Coral Vue Hydros

20gal Commerson's Angler Paradise

altolamprologus

altolamprologus
This is spam but who cares because YOU'LL LOVE IT!

Okay, so I was sitting in science today while my teacher was talking about bunnies. I see this giant thing swimming in her fish tank. She kills all of her fish because she forgets to feed them. Expecting it to be a giant goldfish, I waddle over there and look... OMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOMGOMGGOMGOMG AN AXOLOTL!!! But it gets better... TWO AXOLOTLS! One was white with pink fluff and the other was gray and spotted with black. So I'm like, "OMJ MISSES SCIENCE TEACHTEACH, WHERE DID YOU BUY THESE?" And she was all like, "I actually got them from a friend. They're FREAKING GENETICALLY MODIFIED WITH JELLY FISH GENES TO FREAKING GLOW THE FRICK IN THE FRIGGIN DARK! But they're illegal..." So I was all like, "Why do you have them then? Where can I buy one?" And she was like all "Mr. science teachteach down the way, yeah his sister works for fish and game and they confiscated over 100 genetically modified glow in the day axolotls, and since they didn't want to kill them, they gave them to the employees. Then she gave a bunch to Mr. science teachteach down the way and he gave some to me and other Mr. science teachteach down the way too!" And I was like all, "Whaaaa?!!! Neeeeh! DX!"

So there you have it. My science teacher has glow-in-the-dark axolotls that she has no idea how to take care of and I get the privilege of watching them glow while learning about bunnies. :happy:

And I took pictures that I'll upload later. ;)

I'll take them off her hands and give them proper care :D Seriously, I will. If she wants them to have a good home I can take them.

Did she say why they're illegal? I was under the impression that only the wild caught ones were illegal because they have a very limited range and are practically extinct. I thought captive bred axolotls were perfectly legal?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll take them off her hands and give them proper care :D Seriously, I will. If she wants them to have a good home I can take them.

Did she say why they're illegal? I was under the impression that only the wild caught ones were illegal because they have a very limited range and are practically extinct. I thought captive bred axolotls were perfectly legal?

They're illegal because they're genetically modified. They couldn't risk that getting out into the wild population, then there would be furry glowing water lizards.

i want an axolotl!

That's why I asked her where she got them. I wanted seven. :(

altolamprologus
They're illegal because they're genetically modified. They couldn't risk that getting out into the wild population, then there would be furry glowing water lizards.

That's why I asked her where she got them. I wanted seven. :(

Are you sure they're axolotls and not water dogs? Axolotls are native to lake Xochimilco in Mexico and would not survive in the wild here. But water dogs are tiger salamander larvae that look a lot like axolotls and would survive if they got out. I see genetically modified axolotls for sale all the time but water dogs would be a different story

i want an axolotl!

I have one :P

Are you sure they're axolotls and not water dogs? Axolotls are native to lake Xochimilco in Mexico and would not survive in the wild here. But water dogs are tiger salamander larvae that look a lot like axolotls and would survive if they got out. I see genetically modified axolotls for sale all the time but water dogs would be a different story

What does a water dog look like? These looked just like your axolotl... They had pink fluffy gills. The white one was walking on the gravel and the gray one was swimming at the top, kinda sitting in the anacharis. Could've been water dogs, link me to a pic of one?

altolamprologus
What does a water dog look like? These looked just like your axolotl... They had pink fluffy gills. The white one was walking on the gravel and the gray one was swimming at the top, kinda sitting in the anacharis. Could've been water dogs, link me to a pic of one?

They look exactly like axolotls I could probably tell the difference if you got me a few good pics, but they really look like the same species up until water dogs metamorphose into adult tiger salamanders

They look exactly like axolotls I could probably tell the difference if you got me a few good pics, but they really look like the same species up until water dogs metamorphose into adult tiger salamanders

Nope, not a water dog. These didn't have those sticks that the fluff was on... I think. I'll post pics in a little bit. :3

altolamprologus
Nope, not a water dog. These didn't have those sticks that the fluff was on... I think. I'll post pics in a little bit. :3

Both species have "sticks" that support the gills. Send me pics via PM. I don't want more spam in this thread

altolamprologus
you have most of my dream pets. :(

do you have any reptile?

A 4.5 foot black and white banded California kingsnake

IMG_1187.jpg

and a 2 foot gopher snake are the only reptiles I have right now. But I also have 3 birds, a rabbit, a 5 footed albino frog (the fifth foot has 2 toes and is growing out of the ankle of one of his back legs), 2 other albino frog tadpoles, and a bunch of other fishtanks.

Jacob042426

sweet king! my cousin has 2 burms that he caught, a ball python,a 4 ft. redtail boa, and 2 pinesnakes.

i used to have a baby everglades racer that i actually got to be hold-able! my cousin was shocked because usually baby racers are adhd and are almost always impossible to hold.

here is my 6 month old ball that i got a reptile convention for $15!

2012-04-02_18-12-23_405.jpg

2012-04-02_18-12-38_615.jpg

i am hoping to get a hognose at the next convention, they are my dream snake! :lol:

altolamprologus

Nice! A hognose would be awesome. I used to have a few red striped racers that I caught and kept in a tank together. They would breed like crazy and I would feed the babies to my kingsnake. He goes nuts over snakes!

Oh I used to have a colombian taegu. He was pretty badass but my brother killed him :/

sweet king! my cousin has 2 burms that he caught, a ball python,a 4 ft. redtail boa, and 2 pinesnakes.

i used to have a baby everglades racer that i actually got to be hold-able! my cousin was shocked because usually baby racers are adhd and are almost always impossible to hold.

here is my 6 month old ball that i got a reptile convention for $15!

2012-04-02_18-12-23_405.jpg

2012-04-02_18-12-38_615.jpg

i am hoping to get a hognose at the next convention, they are my dream snake! :lol:

Give him a warm water bath he had an impartial shed and that is not good. ;)

Just make sure he always has a full shed, if there is anything left on him it should be softened with a warm water bath or a Q-tip with warm water until it is soft and flakes off. Otherwise they can end up losing the tip of their tails from it cutting the circulation off.

Pretty Ball python though! I had one and I want a grey banded king.

Jacob042426
Give him a warm water bath he had an impartial shed and that is not good. ;)

Just make sure he always has a full shed, if there is anything left on him it should be softened with a warm water bath or a Q-tip with warm water until it is soft and flakes off. Otherwise they can end up losing the tip of their tails from it cutting the circulation off.

Pretty Ball python though! I had one and I want a grey banded king.

i took that pic right before i did that! :lol:

Jacob042426
Nice! A hognose would be awesome. I used to have a few red striped racers that I caught and kept in a tank together. They would breed like crazy and I would feed the babies to my kingsnake. He goes nuts over snakes!

Oh I used to have a colombian taegu. He was pretty badass but my brother killed him :/

i miss my racer... my cousin snapped its neck when i wasnt there!

my cousin had a cali king that was like the black night in monty python and the holy grail. :lol:

it would escape for months and come back half eaten by cats and would recover and escape again. it lived in his sister's room for 4 months without food!

i have 4 leopard geckos and an orange sandfire bearded dragon. :)

altolamprologus

Yoshii was just here with a nice fancy camera so there should be a huge pic dump coming shortly....

altolamprologus
Where is the angler?

Not visible in those pics. He's in some of the later pics so you'll see him when Yoshii gets the others up.

Archived