SaltCritters.com

A DSLR Journal

SouthFlorida_Tron

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some of my slr pics from this weekend. i run a minolta maxxum 5 with the stock lens and a 70-300. i run polarized filters on them. i had not touched the thing in 5 years, just got the hankerin to tinker...

post-68489-1313039139_thumb.jpg

post-68489-1313039154_thumb.jpg

post-68489-1313039169_thumb.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron

I love that silky long shutter waterfall effect... No waterfalls in Florida!

Have to add this awesome YouTube video

I love that silky long shutter waterfall effect... No waterfalls in Florida!

i used to live in port st john, i feel ya. i now reside in minnesota and love the nature shots i can get all around. i take a 15:1 ratio on the waterfall pics. i run a film camera. if i am lucky two in a roll come out right.

What shutter u use for that

that pic was taken at about 1.5sec. i would have liked to run it out to 8-10sec but the cloud cover did not cooperate.

i have heard tale of people running them out as long as 30 sec. but during the day i would just wind up with a white photo. it all depends on light and having a good light meter. not sure on dslrs how it that works though.

i have heard tale of people running them out as long as 30 sec. but during the day i would just wind up with a white photo. it all depends on light and having a good light meter. not sure on dslrs how it that works though.

People that run shutters for that long use neutral density filters. They are pretty much shaded filters to lower light contact on the sensor.

Tron:

Have you thought about getting a 580ex ii yet? When I saw that picture of your car, all I could think in my head was how good it would look if you had used a faster shutter speed to darken the back and a flash to illuminate your subject. The other lights in the background would make for nice bokeh and really put a nice focus on the car. I was using a friend's setup of 5d MKii and two 580ex ii controlled by radiopoppers before I got my remote flash setup and the things you can do are amazing. Obviously not telling you to go spend $1700+ on a flash setup, but a single 580ex ii will make shots a lot more interesting than your stock camera flash.

Number one thing I love about off-camera strobes is the depth they give. I think on your camera, there is a feature that allows the on-camera flash to trigger remote strobes, so if you ever get the 580 exii it should be the only piece of kit to get you started.

Never would be able to get this without having complete control over where I wanted the lighting. Should have blacked out the window in the back, but maybe some other time.

Partygoers Anonymous.

aameeting.jpg

Used the off camera strobe, triggered by ST-E2 to create shadows that would otherwise not show if I used the flash on-camera. The advanced off-camera strobes also have zoom functions for the light so that you can control the beam of light coming from the flash, allowing you to isolate small areas in your picture, or spread it through the entire frame.

How's the color fringing look wide open on the 24-70? I have the 28-70 and never got to use my friend's 24-70 before he sold it but apparently it's supposed to be better?

• 2 weeks later...

if you want some friendly advice, I'd suggest not using the on-camera flash... pretty much ever. if you refuse to use it, you'll learn to use natural light, which is crucial to being a good photographer.

if you want some friendly advice, I'd suggest not using the on-camera flash... pretty much ever. if you refuse to use it, you'll learn to use natural light, which is crucial to being a good photographer.

Yeah, but that's exactly the type of situation I'm talking about. Any numbskull can properly expose a picture in daylight, you don't really start to grow as a photographer until you challenge yourself. Even in that situation I wouldn't use your flash. Find a lamp or move your subject towards a window (if you can). You can crank the ISO on a T3i up to insane numbers and still get usable pics, plus your 50 f/1.4 should be ideal for indoor photography.

But anyway, I'm just an amateur. I have been doing it long enough to know that it's very easy to fall into a rut by doing the same thing over and over. You really have to constantly challenge yourself to become a better photographer, and the on-board flash can become a crutch.

Well duh! I don't use it much except inside if I need to cuz natural light is weird in my condo....

I either use an off camera flash or none at all. Not only is it a bigger challenge, but on camera flashes turn pictures into really flat images with no depth. I've been using a Nikon F4 (film) this week with a 50mm 1.8 and with ISO400 film, I've had no problem shooting handheld indoors without a flash.

If you aren't shooting RAW then take some time to set the proper white balance on the camera. Ambient indoor lighting is pretty easy to correct in RAW though.

Yeah I agree, flash is whack. You should never need a flash with a 1.4 50mm. I shot a wedding in dim lighting and 90% of my pics came out. I was shooting a t2i with a 50mm1.4. I'm an amateur at best :)

Just give it time. When I look back at the pics I took a year ago, I'm like OMG, they are terrible.

Remember iso and small f stops are your friend. Be careful with the high iso though, they can become grainy.

-dan

• 3 weeks later...
SouthFlorida_Tron

Picked up a 24-105 L B)

also, came back from a trip to Puerto Rico, heres a few shots

6166500213_565c2a5aaf_z.jpg

Clouds 2 by SFL_Tron, on Flickr

6167036272_84ae1275be_z.jpg

Bokeh by SFL_Tron, on Flickr

6167036164_871e5885fe_z.jpg

San Juan Convention Center by SFL_Tron, on Flickr

6167035652_a645ebcb01_z.jpg