Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OKOKOK you guys got me. I just wanted to wait to get better pics! Haha I have the 3GS, my boyfriend has the 4 though. They do indeed take much better pics. However, here the long waited pics are!!

Radioactive Dragon Eyes Zoa!

P1040074.jpg?t=1312954398

Purple and metallic green mushie - top down

P1040077.jpg?t=1312954650

Mushie front shot

P1040076.jpg?t=1312954877

My two ceriths doin their thing on the glass

P1040083.jpg?t=1312954936

Kinda blurry frag group shot

P1040084.jpg?t=1312955102

Top down of zoas because there is actually 2 different zoas there, the dragon eyes and a purplish one I am working on IDing... Pardon the crappy photobucket editing, but I was trying to brighten up and sharpen the middle darker ones, which are the ones that need to be id'd.

P1040078-1.jpg?t=1312955345

Annnndddd finally, a FTS!

P1040086.jpg?t=1312955461

Hope you all got your fix in! That took a lot of resizing :P

ALSO - exciting stuff! Found 2 feather dusters! One came on the rubble the zoa is on, it is itty bitty teeny weenie (no jokes... :mellow: ) with a red straw bit the duster comes out of, and there is a larger (barely...) purple one growing on my LR I just saw tonight :) No pics because they are in impossible locations.

What color are the skirts of the purple ones? That's a real nice frag though! Mush looks good, everything looks good!

I'll let you slide with the 3GS but you can still get good shots with it too. I took this with a 3GS:

WzUw8.jpg

Hurray for fester dusters! I think I enjoy finding new life I didn't purposefully add more than what I did. :)

nice new frags. dragon eyes sometimes get sold with eagle eyes but i cant tell from that pic. those look darker (still remember zoas do change under different lights)

nice new frags. dragon eyes sometimes get sold with eagle eyes but i cant tell from that pic. those look darker (still remember zoas do change under different lights)

They definitely aren't eagle eyes.

Joel - the skirts are either dark purple or black/grey as far as I can tell with maybe flecks of yellow or green? And the center is mainly darker and there is a light magenta coloured ring. I'll see if I can get a better shot!

Oh and nice shot with the 3GS! It does take some decent pics, but I find it doesn't work as well for close ups and capturing good colours under my led lighting!

Hmmmmmmmmm I'm sure someone knows what zoas they are but I certainly don't. Also, zoas can color up immensely under good conditions. I have a colony that when I bought it was brown and now it has changed to have yellow eyes, forest green body, and kelly green skirts. Pictures don't show it but I think they are Green Bay Packers. But with all the little notes of colors yours have and now under led lighting they could become awesome!

Yeah the white balance is sucky with iPhones, that's a big complaint of mine. My main reason I want a dslr is so I can get visually representative actinic/lunar led shots.

sounds like a very faded green zoa. when they have inadequate lighting, the green zoas' center ring becomes blue or purple and very dark so you cant tell. the mouth is usually dark gray purple, and the skirt is dark as well lol, possibly with shades of brown and purple. but we need a better pic! haha.

Haha I'm gonna let them be for a while and see what happens.

I made a bad discovery today - I'm pretty sure it was a rock crab sitting on one of my pieces of LR. He was about half an inch long, white and fairly fuzzy. I remember seeing a pic just like it on Chuck's Ultimate ID website, so I tried to grab it out with tweezers but unfortunately was too panicked and didn't get it. I'm kind of kicking myself because if I had taken a second and slowed down, I could have gotten him for sure. Must figure out how to get him out....

Any suggestions on catching rock crabs?

Also much more exciting news - I got the tank that me and my mom are going to set up in our new condo! It's approximately 35g... Will be starting a build thread for that soon! It won't be set up until we move, but I have a bunch of questions about it. Stay tuned!

In the mean time... Damn crab... *shake fist*

This was the solution I came up with:

I knew which piece of LR he was in, so I took it out and put in it a bucket with premixed saltwater. The rock is on one side of the bucket, and there is various food (hikari sinking wafers and hikari shrimp pellets) on the other side of the bucket. I'm hoping that I will see him out feasting on food and I can take the rock out of the bucket, thus trapping the crab in the bucket (lol KOS song...) with no where to hide!

Evil genius laugh! :haha:

Sounds like a solid plan. I found an asternia star in my tank and it was after I could have easily got it I realized that I had read they eat coralline and some even eat zoas. Kicking myself too!

I fresh water dipped the rock the crab was on and ended up getting him out! At least I'm hoping it's him... I remember him looking different but I was pretty panicked. Also got the bristleworm out that stung my finger! So the rock is back in the tank now and everything is good :)

Nice! Now I have to get my stuff together and find the asternia start that's in mine... Anything that eats coralline and has the possibility to eat zoas as well is not welcome in my house!

Nice! Now I have to get my stuff together and find the asternia start that's in mine... Anything that eats coralline and has the possibility to eat zoas as well is not welcome in my house!

Ya no kidding! Get it out!

Yeah tonight I'm injecting the few aiptasia I have and then rescaping. I'm running out of room, gotta shift things around!

As for the star I'm hoping I find him while rescaping. When/what are you adding next?

Haha good question. I think I'm adding a fish on the 23rd because that's my birthday and my mom wants to get me a fish :P So I'm thinking a firefish. And probably also some frags to go along with it...

I'm not sure which corals I want next. I love zoas, and would really like a brain but I think my tank isn't mature enough.

Any suggestions? Something bright and colorful :)

Happy early berfday. :)

As for colorful and bright, you can't go wrong with *insert wacky name* zoas. Whatever color you want you can find in those. The pictures don't do it justice, but that orange Yuma I got is super bright and glows like crazy under the actinics. Probably the brightest in my tank.

jzRx6.jpg the camera only captures like 1/10th the glow. I'm sure the other ricordeas are similar.

It's official - I ordered the Current USA Subcurrent Internal Filter for my tank... No more oily slick on top for me!! I'm really looking forward to the dual output that I can choose where they point... My Koralia 425 does not give me any surface agitation at all. I also hope to eliminate a dead spot in the nifty cave on the left side of my tank. I kind of wish I had gone with the Tunze Turbelle powerhead so that I could adjust the direction... I hate being stuck with the slightly downward tilted flow of the Koralia.

Ah well, such is life! Lesson learned for my bigger set up. Does anyone know if the larger Koralias are adjustable?

In other news, hoping to be able to make it to some kind of LFS in the next week or so and snag another frag or two :) Zoas are all opening up, and I actually discovered there are two polyps of some kind of paly I think... Hard to say, their colour is quite pale but they definitely have orange skirts. I'll wait and see what they evolve into and grab a pic!

I also want to definitely grab more CUC, I thought that 4 snails and a hermit would seem like a lot but it doesn't!! What other kind of snails should I get? I have 2 cerith and 2 nassarius, 1 blue legged hermie.

On the hermie note also - is it normal for them to pick a rock and camp out on it? I haven't seen my hermit leave the one rock that's right in front of the filter head for at least 2 days.

/end of train of thought rambling.

I wouldn't worry about the hermit yet. We added one to each of our tanks yesterday, and Ang's has barely moved, just camping out on the sand. She keeps saying that it must be dead, but I am sure it's not =0)

Archived