Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sweet<3's Clownfish Adventure

sweet<3

No sorry guys :( the male hasnt gotten the hang of fertilization. But that is to be expected and big momma is persistant! So hopefully soon!

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No sorry guys :( the male hasnt gotten the hang of fertilization. But that is to be expected and big momma is persistant! So hopefully soon!

Ah come on dude lol, hopefully soon! Need something special for my new tank.

altolamprologus

:( Darn boys always killing the children....

smitty_1280
Buahaha first and foremost he thinks about his stomach :( its like an all you can eat buffet...

Have you thought about changing the male out?

No its only his second batch of eggs, so I'm not too worried yet. If he cant get the hang of it after more clutches then its something to consider.

No its only his second batch of eggs, so I'm not too worried yet. If he cant get the hang of it after more clutches then its something to consider.

actually takes a while, i had my male snowcasso do it for 14batches , then he stopped and was the best clown dad of all time with his eggs....so you never know

shaneandjohn

I have been looking at all of the threads. We will be looking for that Special pair of designer clowns for my new set up. I am doing the 3 gallon contest and once it's over I will be upgrading to larger Nano size tank. It will be between 15 - 20 gallons . I have found that I can successfully maintain two tanks that are on the smaller scale. I miss my 120 gallon system soo much, but I just couldnt physically maintain it the way it deserves.

It will be 6 months or so , so I will be watching what you produce..:)

28g nano noob

ahh see ur still at it bet ur a pro by now..lol i rember wen this thread got started so hows the hole thing goin sweet?

How far is he letting the eggs get?

And I agree they do get better with time. I've been pulling my pots on day 4 because my male wouldn't let them get much further then that - but I let this last one go and pulled it last night and got a full hatch tonight. I'd be willing to let them go longer but I'm not messing with something that works. lol

I had that problem as well. They will learn eventually. My Darwin pair are bad layers. My female gets about 1 out of 5 eggs on the pot. She is t putting her ovipositor on the lot for the longest time. She barely gets 50 eggs on. The rest float around and they chase after them and eat em. But this week she did a good job and tonight I pulled a nest worthy of hatching.

Now if I can get my rods pair to leave the eggs alone I'll be happy. They rip the eggs off lite at a time and only leave a few at batch day. Next time I'm gonna try pickles idea and pull the pot a few days early.

Just gotta get my occy / snow and Darwin / black ice pairs to get on a schedule and get bigger nests.

Gonna make a new batch of food and see if I can super stuff them.

Worked good last time for me. Just been lazy and feeding pellets. Going back to my frozen recipe. Then Squirting in freeze dried cyclops in for a treat. They go crazy nuts for a cyclops storm.

What are you feeding yours?

actually takes a while, i had my male snowcasso do it for 14batches , then he stopped and was the best clown dad of all time with his eggs....so you never know

Ya I'm not worried yet. Just waitin and keepin my fingers crossed :D

I have been looking at all of the threads. We will be looking for that Special pair of designer clowns for my new set up. I am doing the 3 gallon contest and once it's over I will be upgrading to larger Nano size tank. It will be between 15 - 20 gallons . I have found that I can successfully maintain two tanks that are on the smaller scale. I miss my 120 gallon system soo much, but I just couldnt physically maintain it the way it deserves.

It will be 6 months or so , so I will be watching what you produce..:)

Ya I hear you. Since I started breeding, my coral tanks all became hard to maintain and I let them go. Getting ready to set up a 90 gallon frag tank so thats exciting :D Good luck in the 3 gallon contest! And definitely keeping checking the threads over the next couple months. I know people are working on some pretty exciting breeding projects so there should be some great choices for you to pick from!

ahh see ur still at it bet ur a pro by now..lol i rember wen this thread got started so hows the hole thing goin sweet?

I don't know about pro but I'm still tryin hahaha. Things are going well, thanks :D No major catastrophes lately so that makes me happy!

How far is he letting the eggs get?

And I agree they do get better with time. I've been pulling my pots on day 4 because my male wouldn't let them get much further then that - but I let this last one go and pulled it last night and got a full hatch tonight. I'd be willing to let them go longer but I'm not messing with something that works. lol

Ya that's great that you have a process that is successful! My male eats them as soon as they hit the pot. The only reason he leaves any is because they wont fit into his belly -_- I don't think he fertilized any of the eggs from the first two clutches. Yesterday they laid again. This morning there are still a few eggs that MIGHT be fertile so maybe he is getting the hang of it??

I had that problem as well. They will learn eventually. My Darwin pair are bad layers. My female gets about 1 out of 5 eggs on the pot. She is t putting her ovipositor on the lot for the longest time. She barely gets 50 eggs on. The rest float around and they chase after them and eat em. But this week she did a good job and tonight I pulled a nest worthy of hatching.

