Top Shelf Aquatics

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

Hahaha I'd love some rics, but you can't have my monti!! :D I got it for a steal at my LFS, I think I only paid $8 for it or something ridiculous.

That firefish sounds like a ripoff! I don't remember how much I got mine for, but I think it was around $25... Surely no more than $40 for sure though.

Are you in Canada or US?

$8! :mellow: LOL what a score. i knew that lfs was ripping me off for that firefish but he looks so cool. i want to take the risk of buying him and hoping that he won't jump out but that's not fair.

i'm in t.dot!

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weeeee only one final and one paper left and I'm done my semester :happydance:

I plan on buying a ric to celebrate when it's over. Next Tuesday to be exact. Also going to convince my boyfriend that we should go to all you can eat sushi that is delicious.

Woot!!!! I remember that feeling well...even after all of these years. Nothing like it. I went to Purdue University on-campus. I loved my summers being back at home. And then, of course, by summer's end I couldn't wait to get back to school. As fun as it was, I wouldn't want to go back :lol:

Sounds like a fantastic way to celebrate...rics and all-you-can-eat sushi!!!!!

$8! :mellow: LOL what a score. i knew that lfs was ripping me off for that firefish but he looks so cool. i want to take the risk of buying him and hoping that he won't jump out but that's not fair.

i'm in t.dot!

You can't find another LFS in Toronto that has one? That's surprising! And yeah if you have a firefish you'll definitely want a cover. They settle in after a while, but the first week I had mine it tried to jump a gazillion times.

Woot!!!! I remember that feeling well...even after all of these years. Nothing like it. I went to Purdue University on-campus. I loved my summers being back at home. And then, of course, by summer's end I couldn't wait to get back to school. As fun as it was, I wouldn't want to go back :lol:

Sounds like a fantastic way to celebrate...rics and all-you-can-eat sushi!!!!!

Yeah summers are so long! 4 months is too much time. But I didn't want to go all the way through cuz it's too many semesters in a row. I go next fall, spring 13 and then 2 courses of summer 13 and I'm done :D

I also can't wait for end of semester celebrations :)

Ok guys, do I want an MP10?! I feel like it would be beneficial to have alternating current and such... But it's hard to swallow the $220+ price tag - and that's for a used one! The cheapest I can get locally for a new one is $250 but they're backordered...

I can't decide! I haven't seen too much in the way of local used one. I put out LF ads on BC aquaria and Canreef, so we'll see.

On the bright side, found some sweet looking deals on the BC Aquaria classifieds, sent out some PMs. Some chalice frags for "$5-$20". How can you go wrong?!

You can get a new mp10 from marinedepot for $230ish, but idk if they ship to Canada? I'm really happy with mine so far, except for the whole torch coral fiasco. I got mine for high, random flow for the sps I want to start keeping. If you're just going to stick with softies/lps then it'll probably be more of a luxury item than a real necessity.

Oh man! I want sushi and an MP10 now. :lol:;) I have 3 more weeks until my spring semester ends. I'm so ready for summer break! I've been going to college year round for the last 5-ish years so this will be the first time I have a break longer than a couple weeks! :o

Ok guys, do I want an MP10?! I feel like it would be beneficial to have alternating current and such... But it's hard to swallow the $220+ price tag - and that's for a used one! The cheapest I can get locally for a new one is $250 but they're backordered...

I can't decide! I haven't seen too much in the way of local used one. I put out LF ads on BC aquaria and Canreef, so we'll see.

On the bright side, found some sweet looking deals on the BC Aquaria classifieds, sent out some PMs. Some chalice frags for "$5-$20". How can you go wrong?!

Yes, you want one :) You won't regret the purchase if you decide to do it!!!!!!

Sounds like some nice coral deals!!!!!

You can get a new mp10 from marinedepot for $230ish, but idk if they ship to Canada? I'm really happy with mine so far, except for the whole torch coral fiasco. I got mine for high, random flow for the sps I want to start keeping. If you're just going to stick with softies/lps then it'll probably be more of a luxury item than a real necessity.

Yeah that price sounds about right. I would like to get into some more SPS when I get into the bigger tank, so I think I'd like the MP10... I don't know!

Geez? You should celebrate with more than one little ric!!!

Sushi!!!! My favorite.

Hahaha we'll see what happens! I always get weak when I'm actually in the store :P

And sushi is one of my faves too!

Oh man! I want sushi and an MP10 now. :lol:;) I have 3 more weeks until my spring semester ends. I'm so ready for summer break! I've been going to college year round for the last 5-ish years so this will be the first time I have a break longer than a couple weeks! :o

Yikes 5 years is a long time! What are you going to school for? I only have 3 semesters left then I'm done my BA :D

Yes, you want one :) You won't regret the purchase if you decide to do it!!!!!!

Sounds like some nice coral deals!!!!!

Hahaha I think I want one too! I'm just justifying the money in my mind.

Thanks for the input! :)

What would be better:

AC110 modded or a CPR HOB fuge? I just watched a review video for it on youtube and it looks pretty nice.

