Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

GR's 12g Long Macro Reef

grmoore

I received the algae from LAReefs today and below are a couple of photos of it. I mounted it to a small piece of rubble so I can easily move it around in the tank to find a spot its most happy with. It is definately iridescent - whites, greens, blues and yellows depending on the viewing angle.

2011-12-30%2014-39-44.201.jpg

2011-12-30%2014-41-05.254.jpg

They were also kind enough to toss in some miscellaneous algae frags at no charge. I mounted these to a small rock and will put them in a pico tank next month.

2011-12-30%2014-41-45.952.jpg

I'll work on getting an ID for the iridescent algae.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a nice tank and nice addition you've added, if I didn't know better I thought it would have been a bigger tank just from the stocking.

I'm attempting a macro tank myself but don't have nearly the diverse macro algae as you do.

What kind of lighting do you use and do you dose the tank with anything? Is there any macros you have trouble keeping? What is your lighting schedule?

Thanks,

Harvey

Hi Harvey. I use T5HO lighting - 78 watts total - with one Giesemann Midday Sun tube and one Giesemann AquaBlue+ tube. I run the lights from 8:30AM until 7:30PM. The Midday Sun tube is very bright.

The toughest macro for me to keep has been the yellow Eucheuma. I believe that it simply requires more UV light than I can provide to keep it yellow. It's most certainly not flow, nutrient or light intensity causing the issue. My orange Eucheuma has had no issue, but I've tried two samples of yellow without any luck.

Best of luck with your macro tank! :)

drunkenmonk21

Whats up Grmoore, Looking fantastic!!! I bet those fish feel like their in a jungle lol. Looking pretty full.

Im going to have to get me some of that Eucheuma pretty soon.

Keep up the great work!!

Monk

Hi Monk. Yeah, the jungle is getting pretty thick. I did some pruning last week and moved some plants around to open it up a tad, but the growth has been explosive and it's mostly grown back in again already. I changed bulbs on Christmas day (Midday and AquaBlue+) and most of the plants seem to be loving it. I had to shade a couple of them as they started to bleach out, but they recovered quickly. Come spring I think I'll have to start trimming and giving some away.

altolamprologus

Gorgeous tank there sir! Have you ever had any issues with hair algae growing on top of your macros? I can't for the life of me get it to stop growing on my macros.

Gorgeous tank there sir! Have you ever had any issues with hair algae growing on top of your macros? I can't for the life of me get it to stop growing on my macros.

Thanks for the kind words! Actually, I've not had hair algae issues in either of my tanks - this curent one or the one previous to this. I've always kept my phosphates undetectible and magnesium levels in the 1300 - 1400 range. Quality lamps are probably a factor as well. I run a skimmer now 24/7, but previously I only ran it at night.

I don't really do anything special to prevent hair algae - just good flow, good lighting (11 hours on), skimming and my usual dosing is about it. I've only done two 20% (2 gallon) water changes on this tank in 6 months, and unless I have to treat for cyano again, I doubt I will do another until summer time.

I highly doubt the micro algaes would be able to compete with all the macros in my tank, especially since they are established.

altolamprologus
Thanks for the kind words! Actually, I've not had hair algae issues in either of my tanks - this curent one or the one previous to this. I've always kept my phosphates undetectible and magnesium levels in the 1300 - 1400 range. Quality lamps are probably a factor as well. I run a skimmer now 24/7, but previously I only ran it at night.

I don't really do anything special to prevent hair algae - just good flow, good lighting (11 hours on), skimming and my usual dosing is about it. I've only done two 20% (2 gallon) water changes on this tank in 6 months, and unless I have to treat for cyano again, I doubt I will do another until summer time.

I highly doubt the micro algaes would be able to compete with all the macros in my tank, especially since they are established.

I guess I just drew the short straw with this tank :lol:

May I ask what you dose?

I guess I just drew the short straw with this tank :lol:

May I ask what you dose?

Are you keeping chaetomorpha as well? That will help absorb the extra nutrients that GHA requires to thrive. I noticed from your tank thread you don't have a ton of macro algaes, and you are probably feeding heavily to keep the sponge. Are you skimming?

Take a look in my first post for my dosing schedule.

altolamprologus
Are you keeping chaetomorpha as well? That will help absorb the extra nutrients that GHA requires to thrive. I noticed from your tank thread you don't have a ton of macro algaes, and you are probably feeding heavily to keep the sponge. Are you skimming?

Take a look in my first post for my dosing schedule.

There's a couple strands of chaeto in there, but I don't purposely have it there. I feed fairly heavily and don't skim, but I do regular water changes. My nitrates stay around 2-3 ppm and phosphates around 0.03ppm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Several months ago, my Pom Pom Crab lost its Bunodeopsis anemones and spent most of its time hidden in the rockwork. The past few days its been out and about with a couple new friends. It's now carrying a pair of Medusa worms, and they seem to be more than happy.

2012-01-20%2017-03-59.777.jpg

2012-01-20%2017-04-22.112.jpg

2012-01-20%2017-05-14.750.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I got some yellow tang macro this past weekend from my friend KG and both his bunch and mine turned rust the next day, not the dark rust like eucheuma but close. Why why why

While I've not had an opportunity to test it, I believe that it is a lack of UV or near-UV lighting. I had found numerous sources stating that yellow algaes required near-UV wavelengths to remain yellow. I can't believe that it is a lack of light intensity as many claim since I'm near 7W/gallon on a 12inch deep tank. My lights are only 4.5" above the waterline as well, and my Eucheuma bleaches quickly in that intensity - I have to keep it to the side and slightly shaded to survive. I wonder if MH lighting has a stronger UV output.

Have you thought about dwarf seahorses? They would look pretty nice with that jungle you have going on.

Certainly an interesting idea, but I keep the flow pretty high for the macros. Someday I'd like to try seahorses though.

• 2 weeks later...
drunkenmonk21

How are things going, How is the pom pom doing. I lost my C. barbata when I switched tanks, how is yours doing? Pics?

How is the iridescent macro? I just got a piece from lareef as well. How fast is it growing for you? It is a gorgeous macro, do you know the scientific name?

How are things going, How is the pom pom doing. I lost my C. barbata when I switched tanks, how is yours doing? Pics?

Hi Josh. The tank is coming along nicely. It's a bit overgrown at the moment, and I'm looking at getting another tank - either a 40b or a Deep Blue 80 gallon frag. I really like the dimensions of the Deep Blue, but I like the price of the 40b much better. :lol:

The Pom Pom crab is out and about much more often now. He is still carrying around a couple of Medusa worms - they've grown pretty large, so they don't seem to mind much.

My barbata is growing exceptionally well. I keep dosing calcium and iron and all of the plants have been responding well to it - tons of new growth.

I'll get new pictures up soon. I'm in a serious need of a pruning. :)

How is the iridescent macro? I just got a piece from lareef as well. How fast is it growing for you? It is a gorgeous macro, do you know the scientific name?

Mine has about quadrupled in size since getting it, and it's begun growing onto an adjacent rock as well. I keep it slightly shaded. As for the scientific name, I'm really not sure. There was only one species from the Fiji area noted in algaebase, but there were no images to compare it to. It looks very much like Fauchea laciniata, but that is usually from the California coast area, and I was told specifically this came from the Fiji area.

As for growth, here are a couple of comparison images.. the first is when i first got it, and the second is as of today. You can click on the images for the HD version.

2011-12-30%2014-41-05.254.jpg

2012-03-01%2010-51-38.426.jpg

very sweet! I hope mine grows, as I have it on a tiny plug right now. I would have liked a bit of a larger piece, but it'll have to do.

Archived