, but the shell is clean white and the filter feeder is curved and moves very quickly!

I am working on uploading the pics!

Ok its the white thing next to the red part of the LR.
2011_09_11_12_45_04_976.jpg

I think it is a barnacle but I want to be sure.

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
Better pic. Looks like a smiley face.

2011_09_11_12_59_47_774.jpg

Googled it. It is a barnacle!

Do I have to feed it?

I thought 2-4 hours dry would kill a lot of the life on the LR but I guess not.

Tiny tube worms seem to be spreading too...

Know it's normal and this is my tank growing but it is so cool!

P.S. I named him Barnie-clease

Edited by FlCandy, 11 September 2011 - 09:22 AM.

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
Here are pics of that Odyessa skimmer. This is after 2-3 days. I was skimming very dry. I like this skimmer.
2011_09_11_15_07_26_979.jpg

2011_09_11_15_05_59_350.jpg

Tested Params!

SG 1.026 (getting it checked on Wednesday when I get 15 gallons of premix I am going to have them test in front of me, and 5 gallons of RODI just in case I need to add some FW to lower it.)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 Still very happy with this

PO4 Reading at 0.5 ppm

Doing a 15 gallon water change this Wednesday and then repeating over the weekend.
I am ordering my CUC from reefcleaners on Wednesday as well and my 2 koraila 750 powerheads.

Can I hook the Mag 7 up to my skimmer to improve the skimming? I am impressed but I would like to get more, may just be as I don't have anything to really skim right now also but was thinking...

Edited by FlCandy, 11 September 2011 - 03:24 PM.

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
Large water change is done, GFO and carbon is added and I picked up one of the Hydor Koralia 750, can i say WOW what an awesome little Powerhead!

I have it opposite the return of the Fluval and then kept the smaller one in there too so now I have quite a bit of flow. Very impressed.

New Params will be up in 3-4 days per the GFO instructions as I have to test for phosphates and possibly replace it then!

Thanks guys for your help and following along, the new LFS is tiny but nice and everything is very happy and healthy there, had to resist getting my Black clown as they had one there! LOL

Reefcleaners order will get placed this evening after I go grocery shopping!

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Wooohoo!

What else do you want in it besides clowns? You've probably said but I'm just being lazy and also realizing that a lot of times stocking plans change :lol:

Posted Image

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
I plan on

Pair of Black Clowns
Randalli Goby and Pistol shrimp pair(Can I possibly add another shrimp/goby pair to this tank and be safe?)
Cleaner shrimp
6 line wrasse
and down the line a Mandarin Dragonette
(I would love a Flame Angel but I don't want to take the chance with my corals.)

Plan on being a mixed reef but until I am sure I can keep SPS and have Phosphates down to near nothing will I even think of adding them.

Looking to start on Zoas, a Frogspawn, and idk what else. ;)

So making some headway here, hopefully in the next week or 2 I can get my first frags and fish! I will keep updating, just been really busy.

I plan on doing another 4-5 gallon water change this Sunday or so when I check the PO4 and poss change the GFO and carbon.

Forgot how awesome Carbon is water is nearly clear and I changed it only 3 hours ago. :D

Keep you guys posted.

BTW my fricking back hurts! I weigh 110lbs and the 5 gallon buckets are fricking heavy! :P
I never listen to the hubby, I lift big dogs all day and buckets don't fight with you.

OK Update:
New Params after water change
SG 1.024 on Hydrometer (figured as it was reading at 1.028 at the LFS with refractometer and my Hydrometer was reading 1.026 to lower it to this and I got it exactly)
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

And PO4 is reading 0.25ppm - I will recheck in 3-4 days and probably change another 5 gallons out and the GFO and Carbon

YAY! Hopefully I will be posting pics of fish and corals soon! And the LFS has the bulbs I need too!

Edited by FlCandy, 14 September 2011 - 02:51 PM.

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Nice list B) you'll really like the sixline, it's one of my absoute favorites.

With your params like that I'd say you're good for a first fish or coral a week after your cuc arrives.

I am the same way about the flame angel. You have no idea how bad I want one. But on top of the questionable safety, they also seem to have a reputation of being short lived in captivity. I think I will get some clowns instead. There's really just not a lot of red fish as bright as a flame angel sadly.

Posted Image

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC

Nice list B) you'll really like the sixline, it's one of my absoute favorites.

With your params like that I'd say you're good for a first fish or coral a week after your cuc arrives.

I am the same way about the flame angel. You have no idea how bad I want one. But on top of the questionable safety, they also seem to have a reputation of being short lived in captivity. I think I will get some clowns instead. There's really just not a lot of red fish as bright as a flame angel sadly.

I have had the 6-line before I loved him in my Fish Only tank just wanted another their beautiful and silly.

I chose the clowns in exchange for the Flame, I plan on going with some very bright Zoas and etc anyways ;)

I think I am going to get first fish and frags in 2 weeks, so about a week and a half after CUC arrival.

