Cultivated Reef

Fiji Mud, reef muck, anyone ever use it in a biocube sump?

scuba-raru

Anyone out there ever put Fiji Mud or similar reef muck in the bottom of a biocube refugium? I'm planning on using a sponge, purigen & chemi-pure for mechanical filtration and Chaeto for biological, but I wonder if using mud might work...

I've heard arguments against using live sand to the rear fuge b/c of possible lack of flow & nitrogen build up. But reef muck has more critters than LS usually and so may help break down the nitrogen better and may help aerate the tank a bit....not sure if its a significant benefit to the main tank though...any ideas?

Keep the rear chambers of your biocube free of mud or anything of the sort. The area is too small to have any benefitial effects on the breakdown of nutrients, and will just collect detritus.

If you're really interested in the concept of having a fuge with figi mud, try a hang-on-back (HOB) fuge, as this will have more space for mud/sand, macro algea, and pod production.

• 6 months later...
Keep the rear chambers of your biocube free of mud or anything of the sort. The area is too small to have any benefitial effects on the breakdown of nutrients, and will just collect detritus.

If you're really interested in the concept of having a fuge with figi mud, try a hang-on-back (HOB) fuge, as this will have more space for mud/sand, macro algea, and pod production.

Yes. I second that thought. You could place chaeto back there, if you had a way to give light to it. When I had my biocube I ran filter floss, Purigen, Chemipure Elite, and had a spot for the Chaeto with an underwater light. I used a Stevie T media basket, but you coud always DIY one.

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't spend a dime on reef mud if it was the only product on the shelf. It's amazing what people will try to sell you. :rolleyes:

Archived