Now if I can get my rods pair to leave the eggs alone I'll be happy. They rip the eggs off lite at a time and only leave a few at batch day. Next time I'm gonna try pickles idea and pull the pot a few days early.

Just gotta get my occy / snow and Darwin / black ice pairs to get on a schedule and get bigger nests.

Gonna make a new batch of food and see if I can super stuff them.

Worked good last time for me. Just been lazy and feeding pellets. Going back to my frozen recipe. Then Squirting in freeze dried cyclops in for a treat. They go crazy nuts for a cyclops storm.

What are you feeding yours?

That's a good point I'm starting to wonder if I need to vary their diet more. Because when my onyx pair lays, only about 1/4 of the eggs are good. The rest turn white over night and are eaten. I'm wondering if it's a diet issue. I have a mix of about 4 different pellet foods and 2 different flake foods that I feed to them 3-4 times a day. Then I feed a mixture of frozen foods 1-2 times a day. I used to make my own fresh seafood blend but they didn't really go for it. So I just started buying a variety of different cube foods (ie mysis, cyclopeeze, brine, etc.). Not really sure what to try next.

altolamprologus
That's a good point I'm starting to wonder if I need to vary their diet more. Because when my onyx pair lays, only about 1/4 of the eggs are good. The rest turn white over night and are eaten. I'm wondering if it's a diet issue. I have a mix of about 4 different pellet foods and 2 different flake foods that I feed to them 3-4 times a day. Then I feed a mixture of frozen foods 1-2 times a day. I used to make my own fresh seafood blend but they didn't really go for it. So I just started buying a variety of different cube foods (ie mysis, cyclopeeze, brine, etc.). Not really sure what to try next.

You should try switching those around. Feed dry food only 1-2 times a day and frozen 3-4 times a day. When I used to breed freshwater fish, I would always get much better clutches and healthier babies when the parents got more frozen food in their diet.

taggin along. i love your adventute!

Thank you! Welcome aboard :D

You should try switching those around. Feed dry food only 1-2 times a day and frozen 3-4 times a day. When I used to breed freshwater fish, I would always get much better clutches and healthier babies when the parents got more frozen food in their diet.

Ya I would like to try but Im a little nervous. Like I said they didnt really take to me fresh seafood recipe. The storebought stuff is mostly shrimp. I know too much shrimp in the diet can affect how the eggs hatch. I suppose i can kick it up and see how it goes!

yay! new avatar pic. hehe ;)

whats your recipe?

high shrimp will add to many fatty acids and will make the eggs hard and trouble for the fry to get out.

i know of a decent place to buy bulk food. its www.jehmco.com

i get 5lbs of mysis and the freeze dried cyclops, and the spirulina powder.

always good to add some greens.

i made a massive batch and use the whole 5lbs of mysis. and my recipe is using all that food.

my recipe is

mysis ( this is whole mysis, so i but in a food processor and pulse it to break it up a little. i dont puree it, just a rough chop. the mysis can be big and the smaller clowns have trouble eating them)

fresh fish (1-2lb filet) i use either yellow fin tuna, or wild caught salmon. dont use farm raised. only wild caught.

mussels

clams

octopus

squid

freeze dried cyclops

spirulina powder ( about 6 - 10 tablespoons)

whole bottle of selcon

kelp

red nori

green nori

seaweed

( i go to my local asian market and find all the seaweed, kelp or other sea greens i can find

i try to keep my greens to about 20% of mixture or less.)

i mix it all up and then i spread them into ice cube trays. i can get about 10 to 12 trays out of one batch and it will last me a few months. i get my trays at a dollar store and i usually damage them trying to get the cubes out and i just buy new ones everytime.

I do pretty close to same exept I pour mine into freezer zip lock bags and stack them flat on a shelf in the freezer - I just open a bag and snap off what I'm going to feed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been away for too long!!

Eric thanks for posting your recipe. That's pretty close to what I was trying before, but I'm gonna try it again. I think I might try adding garlic, since that's the only thing I really haven't tried. It's really funny because the fish would pic out the pieces that they liked (pieces of shrimp and squid) but wouldn't touch the rest. They don't take to veggies, they don't like the fresh fish filets, its really funny. But I think I'm gonna try chopping them into a few different sizes, maybe the size was the issue. And I will add garlic. Wish me luck!!

Onyx x Platinum pair laid nest #3 today...

Male ate them again...didn't even try to fertilize. I am getting a little worried. He isn't even making the motion to try and fertilize. Female lays, and the second the egg hits the pot his mouth is on it.

Hmmm.

FishEyeAquaculture
Onyx x Platinum pair laid nest #3 today...

Male ate them again...didn't even try to fertilize. I am getting a little worried. He isn't even making the motion to try and fertilize. Female lays, and the second the egg hits the pot his mouth is on it.

