20gal Commerson's Angler Paradise

altolamprologus

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
is it possible for anglers to jump?

any updates?

I doubt it. They don't swim with their fins like other fish do so they can't get the speed needed to break the surface tension. They usually stay on the rocks and when they do swim, it's by pulling water in through the mouth and shooting it out the gills, and they go really slow.

No updates at the moment. They tank is starting to be overrun by hair algae but I have a plan to fix that and get it looking great again :ninja:

he's a real monster! lolol :wub:

Yeah he's at least 3 times the size of when I got him

I like his yellow fingers. :)

I'm not sure why they look yellow, they're actually white. Either way, I love his "fingers" too. They've always been my favorite part of him.

IMG_8236.jpg

Blobby has gotten so big!

I thought we were calling this cutie Blobbosaurus rex? Or Batman?

I think a side by side pic of him in Altos hand when he first arrived and this one should be posted.

Pweeze. :flower:

altolamprologus
I thought we were calling this cutie Blobbosaurus rex? Or Batman?

I think a side by side pic of him in Altos hand when he first arrived and this one should be posted.

Pweeze. :flower:

Blobbosaurus Rex. Idk where you got batman from...

As you wish :wizard:

August 2011

angler.jpg

June 2012

IMG_8236.jpg

are commersons big anglerfish?

Yep. He'll be about the size of a football when fully grown.

Yep. He'll be about the size of a football when fully grown.

WHOA. THAT'S BIG. :scarry:

He only gained like... what... an inch? lawl. :lol:

How long until your little baby reaches full maturity? And are you gonna get him/her a partner? :D

And how can it get to the size of a football if they only live for two years...? :tears:

Actually, that size comparison is a little off, as that's my hand in the first pic, but you still get the point :P

What are you going to do once he gets even bigger?

altolamprologus
WHOA. THAT'S BIG. :scarry:

He only gained like... what... an inch? lawl. :lol:

How long until your little baby reaches full maturity? And are you gonna get him/her a partner? :D

And how can it get to the size of a football if they only live for two years...? :tears:

Like yoshii said, it's hard to see just how big he has gotten. The first pic is yoshii's hand, which is smaller than mine in the second pic. He's also at an angle in the second one so he looks smaller. In the first pic he's about 2/3 of an inch and now he's close to 3 inches.

He'll probably reach maturity in a few years as he's still quite small in comparison to a full grown adult. I'm not sure where you got 2 years from, but they live much longer than that. Predatory fish are generally long lived and large ones live even longer. At his rate of growth I estimate he'll live at least a decade, probably much more with proper care.

Actually, that size comparison is a little off, as that's my hand in the first pic, but you still get the point :P

What are you going to do once he gets even bigger?

I was thinking maybe a 55 or 40 breeder. He'll be in the 20 for a while though.

Jacob042426
I was thinking maybe a 55 or 40 breeder. He'll be in the 20 for a while though.

a 55 wont be much room, as its only 12" wide. 40b is really 44 gallons and has a nice big footprint.

altolamprologus
a 55 wont be much room, as its only 12" wide. 40b is really 44 gallons and has a nice big footprint.

Adults just sit around doing nothing so he really only needs extra room to account for bioload. 12 inches probably isn't wide enough to turn around though. Maybe a 40b with a 40b sump. Idk I still have a couple years to figure it out

So are you going to get it a bofo/gofo? Can one easily tell the sex of an adult angler? Will two of the same gender fight? How would you pair it? :huh:

altolamprologus
So are you going to get it a bofo/gofo? Can one easily tell the sex of an adult angler? Will two of the same gender fight? How would you pair it? :huh:

As far as I know, there is no sexual dimorphism present in this species. Pairing most anglers consists of putting several together and watching for any mating behavior. I'm not willing to take the risk of one being eaten so I'm not going to get him a buddy. Plus the cost of a giant angler would be ridiculous.

altolamprologus
hey alto, i gots a question for ya. i have a 750 GPH koralia, is that too much for an angler? in my 17.4g?

Yeah that's way too much. My angler occasionally has issues with my 240 GPH powerheads

ok. it'll be easy to downgrade pumps, it's an LPS tank.

you think the stinging tentacles of the coral could harm the fish if it rests on it?

altolamprologus

you think the stinging tentacles of the coral could harm the fish if it rests on it?

Yes they will. I saw my angler get stung by aipastia and that's nothing compared to an lps sting.

Bongo Shrimp

Remember anglers have skin instead of scales. They can get cuts, stings, and infections way more easily than most other SW fish. They don't even have a slime coat.

They feel really cool though.

Bongo Shrimp
Are they able to distinguish a safe perching spot versus a place it could get stung?

Nope they just go wherever without thinking.

Remember anglers have skin instead of scales. They can get cuts, stings, and infections way more easily than most other SW fish. They don't even have a slime coat.

They feel really cool though.

Ohmaigawsh, so they's like people-fish! :o

They have an epididymis!

RustyRocket

a word of warning...dont even put ricordeas in with them! I wanted mine to get more colourful bt he got stung by them...there is nothing in the tank with him, its just base rock, sand and 3 ricordeas. Next morning after feeding i found the underside of his bulging belly full of red sting marks...I ask the UK forum, some guy mentioned that the area were wartys come from have very few stingers, more sponges, soft coral and SPS. Rics came straight out.

alto :( still no luck with the tongs...the thing just doesnt like anything big moving around...im holding live shrimps in chopsticks in the water, making sure the shrimp can move. tried holding it infront of him and in a corner, no interest at all, but he gobbled it up as soon as i took the tongs out of the water...*sigh* i guess its a life of buying shrimps for him...

altolamprologus
a word of warning...dont even put ricordeas in with them! I wanted mine to get more colourful bt he got stung by them...there is nothing in the tank with him, its just base rock, sand and 3 ricordeas. Next morning after feeding i found the underside of his bulging belly full of red sting marks...I ask the UK forum, some guy mentioned that the area were wartys come from have very few stingers, more sponges, soft coral and SPS. Rics came straight out.

Yeah I wouldn't put any corals with anglers. I have some NPS but they're on the sandbed and the angler rarely goes down there. Sorry you had to find out the hard way

alto :( still no luck with the tongs...the thing just doesnt like anything big moving around...im holding live shrimps in chopsticks in the water, making sure the shrimp can move. tried holding it infront of him and in a corner, no interest at all, but he gobbled it up as soon as i took the tongs out of the water...*sigh* i guess its a life of buying shrimps for him...

Try getting a clear pipette. You should be able to get some online for cheap. I use a pipette and suction the food onto the end of it to feed my angler frozen food. He doesn't seem to see the pipette, he just goes straight for the food.

Archived