Pod Your Reef

My 2.5-Gallon Soon to be Dwarf Seahorse Tank!

Fishgirl2393

So what I did was slightly modify one of those acrylic breeders to allow slightly more flow and placed it in my main.

Would love to see pictures if you have any. Currently building an acrylic in tank refugium specifically for dwarfs to eat frozen/prepared foods. Emphasis on flow and keeping the food in the water column for them to feed.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@M@!: That's great (about your seahorse starting to eat again)! I'm going to leave them in the tank they're in for a bit longer and if I need to, I'll slowly establish another tank for them.

@sillycupid: Good luck! I'll try to post pictures within the next few days (I've got some but I need to be somewhere else to post them because I have limited internet/internet cap at my house). Mine eat frozen (adult brine and baby brine, I haven't tried cyclop-eeze or anything else but plan on doing it) if I offer it first thing in the morning but I haven't had the time to completely convert them to that yet because of babies in the tank and just being too busy. I'm glad there are more "pony" keepers now!

@Jacob042426: I got mine from ccritters.com and I highly recommend them. They sent me one extra adult and they all arrived healthy and fine (even after a mishap with the USPS and 4 days in the mail!). One had babies in the bag but, unfortunately, I wasn't able to raise them past 3 weeks (I don't think they were getting enough food in the tank with the adults).

That is awesome! Do you know if the ponies from reefs2go.com are any good? They cost $15 less than ccritters and have cheaper shipping.

I really don't know. I haven't heard anything bad about them though. I went with the USPS shipping option and was pretty happy. The ponies are so fun to watch! They come to the front of the tank now in the morning expecting to be fed! :D

Seahorses are so much work. But it was pretty easy to switch them to frozen cyclops. They weren't very rewarding or interesting after a few months though.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is no documentation on the entire web of someone training a dwarf zosterae to eat frozen cyclopeeze. Ive seen it in type a lot of times, in web threads, but not ever a video or pics.

If you guys have the links for zosterae that will eat frozen food of any kind send me a pm immediately I will build my first pico in 6 years with that knowledge, its a dream Ive always had.

RayJ on 3reef is a very, very reputable seahorse sage and I have old threads where he said it couldn't be done so I had given up on the idea. let me know if you guys know any that eat frozen for sure, bbs are terrible hassle

Well, that's true (although I think I remember seeing a Youtube video of someones ponies eating frozen bbs) for the most part. I don't think it's really common yet (just like for a while, large seahorses didn't eat frozen).

I've never seen them sold and eating frozen but I think (based on some reactions of all of mine and in particular one seahorse in my tank) that they can be taught to do it (I also think if you start babies off in a separate tank and add frozen as soon as possible that it would be easier). I noticed with my baby seahorses that they were very interested in the frozen food even though I fed live food too. I'm planning to try frozen food more because my seahorses recognize when I'm about to feed them and come to the front of the tank so I think they might eat whatever I put in now. Will keep everyone posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fishgirl2393

Well, I haven't noticed any breeding behavior. Any tips on getting them to breed? Just completed a water change on their tank. They're doing great, just not breeding.

• 4 weeks later...
Fishgirl2393

Seahorses still doing good! No babies yet. :( May have to set up a new tank though because I have amphipods and while they don't harm the adult seahorses, if I have any babies (or if I've had any without knowing it), they'll get eaten/killed by them.

Fishgirl2393

Well, just found one dead seahorse. :( About a week ago I had 4 of the 7 get caught in the filter and I think this one was the one that got stuck to the filter pad inside the filter. It wasn't eating well so it would make sense. :(

Fishgirl2393

Still have six adults and think at least one of the males is pregnant (possibly two but not sure). Will see in a few days (he will be getting LARGE) if I am right or not.

Fishgirl2393

Thanks! They're really fun but hard work and a whole different type of setup is needed. Once you've got it set up, it's pretty much just feeding, changing water, etc (the same stuff as a reef tank) and making sure they don't get sick. They're awesome though!

Fishgirl2393

OK, so I got some enrichment tonight (Kent Marine Croma-Plex). I haven't enriched anything yet but will experiment with it soon!

This is pretty cool!

A fts and fes maybe?

And as far as I know you will need to build a kreisel tank for the baby ponies!

Look it up, there is a thread about breeding sexy shrimp in the invertebrate section where a really nice design of a kreisel could be found ;)

I wonder if I could get zosterea in Holland...

Jb

Fishgirl2393

I'll try and get an updated FTS up and get some close ups of the horses too. I'm going to raise babies separately from the adults but I've read with zosterae that just a small tank is fine for babies.

Archived