Innovative Marine Aquariums

Akio's 10 Gallons

Akiowalt

I'm facing a big trouble now. No manner how much I change the water, 30% a week, cut down the feeding, cut down the light, adding phosban and carbon, they just never stop growing in my tank. I'm planning to take out all the rock and scrub it, clean it and run a 100% water change. Is that a good idea?

Green hair algae

20120106_170417.jpg

20120106_170456.jpg

20120106_170519.jpg

Brown algae

20120106_170401.jpg

Cyano :angry:

20120106_170256.jpg

Anyone can help me to ID these zoa?

20120106_170307.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is only a 10g. Prolly 8-9g after displacement. I have 10g also. I change 5g every 5 days or so. Very simple with a small tank. Increase your hermits. Lighting for seven hours. Also is the source of your water RODI? Is it clean to begin with?

DIY Cube Nano Man
I'm facing a big trouble now. No manner how much I change the water, 30% a week, cut down the feeding, cut down the light, adding phosban and carbon, they just never stop growing in my tank. I'm planning to take out all the rock and scrub it, clean it and run a 100% water change. Is that a good idea?

Green hair algae

20120106_170417.jpg

20120106_170456.jpg

20120106_170519.jpg

Brown algae

20120106_170401.jpg

Cyano :angry:

20120106_170256.jpg

Anyone can help me to ID these zoa?

20120106_170307.jpg

Hey.

Those Zoa kinda look like glass anemones (Aiptasia)... 2-3 Peppermints would be all over that!

Jase

It is only a 10g. Prolly 8-9g after displacement. I have 10g also. I change 5g every 5 days or so. Very simple with a small tank. Increase your hermits. Lighting for seven hours. Also is the source of your water RODI? Is it clean to begin with?

I hate hermit and snail because they likely knock down my coral and rock. I'm using distilled water and never change the brand for almost 2 years since they provide good quality water. 99.9% pure water. RO/DI unit is too expensive in my country and we can't afford it.

Hey.

Those Zoa kinda look like glass anemones (Aiptasia)... 2-3 Peppermints would be all over that!

Jase

Aiptasia? :huh: Oh really?

I do not think they are aiptasia. If they are, the other Zoa next to them would be stung and not open like that. I am sure they are not aiptasia.

I do not think they are aiptasia. If they are, the other Zoa next to them would be stung and not open like that. I am sure they are not aiptasia.

Thanks for your "statement" and make me confident. But, I unable to id it because losing its colour from my LFS and I try to safe them. Previously they are under fluorescent light (Oh! Well! Nice LFS). When we switch it to actinic light you can see there is pink in the middle. I'm saving my credit, probably after Chinese New Year, will buy my 4 combo ATI T5HO bulb and see how's the result.

those are not aiptasia they are some kind of zoa or more likely button polyp/paly but im like 100% sure those arent aiptasia.

Thanks. I think is zoanthid, because of individual polyp. 100% sure not aiptasia. :D

• 3 weeks later...
northstar1357

sometimes overfeeding take can build nitrates inside your rocks, i had that happened me to in my previous tank. got so bad to the point i demolished my tank and start anew.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

And where is your tank? I quite like the round corner of this tank, but now its full with scratch on top. I will replace a new tank once I move.

Deleted User 4

And where is your tank? I quite like the round corner of this tank, but now its full with scratch on top. I will replace a new tank once I move.

Lol. Well when I started this hobby, it was in 2008 when I had the same tank as you. I took it down like 8months after.

But it was my 1st saltwater tank when I got into the hobby aah. The glass wasn't easily scratched.

I almost quit this hobby when I was fail to maintain all the coral due to the water quality in my country. I was a student and I couldn't afford to buy all those expensive and branded equipment. My LFS always tried to promote their business and ended up badly. My 3rd tank:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/256754-akios-reef-tank/?hl=%2Bakio%26%2339%3Bs+%2Breef+%2Btank

finally success to keep the dying coral from my previous disaster. The biggest mistake was I used tap water to mix my sea salt.

Deleted User 4

I almost quit this hobby when I was fail to maintain all the coral due to the water quality in my country. I was a student and I couldn't afford to buy all those expensive and branded equipment. My LFS always tried to promote their business and ended up badly. My 3rd tank:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/256754-akios-reef-tank/?hl=%2Bakio%26%2339%3Bs+%2Breef+%2Btank

finally success to keep the dying coral from my previous disaster. The biggest mistake was I used tap water to mix my sea salt.

I see. Wow, never a good idea to use tap water to mix with salt.

Glad your tank has really shown some progress.

What country are you from?

I see. Wow, never a good idea to use tap water to mix with salt.

Glad your tank has really shown some progress.

What country are you from?

I'm from Malaysia. The RO/RI system is extremely expensive and normally our local reefer will buy distilled water from supermarket. Some of the LFS know about water quality but MOST of them are mixed with tap water. The reason is to encourage newbie to buy more equipment and replace with new coral once the coral die.

Deleted User 4

No kidding...

Distilled or ro/di works :)

To save money in the long run, ro/di system is the way to go. I just use RO water for my tank ahaha.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived