May 15, 2013
November 11, 2011
October 12, 2011
September 1, 2011
August 16, 2011
August 4, 2011
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here. I'm building a macro reef in a Mr Aqua 12 gallon long tank and would like to bring you all along for the ride! This thread is going to be pretty picture intensive, so I hope you all like images. The first batch of posts are a time lapse of the first 6 - 8 weeks of the tank.
I look forward to your comments - both good and bad!
- Mr Aqua 12g Long with custom glass top
- Aqua Euro 1/13 HP Chiller (not in use)
- MJ404 Pump driving the Chiller (closed loop)
- Finnex 100W Titanium Heater
- Dual Ecotech MP10es in various modes throughout the day controlled by Apex WXM
- Tunze Osmolator ATO
- Neptune Apex Controller
- PinPoint Salinity Meter
- 36" Coralife Aqualight Dual T5 HO 'Frankenlight' Fixture with following additions:
- Two 24" Current TrueLumen 453nm Actinic LED Fixtures
- 24" Current TrueLumen 12K LED Fixture (one hour each day at noon)
- Apex LSM with 5 Moonlight LEDs
- Aquaclear 110 HOB
- Tunze 9002 Skimmer with DIY Intake Muffler
- Innovative Marine MiniMax Reactor running Warner Marine ekoBAK BioPellets
- Innovative Marine MiniMax Reactor running Seachem SeaGel
The bulk of the clean up crew comes from Reef Cleaners. A few came as hitchhikers via live rock and algae.
- Dwarf Ceriths
- Florida Ceriths
- Large Nerites
- Small to Medium Nerites
- Several cool but unidentified snail hitchhikers
- Copepods (bajillions of them)
All livestock comes from Drs. Foster & Smith.
- 3 - Blue/Green Reef Chromis (Chromis viridis)
- 1 - Pom Pom Crab (Lybia edmondsoni)
- 1 - Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)
The bulk of my corals come from Drs. Foster & Smith. A few come as hitchhikers via live rock.
- Green Toadstool (Fiji)
- White Pom Pom Xenia
- Florida Ricordea
- Kenya Tree (hitchhiker)
- Various Actinodiscus Mushrooms (hitchhikers)
- Green Rhodactis (hitchhikers)
The bulk of my Algae comes from LAReefs and Gulf Coast Ecosystems. A few come from friends here at Nano Reef.
- Gelidium sesquipedale (Red Kelp)
- Bornetella oligospora (Sear Fern)
- Chlorodesmis sp. (Maiden's Hair)
- Ulva sp.
- Botryocladia botryoides (Red Grape)
- Fauchea sp. (Fiji - irridescent)
- Portieria hornemanni
- Halimeda opuntia
- Acanthophora spicifera
- Codium lucasii
- Galaxaura sp. (small clipping)
- Gibessi sp. (Flamingo Feather)
- Lobophora variegata (probably)
- Gracilaria hayi
- Padina sp.
- Rhodopeltis sp. (Red Branching)
- Halymenia sp. (Dragon's Breath)
- Flame Algae or Spotted Rose (unidentified)
- Several Sargassum sp.
- Several Gracilaria sp.
- A ton of other unidentified Macro Algaes encrusting an MP10
I have been dosing every other day to avoid any wide variance in levels. I have a couple of dosing pumps from BRS that I got for Calc/Alk dosing but have not seen a need to hook them up yet.
- Brightwell Lugol's Iodine - One drop every other day
- Kent Garlic XTreme - 1 drop when I feel adventurous (this stuff really STINKS!)
- Kent Strontium & Molybdenum - 2 drops every other day
- Brightwell Replenish Trace & Minor Elements - 5 drops every other day
- Kent Zoe - 5 drops every other day
- Kent Iron and Manganese - 10 drops every other day
- Kent Tech-M Magnesium - 20 drops every other day to maintain 1340 mg/L
- Brightwell Reef Code B - 30 drops every other day to maintain 9 dKH
- Brightwell Reef Code A - 30 drops every week to maintain 500 ppm
- Gulf Coast Ecosystems KNO3 or CaNO3 - as needed to try to maintain 2 - 5 ppm Nitrates
I measure all of my parameters once a week (Temperature, Specific Gravity and pH are monitored constantly) using Salifert, API and Nutrafin test kits.
- Temperature: 76.5 F (Apex)
- Specific Gravity: 1.026 (PinPoint)
- pH: (night) 8.05 - (day) 8.55 (Apex) (calibrated at 76.5 degrees)
- Ammonia: 0 ppm (API)
- Nitrites: 0 ppm (API
- Nitrates: 0 ppm (API)
- Calcium: 500 ppm (Salifert)
- Alkalinty: 9 dKH (Salifert)
- Magnesium: 1340 mg/L (Salifert)
- Phosphates: 0 mg/L (API)
- Iron (free) 0 mg/L (chelated) .1 mg/L (Nutrafin)
Edited by grmoore, 03 June 2013 - 01:48 PM.