Pod Your Reef

100g Macro Setup

NinjaBum

New hangout spot-

P1020191.jpg

P1020192.jpg

P1020194.jpg

He's gotta watch himself because when he swims in the open my firefish attacks him for some reason. Maybe cause he's so small. Firefish has taken over the open section of water. Guess he's forgotten how it feels to be the little guy.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
drunkenmonk21

Might be a type of dictoya, seen alot of them that glare reds and blues when you look at them from different angles.

Love the two island effect you got going on :D Growing in very nicely and im jealous of the 100g tank omgomgomg

Its going to be a jungle in there in a couple months I cant wait to see it!!

Haha, it's a jungle of hair algae in there right now. I didn't get any of that violet flames algae. They sent me 4 of this dragon's breath. Oh well = /.

Trying to keep my Ochtodes from being choked out by hair. I tossed a bunch on a powerhead since at least the powerhead will keep the hair from free floating and the Ochtodes will get light. Put some hermits in there yesterday. Maybe they will make a difference.

100g tall so it's the same as your tank, just a little taller and wider. Next time I'm going to get a 125 in the normal long dimension since it's a pain to reach the bottom of it.

Lol yeah, I think it's a type of Gracillaria to be honest. Maybe G. Hayi? I was sorta disappointed =/ Would have been happy had it been dragon's breath or dragon's tongue. I have a ton of Gracillaria as it is.

Help me choose my next fish-

Tailspot Blennie

Pair of clowns

Bangai Cardinal

Yellow Longnose Butterfly

I picked up some more macros today.

Eucheuma Spinosum-

P1020216.jpg

In the bottom left you can see the Sciania Complanata I got as well, but it's not looking so great. Usually when a red alga turns yellow like that it's done for (with the exception of the above.) Hope it comes back but it's looking rough.

P1020221.jpg

Here's a closer shot of it-

P1020218.jpg

Sad face = (

Thanks. Yeah, it's getting pretty large. I fragged several pieces off of it to put elsewhere and they are all growing pretty quickly. Stupid hair just loves growing on it so when I remove it it's a long stem with very few grapes since it loses them when the hair is long. Grows them back though and it spread some spores around the tank so I have small colonies popping up everywhere.

I see Gulf Coast Ecosystems got you fixed up. :) Russ put together a small package for me Tuesday, so it should be here today.

Very nice Eucheuma! What do you have it attached to?

Too bad on the Sciania, but it may bounce back.

I had a suction cup mount for a powerhead just lying around so I rubber banded it to the mount.

I guess in a week or so we shall see about the sciania. It's funny, the Eucheuma had a little shade of red in it when I got it. Under my lights it's all bright yellow now.

I had a suction cup mount for a powerhead just lying around so I rubber banded it to the mount.

I guess in a week or so we shall see about the sciania. It's funny, the Eucheuma had a little shade of red in it when I got it. Under my lights it's all bright yellow now.

My take on Sciania is it likes to be shaded with moderate current. Maybe try tucking it under the Eucheuma to see how it responds?

Yeah, mine always did pretty well in low light. Not sure where I can put it in this tank where it won't get hit pretty good by the light. Eaucheuma is pretty high up.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey fellas. It's still up. I've just been letting it grow wild and any nuisance algae take its course since my last update. No water changes, just tap water top-offs and adding large amounts of PO4 and nitrate. I could take a pic, but I have fine hair algae all across all sides of the tank. I'd get rid of it, but one day I was looking at it, and I saw it swarming with pods, some larger inverts, and all sorts of stuff I've never seen before so I just let it go. The same with the back. Gave my caulerpa something to anchor to so it's growing all up the back of the tank now.

The right side of the tank has a very thick forest of botryocladia. I'm guessing it likes it over there cause it's next to the window and sunlight nails it every day.

I havent fed my fish since my last update either and they are all happy as can be. Rainfords goby just eats algae and the firefish and mandarin eat pods. That's another reason I haven't gotten rid of the hair, is the mandarin doesn't usually feed in the front, so that is the pods sort of base of operations to repopulate the rest of the tank. At some point my red grape must have released spores cause I now have colonies growing all over the place. Same thing with halimeda. It's spreading across the bottom of my tank pretty nicely.

Archived