Coral Vue Hydros

GR's 12g Long Macro Reef

grmoore

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big yellow Eucheuma? - did that grow from the small piece you showed on page 2? Where did you buy it? I can't seem to find it on La Reef and the GCE sites.

Super nice nano! Keep up the nice work.

msjboy

The big yellow Eucheuma? - did that grow from the small piece you showed on page 2? Where did you buy it? I can't seem to find it on La Reef and the GCE sites.

Super nice nano! Keep up the nice work.

msjboy

Thanks for the kind words! The yellow Eucheuma in the image is actually 2 plants placed near each other - one shading the other testing lighting requirements. Both plants eventually broke apart (as is their normal method of propagation) and turned orange-red in color. I since changed my lighting to Giessman Midday Sun and Aquablue+ for a better spectrum. Some of my Eucheuma has now begun to get that yellow back, but I'm not sure if it is because of the lighting or dosing yet.

You can get it from Russ at GCE if he has it available. The orange-red variety is the same plant, but there is something (my thought is UV exposure) that triggers the yellow coloration.

• 4 weeks later...
drunkenmonk21

Hey G,

Wanted to ask about a couple Macros you got listed. And see how well they are doing and growth.

Flamingo Feather Algae

Pom Pom Algae - Galaxaura - I had some of this before but it just seemed to melt away.

Acetabularia

Hey G,

Wanted to ask about a couple Macros you got listed. And see how well they are doing and growth.

Flamingo Feather Algae

Pom Pom Algae - Galaxaura - I had some of this before but it just seemed to melt away.

Acetabularia

I have acetabularia growing on one of my base rocks in my reef tank where I put a small frag of it that just melted away. Now they really seem to be taking off.

altolamprologus
Hey G,

Flamingo Feather Algae

Acetabularia

I'm also curious about the flamingo feather algae. I just ordered some that should be arriving this week. Got any tips on care?

Hey G,

Flamingo Feather Algae

Acetabularia

I have a couple of variations of the Flamingo - one being a pretty sturdy red that only grows a few inches tall but spreads out to be bushy, and one that is a more delicate pink that grows quite tall with a long stipe. The red seems to do best in subdued light while the pink really grows well near the water surface. I've had the pink sporulate a few times and now have dozens of new plants all over the rocks with their own holdfasts. I'm pretty confident the Lugols I dose helps them maintain their color.

The Pom Pom is a calcareous algae that stays a light purple if its shaded, and turns nearly white if its in direct lighting. If it is growing, it is growing so slow that I can't tell.

The Acetabularia I got from GCE was just a few sprouts and have yet to actually grow. I still have the 4 - 5 plants I started with, but they never grew the caps. I'll probably try it again at some point, but I'll need a bigger tank first. :D

I have a couple of variations of the Flamingo - one being a pretty sturdy red that only grows a few inches tall but spreads out to be bushy, and one that is a more delicate pink that grows quite tall with a long stipe. The red seems to do best in subdued light while the pink really grows well near the water surface. I've had the pink sporulate a few times and now have dozens of new plants all over the rocks with their own holdfasts. I'm pretty confident the Lugols I dose helps them maintain their color.

The Pom Pom is a calcareous algae that stays a light purple if its shaded, and turns nearly white if its in direct lighting. If it is growing, it is growing so slow that I can't tell.

The Acetabularia I got from GCE was just a few sprouts and have yet to actually grow. I still have the 4 - 5 plants I started with, but they never grew the caps. I'll probably try it again at some point, but I'll need a bigger tank first. :D

Hey, let me know if you ever want to do some trading for flamingo algae. Me and monk have been trying to get some for a while.

Hey, let me know if you ever want to do some trading for flamingo algae. Me and monk have been trying to get some for a while.

Sure, we can do that. Now that the weather has finally broken here (60s - 70s during the day) I'm not too worried about survival rates. I had to clear out the weir yesterday because the flamingo has been growing so fast it was plugging up the overflow slots. Let me know when you and Josh want to do this.