So excited more life in the tank! Can't wait.

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
New pics got some Neon Green coming out on the rocks and some bright reds and a ton of purple.

Hope the pics are okay took them with my phone! :P

You can see the neon and purple and red coming out and the GHA is going away since I put the GFO and Carbon in the filter. I think the new power head helped a lot too. I will get #2 when I get my fish and first corals in 2 weeks.

Sorry if I put the embedded image in it is way too big. This is my image shack profile and these are 3MP pics with my camera phone. And the pics don't do the green justice. ;)

Thanks for looking

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
omgomgomg

Phosphates are reading at/near 0!!! Just a slight color differences in the test!

YAY! Excited! I am watching the GHA turn lighter and then die! Amazing! :D

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
All Parameters are reading 0!

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
PO4 0ppm <-- :happydance:
PH 8.2

I am there guys! Time for a CUC and a 5 gallon water change and scrub some rocks and we are there!

Probably going to get the first clowns next week and the CUC today hopefully the LFS has something worth a damn for a CUC (snails etc)

Thanks again for helping guys and I can't wait to get pics up for you of new fish!

OH I am running carbon and GFO but my water is still cloudy, I came home for lunch yesterday and turned the tank lights on (this was at noon) and got home at 7 and the tank had clouded up, I think it was algae, so no light today and tomorrow, just blues and then we will see. Any other suggestions? Skimmer is skimming wet in hopes I can get some out of the water.

Woogalie

Woogalie

Juggys FTW

• Members
  • 820 posts
  • Joined 26 Jul 2011
  • West Covina, CA.

Probably going to get the first clowns next week and the CUC today hopefully the LFS has something worth a damn for a CUC (snails etc)

So excited to see what clowns you get! Also whats up with LFS never having any decent CUC available? I think im gonna place my order with reefcleaners this week. I cant rely on my LFS having 1-3 unknown snails that cost $3 a piece.

YAY FICANDY

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC

So excited to see what clowns you get! Also whats up with LFS never having any decent CUC available? I think im gonna place my order with reefcleaners this week. I cant rely on my LFS having 1-3 unknown snails that cost $3 a piece.

YAY FICANDY

LMAO I know I can count on the Blue Legged Hermits as I know everyone wants at least one but I need both astrea snails and Narassis, and I would like a few dwarf cerths but who knows for sure!

I am getting black clowns just like you the Hubby wants them so I will get that color for him. I wanted a Snowflake or a Picasso but NO he wants the EMO fish! LMAO fricking Techno freak he is! ;)

Woogalie

Woogalie

Juggys FTW

• Members
  • 820 posts
  • Joined 26 Jul 2011
  • West Covina, CA.
Black and white clowns! yaaaa

They really stand out in the tank, AND no noobs have identified it as a "Nemo"... grrrr Have you found a pair or a place to get one?

Squared

Squared

nano reefer

• Members
  • 12,076 posts
  • Joined 13 Feb 2010
  • SoCal
maybe you could get a fancy clown and a black one?

29g & NC12

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC

Black and white clowns! yaaaa

They really stand out in the tank, AND no noobs have identified it as a "Nemo"... grrrr Have you found a pair or a place to get one?

I have 2 places! The LFS I was just at is AMAZING! I was trying to not drool into the frag tanks (they have 2) and they are FULL of very nice large colonies of just about everything grown under MH. Beautiful!

And they had 4 of the Black clowns and they were missbarred!

Oh and they had everything for a CUC Narssius, Certh, and hermits! even had others but went small for now.

maybe you could get a fancy clown and a black one?

Meh..

I like the black against the brighter background now that I have seen them, can't wait for next week! :D

Oh and that LFS said my water was perfect except for Calcium was at 350 and alk was 6.
I will be getting tests and maybe start dosing for these lightly until I get it where it needs to be!

Edited by FlCandy, 17 September 2011 - 12:05 PM.

Squared

Squared

nano reefer

• Members
  • 12,076 posts
  • Joined 13 Feb 2010
  • SoCal
don't meh me!!!! :tears:

get some pictchurs

Edited by Squared, 17 September 2011 - 12:18 PM.

29g & NC12

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC

don't meh me!!!! :tears:

get some pictchurs

LOL

Will do their still in bags so their really PO give me a few minutes! ;)

Squared

Squared

nano reefer

• Members
  • 12,076 posts
  • Joined 13 Feb 2010
  • SoCal
oh so you got the clowns already?

Edited by Squared, 17 September 2011 - 12:23 PM.

29g & NC12

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
No silly next week the CUC is all I have you said pics so I am getting pics.

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
Ok at Squarer's request here are the snails and hermits.
2011_09_17_16_23_05_985.jpg
Very po
2011_09_17_16_23_14_77.jpg

2011_09_17_16_22_59_476.jpg

Squared

Squared

nano reefer

• Members
  • 12,076 posts
  • Joined 13 Feb 2010
  • SoCal
what is very po?