Blue ochtodes

Pencil cap (Penicillus capitatus)

Yellow Eucheuma

Palm caulerpa (Caulerpa paspaloides)

Cymopolia barbata

NPS

Red finger gorgonian

Yellow finger gorgonian

Tubastraea sp. (5 polyp yellow colony, 75+ polyp orange colony, 30+ polyp orange branching colony)

Orange flower tree (Scleronepthya sp.)

Blue sponge

Various non-colonial tunicates (clear, purple, yellow)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post:

I've had this tank as freshwater for 10 years

IMG_0963.jpg

But I doesn't interest me nearly as much as my reef, so I'm taking it down and converting it to saltwater for this awesome painted angler:

angler.jpg

The fish are being taken to an LFS tomorrow and then I will take down the tank and set it up as a saltwater. I already have pretty much everything I need, except for a small powerhead and liverock, which I will pick up on monday. I'm also replacing the tank because it is after all a decade old. It has a few scratches and the silicon is stained from methylene blue and has a TON of bubbles in it.

I'll post pics soon :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
I'm so excited for this tank! omgomgomg

But you did forget to mention the amazing macro forest it will be :)

Oh thanks, I did forget that! I can't wait at all to finally get rid of the fish and be able to convert the tank. Hopefully I can do it all tomorrow :D

altolamprologus

Sorry, no new pics. But a quick update: I traded in all my fish to my LFS and took down the tank yesterday (sunday) then set it back up with 30 pounds of live sand, 10 pounds of live rock, and of couse, saltwater.

I tested the water today and so far no cycle, so I'm hoping I don't get a cycle at all. The live rock was pre-cured, and I kept it wet, so there should have been little to no die-off.

So today I added halymeda and a blue sponge(yes, I'm feeding the sponge. Please don't get on my a$$ about my tank being too young)

I will be getting a pair of mollies probably next weekend and then hopefully soon I'll be getting my angler. He's sitting at the LFS waiting for me :wub:

altolamprologus
are the mollies food?

Kind of. I'm keeping them for the sole purpose of using the babies as food, but the adults won't be food themselves.

altolamprologus
the mollies produce ALOT of waste lol i had some in my tank a few months ago. they eat ALOT of algae too!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on my params. Do they eat ornamental macro algae, or just micro?

fingerscrossed the sponge will live

Did you scape it yesterday too? :)

The sponge seems to be doing ok, but it's only been one day so that doesn't say much.

I scaped it on sunday. Not much "scaping" was done because there's only 2 rocks :lol:

altolamprologus
mine just ate micro like the slime and stuff off the glass and such

That's what I thought. I really hope they don't aquire a taste for macros.

altolamprologus
FTS please? :) Or is it still cloudy?

Not "still", "again". It was perfectly clear but then my idiot self decided to partially pull out the filter floss to see how covered in sand dust it was and it released a cloud of dust. Let's just say my tank looked like it was filled with milk instead of water. I'm mixing water for a water change and I'm going to siphon the dust the settled on the LR and on top of the sandbed.

I'll post a few pics from yesterday when I'm done eating. I would do it now, but the tacos are calling my name, you know how it is.

Not "still", "again". It was perfectly clear but then my idiot self decided to partially pull out the filter floss to see how covered in sand dust it was and it released a cloud of dust. Let's just say my tank looked like it was filled with milk instead of water. I'm mixing water for a water change and I'm going to siphon the dust the settled on the LR and on top of the sandbed.

I'll post a few pics from yesterday when I'm done eating. I would do it now, but the tacos are calling my name, you know how it is.

:lol: You can try paper towels or coffee filter too

I want a taco -_-

altolamprologus
:lol: You can try paper towels or coffee filter too

I want a taco -_-

Oh I'll try a coffee filter!!

Homemade tacos too!!

Oh I'll try a coffee filter!!

Homemade tacos too!!

I used those & paper towels when I set up a tank using oolite sand, IME it works better than filter floss

Ok I'm sorry, but my mom makes the best homemade tacos ever

altolamprologus
Ok I'm sorry, but my mom makes the best homemade tacos ever

That is just a flat out lie. I make the best home-made tacos. End of discussion. No more spamming my thread :P

You're both wrong. I buy the best homemade tacos from Trader Joe's. They own life, plus their tacos are tiny and organic. :D

altolamprologus
You're both wrong. I buy the best homemade tacos from Trader Joe's. They own life, plus their tacos are tiny and organic. :D

You bought them= not home made= doesn't belong in this conversation :P

On another note, I tried to get some pics on here, but I only have my phone camera and for some reason photobucket doesn't recognize the photos are there(even though when I open my picture folder from the comp they are there) and I can't just copy and paste them into a post.

So no pics for you. Blame Yoshii for me not having a camera.

altolamprologus

The water is now completely clear and the sponge seems to be doing well(hasn't died yet or lost color so I take that as a good sign). It's too early to tell is there's any growth on the halimeda though. I added a few hundred tigger pods from my cultures so I'm hoping those breeding there. I have been feeding live phyto and oyster feast everyday as well as a few flakes and mysis to keep the biological filtration up since there's no fish.

Archived