Top Shelf Aquatics

Tanked!

wartskin

this is going to be just like Finding Nemo all over again...

Nemo had every marketing tool available at time used to push it to mass media. There probably weren't too many kids that didn't see the movie as a result of that. Animal Planet isn't even available to all cable subscribers. I think it would be a lot different if it were on one of the big single digit channels. I don't watch Animal Planet regulary anyways, so one can assume that most people that watch that channel are animal lovers to begin with. I just don't think that this show will have the following necessary to start another Nemo trend, especially in this economy.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gawsh, hopefully we don't see people coming to N-R and posting "how hot should my false nemo's salt water be bcuz i havi t at 90 and i think hes cold" as a result of Tanked. People are stupid and people who want to make money encourage people to do stupid things.

Nemo had every marketing tool available at time used to push it to mass media. There probably weren't too many kids that didn't see the movie as a result of that. Animal Planet isn't even available to all cable subscribers. I think it would be a lot different if it were on one of the big single digit channels. I don't watch Animal Planet regulary anyways, so one can assume that most people that watch that channel are animal lovers to begin with. I just don't think that this show will have the following necessary to start another Nemo trend, especially in this economy.

You are right, plus I don't think they cater to our demographics I know there are a few NR members that can be consider (judging by their comments) filthy rich but for the most part who can afford a tank like those portrayed or who would even want to.

You are right, plus I don't think they cater to our demographics I know there are a few NR members that can be consider (judging by their comments) filthy rich but for the most part who can afford a tank like those portrayed or who would even want to.

Not me. I'm a baller on a budget. :D

Extacly! That show is unethical at best. Very sad for the tons of fish that will die due to them protraying the wrong idea about what saltwater aquarium is in reality and the care for it, and their really unethical choice of fish and the way they treat them.

I would rather watch "hooked", I bet less fish die in that program than in "tanked".

I saw this too, I couldn't believe how fast they filled that car up with fish. I have a strong suspicion they use canister filters or bio balls as well as I've yet to see any LR in any of their tanks.. I really wonder how many fish will die from the practices shown in the show.
Extacly! That show is unethical at best. Very sad for the tons of fish that will die due to them protraying the wrong idea about what saltwater aquarium is in reality and the care for it, and their really unethical choice of fish and the way they treat them.

I would rather watch "hooked", I bet less fish die in that program than in "tanked".

I would not say that that many animals will be directly affected through their bad treatment. In this case, any "reality" show on saltwater tanks will probably cause people to impulse buy without research. I really don't think it matters if it shows good practices such as waiting for a tank to cycle or not - a lot of these things are about instant gratification and not caring about "the rules" even if you are aware of them. Even so, if you learn all you know about aquariums from a TV show, even it's telling you all the right things, it's doubtful you are going to succeed without further research. Let's be honest, as has already been stated, a show on the nitrogen cycle would be considered pretty boring by most people :\ Hopefully people will research if it sparks an interest in them. I guess I don't like the idea of a show on aquariums in general when we have the internet (especially youtube)

That being said, I do not like the way they treated the fish. I have no idea why they felt the need to pull the snowflakes and cowfish out of the water when they are easier to observe under water when they aren't all shiny. However, I don't think they are purposefully trying to treat the fish badly or treat them as cash. Normal people don't go out of their way to kill or hurt animals - it's usually done out of ignorance. -_- Hopefully something is going on behind the scenes that we can't see.

The people that can afford their tanks can afford upkeep and whatever else

I think Discovery should create/edit an episode dedicated to the maintenance required for salt water aquariums. The whole episode could be the brother-in-laws at a client's house arguing about how not to clean an acrylic tank.

I dont get it. the customers on this show spends SO much money, and if they just did a little research they could have so much more. If you can pay for these crazy $100,000 you could certainly afford to make it an actual reef tank with live coral instead the fake crap these clowns put in their tanks. I guess if you are not willing to do some research and seek out real aquarium professionals you deserve to get jacked. this Tanked show has VERY little do with showing the aquarium hobby, its just another show about a business and they show the idiot staff making jokes and acting like morons , they just happen to be in the Large yet fake aquarium aquarium business. What i want to know is what makes them the "number 1 aquarium business in the country" ?? who came up with that? the number one based on what ? the # of fish that will die in the first week? the prices they charge? who told them they are # 1 ?

Obviously, the people who buy these tanks don't care about the aspects of creating a real tank. they are rich people who want a live television of fish. They aren't hobbyists nor do they want to clean their own tanks. Think about it, try telling someone who has no clue about reef tanks that you have a saltwater tank and they ask what fish you have. they don't even know that you can keep coral and don't care. When i try to show pics of my new coral to my friends they look at it and say "cool, it looks like flowers" and nothing else. Most people don't have a respect for what im showing them. If you don't care, you don't know.

They have a target market of people who want a nemo tank, and don't want to wait 2 months for a box of water to cycle. If they refused to build tanks the way they do they would be another LFS.

People are dumb and don't care about the hobby, and hate talking tech about their tank. I have friends who have tanks and I try to get into the tech aspects of it and they change the subject. Plain and simple the sheeple don't care about animals.

That being said I actually like the show.

No. River Monsters or nothing.

Crap, that's what I meant. My brain doesn't work good. :P

Hillbilly Hand Fishin'? :rolleyes:

Archived