ReefCleaners.org

Dirty Joe's 28 Gallons of Magic

Joe Dirt

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I loaded a syringe with 10ml of it and directly injected it slowly into the affected areas. Later today I will do a WC. I will repeat this tomorrow. The LPS and softies are a little angry, but SPS is fine. I was overfeeding and dosing plankton, which is what caused the problem. H2O2 turns into oxygen and hydrogen in the tank, so I'm not too worried. I've had real good luck with H2O2 and spot cleaning equipment and LR, so I figured it was time to give it a try on the DT. :scarry:

Well, I know it's been done successfully. I'm just afraid to try it!!!!! Update us with your results when you have some :happy:

I did my 10% WC yesterday and everything looked fine. I am working nights now, so I woke up around noon and checked the tank out. Everything looks fine. A lot of the GHA is dead. I found a really fine eye dropped and I spot dosed the H2O2 exactly where it needed it most. I'll do another WC before I go to work and see what she looks like tomorrow and decide then whether or not I need another dose.

I left the tank full when I dosed. I dosed for two days and did three water changes. I have noticed that my tricolor got a little angry, but that's a sensitive coral to change. Today I changed out my GFO and carbon and I don't plan on dosing any more H2O2. I saw that most of the GHA is dying off. That, coupled with the WCs and changing the GFO is enough to get the nutrient levels back to normal. I really wish I had a sump right about now. :(

I left the tank full when I dosed. I dosed for two days and did three water changes. I have noticed that my tricolor got a little angry, but that's a sensitive coral to change. Today I changed out my GFO and carbon and I don't plan on dosing any more H2O2. I saw that most of the GHA is dying off. That, coupled with the WCs and changing the GFO is enough to get the nutrient levels back to normal. I really wish I had a sump right about now. :(

Well, that's great that your sensitive coral only got a little mad. I may have to resort to the same tactics eventually. I'm just so afraid to do it!!!!!

You have a very interesting pink acan, the main head seems to rule the roost...

The Acan Club welcomes you if you so choose :D

Hi Cj .... how is the 28g reef and yourself these days?

Going ok. I think I have the GHA problem figured out. Give it a couple weeks and we'll see. I went to vivid today and had them cut a couple frags from their mother colonies in the back of the store. I got an Aussie Highlighter to replace the one that died and a frag of their Northern Lights Granulosa. The highlighter is so bright in person; it's unbelievable. The Northern lights is just beautiful. The pictures don't do it justice. Oh, and C.J. knows how to get sizable frags :ninja:

4e39f0a5.jpg

0461c614.jpg

8f876918.jpg

You have a very interesting pink acan, the main head seems to rule the roost...

The Acan Club welcomes you if you so choose :D

I'm really into my SPS now. As a matter of fact, I'm going to sell off my frogspawn to make room for more SPS at the top. :lol:

Never seen your tank, nice sps joe,

Thanks Carrill. I'm having a helluva time getting rid of this GHA. I think the filter socks I had weren't allowing SW to pass through them (old and gross) in the rear chambers. I bought two new socks and I'm waiting to see what happens. I've done a ####-ton of WC lately and I've been dosing Alk daily to keep the params stable. I even cut back on the feedings and lowered the cup on the skimmer so that it gets out more volume of gunk. IDK man, its killing me. It affecting the color of the SPS. The lighter stuff is browning out a bit. I'm going to keep on working on getting the nutrients out of the tank and hope for the best. I really wish I had a regular tank with a sump, macros, and reactors to really keep the nutrients down. I'm going to start selling some frags and stuff I don't want anymore to save up for a bigger tank. Also, going to go with T5/LED combo on the next one. The T5s just make everything pop more than the LEDs.

I really would like to upgrade to T5s, the results are just seemingly superior to LEDs. I could be wrong though. Hell atleast it's not bryopsis. I would've rather had GHA but goodluck getting rid of it! It sucks when nutrients in the tank go out of whack.

surgicalsense
Going ok. I think I have the GHA problem figured out. Give it a couple weeks and we'll see. I went to vivid today and had them cut a couple frags from their mother colonies in the back of the store. I got an Aussie Highlighter to replace the one that died and a frag of their Northern Lights Granulosa. The highlighter is so bright in person; it's unbelievable. The Northern lights is just beautiful. The pictures don't do it justice. Oh, and C.J. knows how to get sizable frags :ninja:

4e39f0a5.jpg

0461c614.jpg

8f876918.jpg

I'm really into my SPS now. As a matter of fact, I'm going to sell off my frogspawn to make room for more SPS at the top. :lol:

Those are really pretty, I haven't been to Vivid since Gena and I made our last field trip there. You and your ninja frag moves.

Man, those are purdy!!! I so wish I had a Vivid close by me!!!

It is nice to be able to check out the goods in the back and hand pick some stuff. How's the tank going?

It is nice to be able to check out the goods in the back and hand pick some stuff. How's the tank going?

I've been to the back ;)

Beautiful new additions. I hope you place them next to each other in their permanent spots. The colors compliment each other nicely!!!!

As a matter of fact I planned on putting them next to each other. I secured the older new SPS frags into the rock work yesterday. I have another theory about the GHA too. I think the mesh bags had a factor but I also found that I have a pair psycho murdering hermits in my tank. I started noticing my snails dying off slowly over time. I took an inventory and found tht I only have 2 turbos left! That's it! I think my hermits killed them all. It's like a snail shell graveyard in the back of the tank. A-holes! I think that is definitely having an effect on the nutrients in the tank. I picked up 3 trocus snails yesterday from vivid and I'm going to place an order with reef cleaners for their 25G pack they have. Btw, the trocus snails are pretty cool. They flip themselves over. Now I just have to get rid of the serial killers. Any ideas?

Ideas on how to get them out or what to do with them once you get them? :lol:

They should be pretty easy to get, no? I could grab mine out right now if I needed to.

I can get them out. I guess I could give them away. I'd hate to have freeze them. They've been around for a while. Does anyone local want them?

Archived