Cultivated Reef

Tanked!

wartskin

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way. There is always a need to add something, and do water changes etc.. No tank will be self-sustainable. There is always the need for human intervention. Most people who experience tank crash are away when it happens. It's a risk for everybody that when you go away even for a few days you might come back to a tank full of death, fish or coral or both. Even the corals that are photosynthetic will need trace element, correct KH, calcium level etc...and they will benifit and grow better if they are fed. YOu could setup automatic dosing, top off etc, but you still need to refill and do maintenance on these systems, clean the glasses etc. When ever I spend a week away from my aquarium, there is always a lot of maintenance to do on the tank, trim a coral, clean the glasses, clean the skimmer, you name it.

Fish tanks can be quite low maintenance if you design it that way. But obviously, in the literal sense, it isn't self sustaining. Well... If you have the right equipment, you could have a self running tank where nothing needs to be done other than initial set up.
HecticDialectics
No way. There is always a need to add something, and do water changes etc.. No tank will be self-sustainable. There is always the need for human intervention. Most people who experience tank crash are away when it happens. It's a risk for everybody that when you go away even for a few days you might come back to a tank full of death, fish or coral or both. Even the corals that are photosynthetic will need trace element, correct KH, calcium level etc...and they will benifit and grow better if they are fed. YOu could setup automatic dosing, top off etc, but you still need to refill and do maintenance on these systems, clean the glasses etc. When ever I spend a week away from my aquarium, there is always a lot of maintenance to do on the tank, trim a coral, clean the glasses, clean the skimmer, you name it.

If you pay me I'll certainly teach you how to set up a tank that only needs minimum maintenance...

If you pay me I'll certainly teach you how to set up a tank that only needs minimum maintenance...

Just don't have fish, and sps corals, you will be alright.

• 5 months later...

Watches Tanked last night. I thought it was the biggest load of crap. From tank setup to livestock, it took about an hour. Surely they know about cycling! I know it goes people the wrong idea of saltwater.

HecticDialectics
Watches Tanked last night. I thought it was the biggest load of crap. From tank setup to livestock, it took about an hour. Surely they know about cycling! I know it goes people the wrong idea of saltwater.

You should probably re-read this thread and post again when you know what you're talking about.

HecticDialectics
Really? I dont need to read because I'm explaining what I think.

What you think... is based on incorrect assumptions.

Knowledge is power. Don't be so close-minded and arrogant.

HecticDialectics

Read the thread. They don't build the tank and set it up and stock entirely from scratch fresh in an hour.

Welcome to Movie Magic 101, kid. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And West Coast Choppers can build a full on custom in an hour too...totally unacceptable IMHO ;)

Oh :rolleyes: I should have elaborated. From installation to livestock, in an hour.

I understand what you're saying. It gives the wrong "impression" that people can just go home, fill it with water, then go buy Nemo.

But your original post didn't come across that way.

HecticDialectics
Oh :rolleyes: I should have elaborated. From installation to livestock, in an hour.

:huh:

Wow. This is why kids these days shouldn't watch so much tv. Absolutely zero reading comprehension skills or logical/analytical ability.

But is there really anything wrong with that? People who move their tanks all the time would then need to wait for a cycle that would never start. You can prep livestock for a tank to be able to put it in all at once.

:huh:

Wow. This is why kids these days shouldn't watch so much tv. Absolutely zero reading comprehension skills or logical/analytical ability.

This was the first time I sat down to watch TV in over a week. Don't even.

Its a good show IMO. Its meant to be watched by the general public so they dont show everything that needs to be done when setting up a tank. Us "fish tank nerds" know way more than the general public about this stuff so we see it differently. Most people wouldn't like to know all the technical details and the show would get terrible ratings if they talked about that in depth.

Most people wouldn't like to know all the technical details and the show would get terrible ratings if they talked about that in depth.
I don't know. I don't know squat about building motorcycles, but still enjoy watching the more technical aspects of American Chopper. I wish Tanked would get more technical; I don't think the general public would care. Plus, what is the target audience for the show?

Archived