SaltCritters.com

Real Ocean water from Petco, is it good?

vince76

I used it very briefly. I was trying to be lazy about water changes and found it to have inconsistent parameters. I suppose that I could have just got a couple of bad boxes. I switched back to mixing my own water and haven't looked back.

Thanks for feedback. I like the fact it's already made and it can be used immediately, hope it was only bad boxes.

Anyone else are using this Ocean water?

I wouldn't waste the money. Just look into getting a good salt and an RODI filter. A little more expensive up front buy you will save a ton in the long run.

irondragon013

I believe mixing your own is the only way to have true consistency with your parameters. I prefer the control you get with mixing your own.

Thanks for replies

Agreed to make my own salt water, but for 16 Gal nano it's more equipement and time for just 1 or 2 gal by week.

If I had a bigger tank for sure I will go this road.

Nobody are using this Ocean water?

28g nano noob
Thanks for replies

Agreed to make my own salt water, but for 16 Gal nano it's more equipement and time for just 1 or 2 gal by week.

If I had a bigger tank for sure I will go this road.

Nobody are using this Ocean water?

i jus ordered 30 gallons i used it in my 10g nano for over a year no probs ever but that me

I used it years ago when i first started salt water and it worked just fine... gets to be very expensive though. My RODI was probably the best purchase I ever made in this hobby.

28g nano noob
I used it years ago when i first started salt water and it worked just fine... gets to be very expensive though. My RODI was probably the best purchase I ever made in this hobby.

yeah u ant kidding on the expensive part im looking into a ro/di filter

yeah u ant kidding on the expensive part im looking into a ro/di filter

airwaterice.com has the best for the $$$ in my opinion. and a year after my purchase they sent me free replacement filters (all except r/o membrane). it was a pleasant surprise. Its been 5 yrs now and they still send be email reminders about every 6 months to check and replace filters.

28g nano noob
airwaterice.com has the best for the $$$ in my opinion. and a year after my purchase they sent me free replacement filters (all except r/o membrane). it was a pleasant surprise. Its been 5 yrs now and they still send be email reminders about every 6 months to check and replace filters.

thanks dave im looking on the site now and if u dont mind me asking wat kind of salt do you use

I am currently using Reef Crystals, seems to have all round the best parameters without eating a huge hole in my wallet.

28g nano noob
I am currently using Reef Crystals, seems to have all round the best parameters without eating a huge hole in my wallet.

haha yeah my ol lady about killed me so far im in 400 on the 28g lol but i may buy the mighty mini here in a few weeks

... I'm sold I'm buying RO/DI unit my MP10 will wait for next month. ^^

Thanks for feedback

You wont regret it.

28g nano noob
... I'm sold I'm buying RO/DI unit my MP10 will wait for next month. ^^

Thanks for feedback

id get the mighty mite pretty cheap

28g nano noob
It's the one that I just ordered 10 sec ago, seems perfect for my 16 gal tank

same thing i said lol humm insted of buying car parts this check ill buy the filter its $124 shipped to me

I'm sure it's fine but look how expensive it is. $2 per gallon. Not worth it at all. If you don't want to mix your own, you can find a good LFS and buy pre-mixed. Over here it's like 75 cents/gallon.

ry05coupe

How often do you have to change the filter on this unit? once every year?

So fr yearly had been about right. minus a 3 month perios when I had a 75, I've been making water for only a 40b.

I replaced the old filters with the current ones in like feb or march. I tested some fresh RO tonight and it is still 0TDS

A resounding yes! I've been using nothing but this water from the start, been in this hobby since Thanksgiving 2010. The slogan "just add fish" is probably true I was a noob (still am) so the LFS sold me a sand sifting starfish in my 2nd week of setup. I had several hitchhikers that came with my LR and they survive till today including my star. Never got a cycle either.

I cannot dispute other comments about the parameters always being different. They probably are. But in a nano cube your size or mine, it takes very little get the params out of wack to begin with. Watch the specific gravity/salinity.

This water is my best kept secret.

Hi,

Does anyone are using for reef tank the real ocean water that Petco are selling?

http://www.petco.com/product/11884/PETCO-R...at=OnSiteSearch

I wonder if I can use only this ocean water without any problem?

Does someone have tested this water?

Thanks for feedback

Archived