Innovative Marine Aquariums

Howl's Mushroom Forest

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Maxi mini, aye or naw? Yay or nay? My sister wants to get me one for my 21st and it looks really lovely, deep red and purple with green frilly skirt, pink mouth and ton of other colours things happening...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More baby pictures...

IMG_7052.jpg

trying to shift this wee guy to someone else's tank locally but so far no takers! (scotland... ayrshire... not the biggest reefing community...)

What's this guy?

Loving the ank BTW

nathanq.inc

Thanks! It's my pulsing Xenia, it was labelled as the red sea pulse coral on the site I got it off (uk based). It's the brightest of whites and very dainty for a Xenia :) still grows an ton though.

My sister got me the mini maxi and some snails!! Excited to absolute bits

nathanq.inc

My Occelated dragonet passed away today :(. she stopped eating last week after an incident which involved her being sucked out my tank by the cleaning hose (must have been very traumatic) and then stopped hopping about my rocks and then stopped being alive... I would feed her with copepods and brine shrimp every other day but I kinda new she was never really getting enough because of my fat greedy clownfish.

I new she was on her way out the other day when I noticed my clownfish picking copepods of the glass wall and a few amphipods crawling about at night, haven't saw that happen since I put her in the tank.

nathanq.inc

I change the filter floss once a week and pick them off of it, usually I'd have fed them to the dragonet but the clowns got the lot this time. I would be lucky if I found 4 or 5 before but now I guess without my dragonet hunting them down there's quite a few more!

Livestock delivery tomorrow. I'll post pictures of the stuff once I have it in the tank. 2 zoa frags, 1 mushroom and a maxi mini nem! (plus snails)

mush495.jpg

nathanq.inc

delivery hiccups galore so I'm getting them today :) eagerly starring at my door waiting for delivery men lol.

I hope the colours are similar under my lighting!

Yeh those rho's went really quickly, think I got the last one! I'm getting them from a website called zoaphoria they are UK based, as am I. You can pick up some excellent deals there on the mushrooms, and there are usually other wee mushroom buds growing on the rock. With the last mushroom I bought there was a small yellowy mushroom on it.

nathanq.inc

So that's everything in! pictures are proving difficult 'cause we don't have the curtain up (getting new windows in) so I can't block out the sunlight.

Here's the rhodactis, looking forward to him opening right up! he's absolutely tiny, like 2cm or less...

P1100851.jpg

The snails I got were 4 zebra nerites and some other one that is super speedy. The zebras have gone straight for the glass and one of them decided to climb completely out of the water and is on the lid of my tank... anyone know why they would do that? my turban snails sit at the waters edge sometimes but never completely out of the water!

snails out the water

P1100868.jpg

unknown snail

P1100855.jpg

the maxi mini looks amazing! but pictures are poor :(

P1100859.jpg

found a zoa spider whilst dipping! only one though..

P1100849.jpg

how do you think the zoa's look? they have slowly started opening but the stalks look a bit frail...

P1100853.jpg

P1100852.jpg

Great new pictures!!!!! I've never seen a zoa spider before...eek!!! :lol:

Those zoas look well for the most part. I've had some come in looking sickly, but with proper water parameters they perked right up after a few days. I wouldn't worry about them :happy:

nathanq.inc

They are very ugly little things and I hope you never have to see one in real life lol.

I've got a water change planned tomorrow and I'll keep and eye on them! does anyone know what the sting of a maxi mini is like to humans? Howl the cleaner shrimp seems to get a jolt if he touches him for too long.

I'm not sure on the sting. I think they are just mostly sticky. I know when I touch mushrooms I'll feel a numbing sensation in my hand and arm. I would imagine it'd be very similar to that. My LFS guy touches maxis and says they don't hurt. This guy also handles baby blue-ringed octopus so I'm not sure his sensations are the same as a normal person's :lol:

nathanq.inc

That's mental! he's just asking for trouble! yeh my big green rhodactis ones give me that numbing feeling... one of my blue/purple tonga mushrooms got a bit more of a numbing sensation today from my euphyllia which has grown a bit close and melted the mushroom with it's sweeper tentacle, lucky the mushroom was small and I had a water change planned but it was quite a gloopy mess lol.

Everything is settling in nicely and my maxi mini nem (more maxi than mini, easily 5" across) is on the move!

It is mental :lol: He said at the "baby" stage they can't break the skin when they bite. Still....why chance it????

Have you been feeding the maxi? I've got 3 in my frag tank and they don't budge because I feed them everyday. Well, they haven't budged yet anyways :)

nathanq.inc

It's not like a sting from a jelly or that it's just a pins and needles sensation, like when you get a dead arm only in a very small area of your body, your finger tip.

No I haven't fed it yet. Will it be ok on light alone? I don't feed any of my corals directly. I have tried but, howl and calcifer (the resident shrimps) and kamaji (the sea serpent) just steal the food. The only coral that can compete is my duncan, all the other ones are too slow to eat the stuff (and even when the duncan catches some food I hate having to watch the shrimps near enough tear it to bits).

I think they need to be fed as well. That's probably why it's started moving on you. They definitely love to eat. They pretty much close up around the food the instant it touches them so that should help with your resident thieves!!!!!! I feed mine pieces of raw shrimp.

nathanq.inc

Ok so I bought a fresh Scottish Langoustine for my tank inhabitants (only the best for my tank haha). Everything went mental! although the maxi mini never responded to the food :/ and nor did the hammer coral (i used the bottle covering and leave the food on it).

I don't actually know how hammers eat... it produced a lot of mucus which had trapped cyclop-eeze in it (rolled the langoustine in that before putting in my tank). Is that how they eat? I thought it would be more like the duncan and just close up around the food.

I think the maxi mini was just annoyed because I had him upside down while I peeled off some zoa's that were growing near his foot. Saw them and thought they were aps, turns out they are yellowy zoa's.

nathanq.inc
Rename the tank as Mushroom Gorge and callthe inhabitants like Funky Kong, Rosalina and Dry Bones! :)

I'm ace at mario cart, yoshi was always my favourite haha

I put a chunk of silver side or some mysis on my mini minis with forceps and they close up over it. I stand guard to keep my cleaner shrimp from pilfering though.

Archived