Top Shelf Aquatics

Monks 20g Sad Little Macro Tank

drunkenmonk21

drunkenmonk21

Thanks, Yes that is a single Codium plant, actually It was twice the size, I just cut it in half and put the other part in my 10g.

I think the new scape looks so much better then the old one. Now to let all the macros grow back in.

Im planning on ripping out all the Grape Caulerpa, I dont want a repeat of the disaster it caused last time.

:scarry:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
drunkenmonk21

Quick update, Im thinking the 6 line is about to get evicted! Its picking on the poor Blue damsel - ramming him head on and ripping him open every so often. Im think im going to go with some clown gobys, green banded gobys, couple others.

Also I was wondering if I was to get a blenny what would be a good one for a macro tank. I like the lawnmower blenny but im afraid to wake up with no macros lol.

The Orange Spot Goby is doing great, eating, and watching out for his little buddy. I have seen the Candy Striped Pistol shrimp more in the last week then I have the whole time I have had the little sob.

Ive also ordered some Macros from gulf coast to check out their plants a bit.

pics to come when they arrive.

drunkenmonk21

Got an order in from GCE today. Some I dont know what they are so im going to number them and maybe someone can ID them for me.

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

Sargassum

IMG_0198.jpg

C. Barbata

IMG_0203.jpg

GSP I got from a local reefer yesterday

IMG_0189.jpg

I traded off the 6 line and got a scooter blenny, She is happily eating pods all over the tank atm. Pics to come when I can photo the little fishy.

drunkenmonk21

New pics, I got a Lemon Peel angel omgomgomg Im hoping for the best we shall see.

Scooter blenny

IMG_0210.jpg

Lemon Peel 3 days in and so far so good xfingers

IMG_0186.jpg

Full tank

IMG_0217.jpg

Left side

IMG_0218.jpg

Right side - Can you find the Orange spot goby here :P

IMG_0219.jpg

Orange spot Goby and his Pistol buddy

IMG_0183.jpg

drunkenmonk21

Here is a pic of my Scooter Blenny perched up next to a big a$$ Ric.

IMG_0242.jpg

Some new corals That I got in a trade for some macros

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Got a couple others I will post pics of later.

drunkenmonk21

Well Im getting closer to switching to my 40b. the stand has been built for 3 months lol. I just have yet to finish the hood im building for it, and put the new leds in the hood. I went to Petco today to buy a 29g for the display sump. I seen the other day they had the 1$ per gallon sale going on and when I got there it had just ended the day before. So im going to have to either pay full price or find one from someone selling it local.

I ordered 50lbs of dry rock should be here next week. The plan is to have some hardier display macro in the 40b along with mostly coral. And put the more delicate of plants in the 29 sump where the Lemon Peel cant eat it or tear it up lol.

The tank is looking great man! I have #4 growing out too, dunno what it is though. it just started from a little piece in my reef tank and has been growing strong ever since. It has a really nice dome shape when it grows out. Good luck w/ the move!

drunkenmonk21

Well I acclimated 4 Sailfin Molly's to saltwater omgomgomg I am hoping they will eat some excess algae growing in the tank. 2 males and 2 females. One of the females seemed to be having a hard time with the transfer while the other 3 where doing great.

When the lights went out on the tank all 4 started darting around the tank lol. Not sure if they were startled or just happy the bright lights were gone as im sure they arent use to fast water movement and bright lights being tank bred im sure.

Pic of them acclimating

IMG_0831.jpg

One of the females

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

The rest of the pics I took came out with way to much motion blur. Have to take another 20 to post a couple more shots lol.

drunkenmonk21
You said one of your female mollys wasn't looking to great?

How is it acting?

A female and male died last night. The other pair are doing Great and have been eating algae off the back glass all day long today!

drunkenmonk21

She started breating heavy and getting stuck on the filter intake. I new she was a goner. dont think there was anything I could do.

Just fed the tank the 2 remaining ate like pigs taking food before the damsel could get it lol

drunkenmonk21

I started out with Red grape, codium, Red Titan,blue ochtodes, gracilaria and Caulerpa. I would stay away from the fast growing caulerpa, ive taken all forms of Caulerpa out of my tank. It grows to fast and sucks up alot of nutrients and when there is no more for it to take in it goes sexual and gives your tank a mini cycle at the least. I spent a whole day picking every stem and root I could find of the crap out so I wouldnt have to go through that again.