Whenever you want is cool with me. Anything you don't have that you see in my tank I can trade. I see you don't have codium lucassi, ochtodes, or turbinaria if you have any interest in those

-Tim

Guys, I find red titan to be pretty invasive/agressive. Is this the case in your tanks also? In mine, one little leaf stuck on a rock will take over the rock.

Hi Kat. I wouldn't call it invasive, but it is a fast grower. All of my Titan have a single holdfast, unlike Dictyota which will grow anywhere it can attach.

Whenever you want is cool with me. Anything you don't have that you see in my tank I can trade. I see you don't have codium lucassi, ochtodes, or turbinaria if you have any interest in those

-Tim

I'd be interested in any of those three - especially the Ochtodes and Turbinaria for my contest tank. I'm teaching 8 classes next week, so I'm going to be swamped. Plan on the following week then?

drunkenmonk21
Hi Kat. I wouldn't call it invasive, but it is a fast grower. All of my Titan have a single holdfast, unlike Dictyota which will grow anywhere it can attach.

Yours grows on a single holdfast? Mine has no holdfast, and attaches anywhere the plant touches. Mine grows at a decent rate but has alot of competition so I think that keeps it at bay.

Im not sure I have anything to trade to you that you dont have lol. Either way I would be will to pay for some Flamingo and a couple others when you trim :D

Yours grows on a single holdfast? Mine has no holdfast, and attaches anywhere the plant touches. Mine grows at a decent rate but has alot of competition so I think that keeps it at bay.

Im not sure I have anything to trade to you that you dont have lol. Either way I would be will to pay for some Flamingo and a couple others when you trim :D

Mine attaches via multiple holdfasts as well.

Whenever is easiest for you, just let me know and we can work something out. I will try to get you some of both of the ochtodes and turbinaria or maybe josh can send you ochtodes and I can send turbinaria. Whatever you guys wanna do is cool with me

Very strange.. I lifted my Titan to check and it indeed has a singe holdfast, and the plant is massive.

We can figure out the swap next week. I won't have any time to get them ready until then. I'll need to go to the LFS and get some bags as well.

Very strange.. I lifted my Titan to check and it indeed has a singe holdfast, and the plant is massive.

Could it be different species? I have the single holdfast kind also, it came as HH on my rock. The invasive kind I am talking about attaches to anything and forms a mound from which it then takes off.

Here is my single holdfast kind:

IMG_20120402_183855.jpg

And a small piece of the invasive kind:

IMG_20120402_185854.jpg

Also I am noticing a morph of some sort in the red titan, or maybe it is a different macro altogether.

Here.

altolamprologus

I believe the invasive kind is a different species. I have both and they look incredibly similar, but titan grows from a single holdfast and is bushy while the invasive one attaches from anywhere, seems to multiply with spores, and stays fairly close to the substrate.

drunkenmonk21
Could it be different species? I have the single holdfast kind also, it came as HH on my rock. The invasive kind I am talking about attaches to anything and forms a mound from which it then takes off.

Here is my single holdfast kind:

IMG_20120402_183855.jpg

And a small piece of the invasive kind:

IMG_20120402_185854.jpg

Also I am noticing a morph of some sort in the red titan, or maybe it is a different macro altogether.

Here.

Kat, That single holdfast macro you have pictured looks to me, to be Gracilaria mammillaris. Do an image search on that and compare, let me know :D

Actually it may be Gracilaria curtissae check pics on that one too. lol

drunkenmonk21

We can figure out the swap next week. I won't have any time to get them ready until then. I'll need to go to the LFS and get some bags as well.

Can you get a close up pic of the plant for me, I would like to see it?

Kat, That single holdfast macro you have pictured looks to me, to be Gracilaria mammillaris. Do an image search on that and compare, let me know :D

Actually it may be Gracilaria curtissae check pics on that one too. lol

Here is a pic of what I have as (red titan)

IMG_1045.jpg

It looks like I have all 3 of these species. :huh:

I posted in another thread, can I send you 3 (keydiver, grmoore, drunken monk) a sample of this stuff for a proper ID?

drunkenmonk21

Ive been looking around on the web trying to find how Titanophora attatches. The pic I have that I thought was titanophora matches the pic on reefcleaners, but I cant be 100% since there isnt much info on the web about it.

Archived