inTank Media Baskets

Woogie's 20L Juggy Reef

Woogalie

Okay, jugs and dragons, this thread is turning into an issue of Heavy Metal:

heavy-metal-2-thumb.jpg

:lol:

Looks great though! I want to experiment with gluing rock as it seems you get much better shapes out of it.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats an awesome issue there!! Especially the worgs or wolves!!! Metal!!

I was a bit hesitant on whether my left over silicone from the sump would work to hold the dry rock together. I was able to pick up the 5th highest rock and lift the whole piece. The pieces came from a HUGE rock that was layered like slate.

I broke that thing apart with a heavy metal hammer and chisel. The pieces were like shards.

Joel, you should try to make a crazy bonsai looking structure for your reef. I been watchin it, Your YUMA is sooo seksi!!

I'm intrigued by the idea, and I've done *a lot* of sketching. I will have to see what happens with my 55 shallow project.

Thanks for the ric compliment. Definitely want a green and a blue one next!

Rabidgerbil38

This tank is lookin sharp, keep up the good work. I like your scape alot btw

Oh yeah and the amount of cleavage in this thread is epic

ThePhilosopher

Nice jugs - I mean rocks. Nice rocks.

As for SPS, you can definitely go with a montipora cap stationed somewhere at the side of one of the rocks.

I got bigger and better rocks!!

Today I took a trip down to Orange County to visit 5 fish stores. Most of them were pretty good, but the last stop was the best. The guy had a few really colorful liverocks that we swooped on. He also had 3 huge frag tanks ranging from $5 -$100. The baby clams were out of this world and only $25. Lots of variety choose from.

So anyways.

At one of the previous shops we acquired some crazy lookin dry rock that im gonna seed. $3 dolla per lb so we swooped on that too.

We came home and we scaped! Here are the pics of the scape we decided on.

FTS

FTSaug21.jpg

Left FTS

LeftSideFTSaug21.jpg

Middle FTS

MiddleFTSaug21.jpg

Right FTS

RightFTSaug21.jpg

Crazy bling acro rock the girlfriend wanted

CoralRockAug21.jpg

Angled FTS

AngleFTSaug21.jpg

Plenty of open sand bed for water flow

underrockflowaug21.jpg

The display looks very big and wide. Seems to be a lot of placement options for corals. Loving how the light shines through the rocks. Im only using 1 of 3 bulbs on the fixture should look even better when I get 2 more.

Enjoy and YEAH!!!!

I Installed the sump light

Sumplightup.jpg

Sumplighthangin.jpg

Sumplightdown.jpg

32 watt CFL bulb for chaeto.

Anybody off the 60 freeway, commerce or west covina in Southern California have any extra chaeto to spare?

:happydance:

Nice, sounds like a good price. I got mine at $5 for a softball sized portion. Some people want way too much for it. My friend was charged $10 for a clump of macro smaller than a baseball and wouldn't even include any of the red stuff he had.

Now get to work!

Yo Yo Yo Chaeto!

I picked up some chaeto last night. The plan is to get a small pump to create swirling flow for the chaeto.

Maybe like this... :blink:

Will remove the liverock rubble before I tumble the chaeto.

Fuge1.jpg

Fuge2.jpg

Fuge3.jpg

YO YO YO CHAETO!

:happydance:

When's the CUC coming?

In about a week or so. I took one of my dead rocks out to smell it and it stank! I think im due for an algae bloom soon.

Im not really too sure on what kind of snails and crabs to get. Other than the blue legged crabs im used to.

Any ideas?

interesting scape you got here :)

your standard cerith, nassaurius, trochus, astrea snails are what people usually get...

are you new to this hobby?

Rabidgerbil38

Just my 2c but hermits tend to prey on snails and eachother. I've had to remove 4 crabs now because they keep trying to eat my nassarius snails. Shrimp and snails for a CUC seems to be a win in my tank so far

I like hermits more than snails for sure. Do I even need snails? Hermits are like thugs crawlin all over and scavenger the hood. Jackin each other and such.

@Squared,

I had a 24g when I started and then upgraded to a 60g, Its been nearly 2 years since I was in the hobby so im a bit rusty.

I got a few new pics, I messed with the scape a bit so in a bit i'll have the newest FTS

Changed the scape just a pinch!

I did a lil work on the scape. I wanted to have more open water and room for corals.

This is how im gonna keeps it I think. Keeps it on the real nah mean? :bling:

FTS Aug 26

FTSaug26.jpg

AngleFTSaug26.jpg

sandislandaug26.jpg

closeupofrockaug26.jpg

I like hermits more than snails for sure. Do I even need snails? Hermits are like thugs crawlin all over and scavenger the hood. Jackin each other and such.

@Squared,

I had a 24g when I started and then upgraded to a 60g, Its been nearly 2 years since I was in the hobby so im a bit rusty.

I got a few new pics, I messed with the scape a bit so in a bit i'll have the newest FTS

ah.

your new scape looks good, i'd keep it.

ah.

your new scape looks good, i'd keep it.

Thanks! Yeah I think I will keep it like this. The past couple days ive had the gut feeling inside that I could make it better but each couple attempts did more damage... Its finally set so ill keep it!

Wooot

:lol: that's how I feel too, hermits might not do as good of a job, but they are 1,000x cooler IMO. Especially the electric blue ones, they look sick once they are bigger than 1"

Keep the scape, it looks good and I see a lot of really good places for coral to go, it looks easy to work with.

Ok, im definitely keeping the scape. Thanks for confirming guys.

Also, its only been 2 nights with my chaeto but I can already see growth. I don't have my chaeto tumbling yet so its sitting still BUT I can see some strands shooting straight up and they have gotten longer by the day...

I forgot how fast that stuff grows!

I also found a Nudibranch in my fuge after adding the chaeto. I destroyed him.

how is that return pump working for you? how much head is it pumping water? good and powerful, and quiet?

what did the nudibranch look like?

how is that return pump working for you? how much head is it pumping water? good and powerful, and quiet?

what did the nudibranch look like?

• Nudibranch was brown and ugly. Nothing stood out on him whatsoever. Wish I could of gotten a pic for yall.

So the return pump I have is working out pretty good. I originally purchased it for its built in flow adjustment knob. But it doesn't work very well at all.

The pump puts out 740GPH stock, it was pushing water up my 4-5 foot return piping pretty good, fully cranked up it was creating tons of flow up in my display. The GPH started getting lower and lower and then I realized there was a filter sponge inside the pump... So I removed it and its pushing water hard again.

The pump is not silent... and last night I was actually messing with it because I was getting annoyed with a low buzzing sound... Seems like it comes and goes. Sometimes I notice the sound, sometimes I dont.

Wish I had something to compare it to.

Archived