You will also need to make sure there are nutrients available which means you will prob have to dose or find other solutions. Ive recently added bioballs to my filter, Im hoping to not have to dose any kno3 anymore. I also feed heavily, and have not done a water change in about 4 months lol.

Josh, tanks looking sweet man....one of these days Im' going to have to drive down and hit you up for some macro's... my display fuge light is almost done ;)

drunkenmonk21
Josh, tanks looking sweet man....one of these days Im' going to have to drive down and hit you up for some macro's... my display fuge light is almost done ;)

I just trimmed the tank about a week ago, needs some time to grow out but when it does Ill hook ya up.

Im transferring Everything over to the 40b on Tuesday. I finally built the hood, just have to paint it and im ready to go.

I now have 6 Mollys in the tank, 5 black 1 gold. 1 male 5 females,I really didnt think they would all survive which is why I acclimated so many. Im not sure what to do lol. Going to have to find a home for a couple of them. I cant really return them to the LFS and say put them in the salt water can I lol. Good thing is they really like to eat nuisance algae. I got my days mixed up and added a little extra kno3 to the tank and got a little bloom but they are tearing it up pretty good.

Here are a few pics from my phone, (my damn camera batteries went dead and im lazy atm)

Orange Molly haning out in the Goby/pistol hole(I would imagine not a good Idea but got away with her life)

IMG_0881.jpg

lemon Peel

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

Blue Devil

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

Orange Spot Goby

IMG_0855.jpg

Purple/blue shroom leaving a baby behind

IMG_0909.jpg

New Purple Goniopora Coral starting to extend

IMG_0868.jpg

Better pics to come when I get batteries lol.

I found your thread! yay!

I just want to let everyone know what a jerk you are for sending me SO MUCH FREE MACRO!

People pay a crap load of money for these beautiful blue ochtodes and red grape and dictoya and red titan and you just sent it to me FREE? :o

You should be locked up somewhere!

I heart you Josh! :)

mwuahhh!

Thank you so much, you are amazing.

Oh and I think the green one was codium.

Heeeeyyyy looking good my man! I might try something similar with mollies, I think it'd be pretty cool. and cheap. The tank is looking great, keep up the good work

drunkenmonk21
I found your thread! yay!

I just want to let everyone know what a jerk you are for sending me SO MUCH FREE MACRO!

People pay a crap load of money for these beautiful blue ochtodes and red grape and dictoya and red titan and you just sent it to me FREE? :o

You should be locked up somewhere!

I heart you Josh! :)

mwuahhh!

Thank you so much, you are amazing.

Oh and I think the green one was codium.

Lol Well we did do a trade :P But your welcome glad I could help :D I hope they do well for you!!

Heeeeyyyy looking good my man! I might try something similar with mollies, I think it'd be pretty cool. and cheap. The tank is looking great, keep up the good work

The mollys are great fish eat algae almost non stop and are very active swimmers, My blue damsel is a dirty biotch and killed the 24k molly. Im gonna net that sob and give her away lol. Any takers on a murdering Blue devil? She also loves to kick sand up everywhere all the time too! Nothing like sand floating around your tank every 20 mins /sigh

drunkenmonk21

So I switched everything to the 40b Tuesday. The 55 was getting old had scratches cracked plastic and was ready to retire lol.

Everything went pretty smooth, except I could not find the Candy pistol shrimp. Everything was out of the tank and into the new. I was hoping he was in a rock somewhere and got transfured in along with it. Well I picked up a 5 gallon bucket and was going to rinse it out when I looked down in the bottom and he was flapping around lol. Got him in the tank and the gobly found em within minutes for a big heart felt reunion :P

I built a Gu10 LED setup from tinygiants thread found here: Tinygiants Gu10 LED Thread

IMG_0841.jpg

Ok so gonna dump some pics of the new setup O_O

FTS

IMG_1009.jpg

FTS close up

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

Couple pics of the stand before skinned and painted, and the hood.

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

I had quite a bit of extra rock lol omgomgomg Im thinking of doing a shallow Mangrove display tank.

All the extra rock was thrown in my 10g and its full lol.

More pics when I get batteries for the camera O_O

Archived