Hmmm.

Maybe this will make you feel better, my platinum X platinum pair started laying in July '11. Last week I was finally able to pull 6 eggs that weren't eaten and went full term. Sometimes it takes a LONG time to get the hang of it.

Maybe this will make you feel better, my platinum X platinum pair started laying in July '11. Last week I was finally able to pull 6 eggs that weren't eaten and went full term. Sometimes it takes a LONG time to get the hang of it.

No way! That makes me sad! Haha I guess the key is persistence. I'm not giving up on the little guy, just hope it doesn't take him quite that long!! :D

I probably shouldn’t weigh in on this one since my goals and methods are different from most here, but I don’t feed any of my clowns excessively and I only feed them Omega One color enhancing pellets and New Life Spectrum pellets with and without garlic.

My oldest pair live in a reef environment with soft corals and lots of live rock. I’ve had them for about 3 years and they’ve been spawning for a little over 1 year.

My momma is absolutely huge now, about 4 inches long and built like a battleship. She has grown a lot this past year even though I only feed them once a day. She gets about 7-8 pellets and the male probably only gets 3-4 a day. They are the small sized sinking pellets.

I only raise a couple of batches per year. She lays around 1000 eggs, 300 or so hatch and I typically only shoot for raising 150 or so at a time because I don’t have the grow-out capability to do more than that. They spawn every 9-14 days so perhaps that is feeding them to a degree, not sure since I never see fry in the tank. It’s a biocube and the eggs are deposited near the intake so I have no clue if the tank gets to eat the young or if they get caught in the back.

But even in the beginning they only ate 1/3rd of the first few batches, which I could see had a lot of duds in them. After that, all batches were left pretty much intact.

So it makes me wonder if all of this special feeding is really necessary. Perhaps it is if you want to be raising 600-800 fry from each batch, but I doubt that it is contributing to the eating of eggs when the pair is young. I often wonder if there is another reason for this.

Of course I am just going by my own experience, I am no expert. I only have 3 adult pairs and only two of them are laying. They are all fed the same way. The second pair is just a year old and they’ve just begun spawning. Their nests are quite small and they are not on a regular schedule yet.

The dry pellets seem to have a decent nutritional profile and my experience is that adult Occy clownfish grow really fast on them. Mine seem really healthy anyway. I was really surprised by how fast my second pair began spawning. It wasn’t intentional as they were simply raised together in a batch of fry. They are 14 months old and you would think they might be 2-3 years old by their size. Maybe this is just because they are tank raised, not sure. They are in a FOWLR with live rock but really not much else to graze on.

I just wanted to throw this out there as a contribution to the general feeding discussion. Partly because my experience has been different and partly because I think that sometimes we expect things to need to be more difficult. Maybe they don’t? Maybe a watched pot just never boils as fast as we want it to? Maybe people think that upping the feed of the broodstock is what made for better spawns and less eating of the spawns when in reality more time had passed and that's what did the trick?

Or maybe I am just feeling guilty that I don’t work as hard at it LOL. I barely make it to the super market for my own food, I am not shopping for fresh food for my fish too :P

This is just a total guess, as I have no clue what they actually do, but I can't imagine that the big boys like ORA are feeding gourmet meals to their broodstock. I am picturing pellets. Does anybody know what they actually feed and how often?

Thank you for pointing this out! You are very lucky! It is always great to hear about different methods.

The problem I am having is that my main spawning pair (my onyx pair) are still producing a lot of dud eggs. Even after laying for almost a year, more than half of the eggs in each clutch are duds. This may be a problem with the female, may be a problem with the male, but myself and others suspect that it is a nutritional problem. So the gourmet meals were recommended as a possible solution.

As for my platinum male, I dont think anyone is suggesting that these gourmet feedings will help a young fish stop eating their eggs. It was brought up as a discussion of the overall health of the eggs ツ

If you can successfully raise clowns and produce healthy fry without going through the extra work, more power to ya!! And I will definity keep everyone posted and monitor whether better nutrition leads to less duds in the onyx clutches. It may or may not so it will ne interesting to see.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion! We all have different methods and I love hearing about all of them! I too would ne curious to hear what facilities like ORA are feeding their broodstock.

Thank you for pointing this out! You are very lucky! It is always great to hear about different methods.

The problem I am having is that my main spawning pair (my onyx pair) are still producing a lot of dud eggs. Even after laying for almost a year, more than half of the eggs in each clutch are duds. This may be a problem with the female, may be a problem with the male, but myself and others suspect that it is a nutritional problem. So the gourmet meals were recommended as a possible solution.

Ahhh I didnt realise that it had been going on that long. Occys are known to be the easiest to breed. Perhaps they require less nutrition, dunno.

It will be interesting to see what is causing this.

Archived