inTank Media Baskets

Garibaldi? What do you guys think.

AquaticEngineer

the pet store I used to work at used to get them here and there shipped as orange damsels. they used to have them sold before they hit the store too. at about $400 each.

i only remember 3-4 of them going through the store. other than being orange its a fairly boring fish lol

AquaticEngineer
i only remember 3-4 of them going through the store. other than being orange its a fairly boring fish lol

Very true, and not worthe the price most places are asking for them. Even when they are priced in the $80 range I still thing that is too much for a fish that is as aggressive and territorial as the Garibaldi.

The only reason I considered one in the first place is that it is a relatively colorful fish. But I've since found fish that are just as colorful that live in temperate waters where I can collect them, and are not aggressive.

Things like the High Cockscomb:

3227204105_b08641df0b.jpg

3228067192_6eaef9cd34.jpg

AquaticEngineer
You could try a Catalina Gobi if you want something orange and blue that isn't going to be the size of an Emperor Angel at maturity.

I think I have like 10 already :D

• 2 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer
Have you found any of those orange high cockscombs? I've only found the darker coloration so far.

Not intertidally yet. Got diver confirmation of them up north in Puget sound and BC, and as far south as Florence. Now that I'm starting to free dive/snorkel/dive I imagine I'll have a better chance of finding them.

I'm building my own slurp gun, and also a modified dredge gun for collecting stuff. We'll see if they work for those little buggers back in the crevices.

AquaticEngineer
we need to go collecting up north. All the good stuff is in the sound.

Yeah but the downside in WA is that unless is says you can take it, then you can't take it up there.

Only thing that I could for sure go up there and get with a non-resident fishing license that would be cool in a temperate water tank is a Bobtail Squid or another GPO.

They have a limit of 1 GPO per person per day with no size restrictions, and a limit of 5 qts or 10lbs of squid.

AquaticEngineer
Pretty boring IME. :D

True.

Unless your intending to have a dedicated system to house them in on a reverse light schedule with dimmed red lights so you can view them, and as an end goal intend to be the only person offering them for sale......

....which I may or may not be planning to do...... :ninja:

True.

Unless your intending to have a dedicated system to house them in on a reverse light schedule with dimmed red lights so you can view them, and as an end goal intend to be the only person offering them for sale......

....which I may or may not be planning to do...... :ninja:

Very cool. :)

Archived