Top Shelf Aquatics

20gal Commerson's Angler Paradise

altolamprologus

altolamprologus

After studying an angler identification guide for eons, I have determined the black blob of doom is indeed a commerson's anglerfish :scarry: The good news is he probably won't outgrow his current tank for at least 3-4 years.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After studying an angler identification guide for eons, I have determined the black blob of doom is indeed a commerson's anglerfish :scarry: The good news is he probably won't outgrow his current tank for at least 3-4 years.

So it'll be a giant blob of doom! Don't let him mistake your fingers for food! :eek:

altolamprologus
So it'll be a giant blob of doom! Don't let him mistake your fingers for food! :eek:

Lol yeah, but they don't have teeth so if he does mistake me for food, I can just pull my hand out of his stomach :lol:

altolamprologus
The pictures look great!

Thanks, yoshii took them with her fancy new camera :)

Lookin' good!

:D

What led you to this conclusion? His esca certainly looks like A. pictus. Can't wait for more blob of doom videos.

altolamprologus
What led you to this conclusion? His esca certainly looks like A. pictus. Can't wait for more blob of doom videos.

I based it off of illicium length and the shape of the second dorsal fin. An A. pictus would have an illicium that extends past the sencond dorsal, while an A. commersoni has one that extends to the very front of the second dorsal, which is what my angler has. Mine also has a very large and rounded second dorsal typical of A. commersoni. You are right about the esca looking like that of A. pictus. The worm-like streamers have slowly been developing over the last couple months and is changing from looking like that of an A. pictus to that of an A. commersoni. Also A. pictus juvis are almost always black with orange spots and blue fin edges. Mine has always been jet black.

Thanks yoshii. It only took 150 pics of the damsels to get 4 good ones :lol:

Lol ikr, I need more practice

They are super cute tho, are there still three left? :)

altolamprologus
Lol ikr, I need more practice

They are super cute tho, are there still three left? :)

Nope, another one got eatena little while ago. Down to two. They seem to have learned to stay away from him though so I don't think they'll be eaten. I kind of like having just the two of them. It adds enough color without being too much of a bioload.

Looks so happy and fat!

:happy:

Thanks :) But that's an understatement. More like ecstatic and obese :lol:

Hey Alto: i fed a new food called cyclops. I thought it was the same as cyclopeez but the eez is a very red food, this is more brine shrimp color but is copepods for sure. Any idea if it is just a brand difference or if eez put color or gut load their copepods?

altolamprologus
Hey Alto: i fed a new food called cyclops. I thought it was the same as cyclopeez but the eez is a very red food, this is more brine shrimp color but is copepods for sure. Any idea if it is just a brand difference or if eez put color or gut load their copepods?

I think the difference is because of different species of pods. They're both cyclopoid copepods, but probably aren't even in the same genus, accounting for the color difference. Or they could be dyed, I really don't know :lol:

Dyed! EEKS

Ingredients

Cyclops, Soy Protein Isolate, Wheat Gluten, Fish Meal, Wheat Starch, Fish Oil, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Yeast Extract, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Inositol, Niacin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (stabilized Vitamin C), D-Calcium Pantothenate, A-Tocopherol-Acetate (source of Vitamin E), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin A Palmitate (source of Vitamin A), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3), Biotin, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Zinc Sulfate Monohydrate, Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate and Cobalt Acetate. Color Includes: Red 3 Dye.

altolamprologus
Dyed! EEKS

Ingredients

Cyclops, Soy Protein Isolate, Wheat Gluten, Fish Meal, Wheat Starch, Fish Oil, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Yeast Extract, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Inositol, Niacin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (stabilized Vitamin C), D-Calcium Pantothenate, A-Tocopherol-Acetate (source of Vitamin E), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin A Palmitate (source of Vitamin A), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3), Biotin, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Zinc Sulfate Monohydrate, Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate and Cobalt Acetate. Color Includes: Red 3 Dye.

Figures. I might try the non-dyed ones then

altolamprologus
PYA just posted a picture of a halloween angler. How do they get that pattern!

That's a baby painted angler. They get that pattern through genetics :P

Archived