The problem is that I can't make up my mind! I started out majoring in Biology then nixed that and ended up getting an Associates in Business Administration. I started working on my Bachelors in Business Admin and then decided to change to Sport Management. And that's where I'm at now! :happy:

What would be better:

AC110 modded or a CPR HOB fuge? I just watched a review video for it on youtube and it looks pretty nice.

Both would get the job done, so I don't think it's a question of function. They both cost about the same, and while I think the CPR fuge looks nicer, I don't think that really matters much. I think the main difference with the AC110 is that you'd have to mod it, whereas the CPR fuge was designed to be a fuge in the first place. I've read that it's not hard to do, but it's still more work, and there's that off-chance you could make a mistake.

The CPR HOB fuge is nice. I had one before. My biggest gripe with it was that you can't see what's going on with it behind the tank!!!!! If I were to do one again, I'd place it on the side so I could see what was going on in it, although I'm not sure if that's safe to do with the weight of the thing. I'd have to look into that.

I've also done the AC110 modded. I definitely like the CPR better for the amount of space you are given. I'm trying to remember if a pump had to sit in the tank to feed the fuge. That would be a drawback for me....seeing unsightly equipment in the tank. With the AC110...it's just the intake tube...not bad at all.

Sounds like your LFS is not being a very good BF :lol:

I think my LFS wants to break up, they haven't contacted me about my fishy yet

Be careful. If they want a break... it might lead to an actual break up :angry:

Hope you hear from them

The problem is that I can't make up my mind! I started out majoring in Biology then nixed that and ended up getting an Associates in Business Administration. I started working on my Bachelors in Business Admin and then decided to change to Sport Management. And that's where I'm at now! :happy:

Haha sounds exciting! You've covered a wife variety :P

Both would get the job done, so I don't think it's a question of function. They both cost about the same, and while I think the CPR fuge looks nicer, I don't think that really matters much. I think the main difference with the AC110 is that you'd have to mod it, whereas the CPR fuge was designed to be a fuge in the first place. I've read that it's not hard to do, but it's still more work, and there's that off-chance you could make a mistake.

Hmm thanks! I can't decide. I've even debated doing a DIY all in one. Who knows

The CPR HOB fuge is nice. I had one before. My biggest gripe with it was that you can't see what's going on with it behind the tank!!!!! If I were to do one again, I'd place it on the side so I could see what was going on in it, although I'm not sure if that's safe to do with the weight of the thing. I'd have to look into that.

I've also done the AC110 modded. I definitely like the CPR better for the amount of space you are given. I'm trying to remember if a pump had to sit in the tank to feed the fuge. That would be a drawback for me....seeing unsightly equipment in the tank. With the AC110...it's just the intake tube...not bad at all.

Sounds like your LFS is not being a very good BF :lol:

You do need a pump to feed the CPR... I agree it's ugly :P

Be careful. If they want a break... it might lead to an actual break up :angry:

Hope you hear from them

Hehehehe ya... I'm gonna have to give them an email.

i cant wait until this semester is over! good luck!

Thanks! I can't wait either :)

----------

Ok is this a good deal? A Canadian online retailer is offering me the MP10 wireless for $299, he will give me a Hydor Theo 200W heater ($29.99 value) for free, and free shipping... My first reaction is no, because I don't need the wireless and could get that for 249.99... And get a heater for less than $50 locally I think. Ugh I hate being so indecisive. Plus, I don't need a heater that big, I only need a 75 or 100W I'm thinking for a 20L?

I'd just get the regular one.

I got the wireless mp10, but it was probably a waste of $$ because, I don't plan on getting a bigger tank anytime soon or even adding another mp10 in my current tank. But.....ya never know!!!!

Sent my LFS an email, reminding him to keep looking for my fish! Someone that's local said you have to keep reminding him, as he can be forgetful. I just don't want to be a pest!

I just don't want to be a pest!

You're such an aiptasia.

:slap:

But seriously, I hope you get your hands on that fish. Pink streaked wrasse right? When you mentioned it a couple weeks ago or however long it was, you really made me want one. I can't make up my mind on my next (and likely last) fish.

You're such an aiptasia.

:slap:

But seriously, I hope you get your hands on that fish. Pink streaked wrasse right? When you mentioned it a couple weeks ago or however long it was, you really made me want one. I can't make up my mind on my next (and likely last) fish.

LOL damn aiptasia.

Yes you're right, pink streaked. They sound pretty cool, and hopefully won't be as cryptic as advertised because my inhabitants will all be fairy passive. Now I just need to find one! If this fails, Gena told me to ask if Blue Zoo aquatics will ship to Canada... But then it becomes very expensive in shipping!

I'm becoming more and more a fan of making my 20L have a small section on one end that would include some filtration and possibly fuge area. DIY AIO ftw.

Looking into custom acrylic shops that can cut the divider for me. I know I could fashion one myself, but I'd rather get one made with nicely cut teeth on the top of it. I still need to research how I will go about dividing it up though. Suggestions welcome!

Archived