inTank Media Baskets

Sweet<3's Clownfish Adventure

sweet<3

altolamprologus

I read in coral magazine a little while ago that the excessive inbreeding in designer clownfish can cause a lot of fertility issues, especially when both fish are designers(as opposed to one designer, one regular). This probably isn't the problem, but it is something to think about.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah thats probably your problem... im also thinking that being only their first couple batches they still are nw to the whole breeding thing, like i said it took my male snowcasso a while to stop eating eggs and he finally did!!!

Ya that's what I'm thinking but its so frustrating I'm totally impatient -_-

You are giving me hope though.

I read in coral magazine a little while ago that the excessive inbreeding in designer clownfish can cause a lot of fertility issues, especially when both fish are designers(as opposed to one designer, one regular). This probably isn't the problem, but it is something to think about.

Oh I certainly wouldn't be surprised. My male does fertilize some eggs and I have hatched one out so I know he has it in him!! It just takes time he is a brand new daddy. Hopefully no fertility issues!

Omg that look like one of my pairs where did you get them from that onyx looks like my female who did you buy them off of

I bought the female from a gentlemen in Orange County, CA. I bought the platinum separately from an LFS.

that is what I meant! :P

I understood! :happy: Some people do refer to that as a hybrid though, even though they are both ocellaris. So I knew what you meant!

whatever you do wait, patients patients..... dont seperate that awsome pair they will have some interesting offspring, then we can do some fry trading,,, ;)

whatever you do wait, patients patients..... dont seperate that awsome pair they will have some interesting offspring, then we can do some fry trading,,, ;)

Oh for sure! I know I am actually glad (well not really but I keep telling myself that :D) that I don't have their eggs to deal with right now because I'm working on building my fry/growout system. So maybe by the time I'm done they will be in the swing of things =)

Quick question: about how long does it take for your fry to hit meta?

Oh for sure! I know I am actually glad (well not really but I keep telling myself that :D) that I don't have their eggs to deal with right now because I'm working on building my fry/growout system. So maybe by the time I'm done they will be in the swing of things =)

Quick question: about how long does it take for your fry to hit meta?

my fry take between 8-14 days to complete the meta ,,, i usually do a water change on day 4 toget ready for meta... you can tell when they are in meta cause they look like little grey aliens, after that usually on the 10-15 day they turn darker and look like actual clownfish... do you have any fry right now??

I do have fry right now. They are on day 18. They look like little clowns but only one has a headstripe. Haha I guess I just really don't know what I'm looking for. I will post pics =)

I do have fry right now. They are on day 18. They look like little clowns but only one has a headstripe. Haha I guess I just really don't know what I'm looking for. I will post pics =)

better B)

altolamprologus
Ok so I have five babies that hatched on 8-26-11.

Of the five only one has a headstripe:

:wub:

IMG_5442.jpg

The rest look like this:

IMG_5441crop.jpg

Awesome!! Any news about the other pairs?

The onyx x platinum are getting ready to lay again so hopefully they leave me some eggs to hatch out. Then the nakeds and darwin x black ice are cleaning but not sure how ready they are to lay...

The onyx x platinum are getting ready to lay again so hopefully they leave me some eggs to hatch out. Then the nakeds and darwin x black ice are cleaning but not sure how ready they are to lay...

What's the temperature in your fry tank(s)?

The fry tank is sitting at 82 right now

I think that's a good temp. Is it normal for percs to develop that much slower than ocellaris? Your broodstock is rediculous - very jealous. Where in the IE are you?

I think that's a good temp. Is it normal for percs to develop that much slower than ocellaris? Your broodstock is rediculous - very jealous. Where in the IE are you?

I don't really know =/ It doesn't sound right to me but I have nothing to base it on since I'm still so new to breeding. And thanks =) I will be so happy when they all start breeding and I get things fine tuned! OH and I live in temecula :D

I don't really know =/ It doesn't sound right to me but I have nothing to base it on since I'm still so new to breeding. And thanks =) I will be so happy when they all start breeding and I get things fine tuned! OH and I live in temecula :D

I work in Temecula!! Small world lol.

Just curious, as I would be interested, down the road are you planning on selling offspring?

Ya definitely =) But its probably going to be six months before anything is big enough to sell!

Sounds good! I've been waiting for someone local (or relatively local) to start breeding designer clowns :happy:

Still collecting Maxi's?

=) Hopefully more of my clowns will start laying and I will have a few options for you to choose from!

I still have maxis but I haven't bought any for a while. I would like to expand but just haven't wanted to put the money into it -_-

Archived