Pod Your Reef

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

No screen looks good, that's just how it is sadly. It actually sits inside the rim so looking at the tank from the typical viewing angle you don't even see it.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But don't you think that looks a little unsightly? :P

They do have a somewhat grumpy quality, but it's cute :D

you could always paint it black, but i don't know how it would effect lighting. if i made one i'd do it like joel's. tank is looking great! every time i see it i want a fire fish.

No screen looks good, that's just how it is sadly. It actually sits inside the rim so looking at the tank from the typical viewing angle you don't even see it.

True... Does it affect light at all? I feel like the mesh screening would be less obtrusive.. I dunno

you could always paint it black, but i don't know how it would effect lighting. if i made one i'd do it like joel's. tank is looking great! every time i see it i want a fire fish.

True! I'm not sure, I'll debate it. Thanks for the compliment :) I love Gilbert, he's pretty entertaining!

Well that's good! I think I might do that but spray paint it black. How big are the holes? My fish are all gonna be pretty tiny, 2-3" long, so pretty skinny. Would they be able to jump ship?

Ugh I keep hitting brick walls with finding the fish I want. Still no luck with the Tanaka's pygmy wrasse, and just heard back from the first LFS I emailed about the pink streaked wrasse and they said they have never seen one but would put me on a "wait list". So I just emailed the next one on my list (that said they might be able to get a Tanaka's, but haven't gotten back to me about it yet).

After this, I'm going to have to widen my search. I really don't want to have to go further, I'm not crazy about shipping fish. I know lots of people do, but I want to see it before I buy it. I'm feeling frustrated! At least I know I'll be able to get my bangaii, I see them all the time.

nyknicks4412
Well that's good! I think I might do that but spray paint it black. How big are the holes? My fish are all gonna be pretty tiny, 2-3" long, so pretty skinny. Would they be able to jump ship?

Be very careful spray painting something that is so close in contact with the water! Hate to see you contaminate your water. The reason I went with the screen top is that it blocks less light. Ill snap a pick tomorrow was a busy day.

I'm not exactly sure, maybe 1/2"? I can measure for you. There's really no way they could jump out. Even they are smaller than the holes, the fact that the sheet is 1/4" thick (I think) would trip them up and they'd just fall back down.

I would spray paint it and let it dry thoroughly before putting it over the tank. Thanks for the help everyone :) Now if only I could find the fish I want :(

Now if only I could find the fish I want :(

fingerscrossed

If I had to wait for my LFS to get one in, I'd be waiting probably a year :lol: There's always LA if you get desperate :)

Make sure you use the "plastic" spray paint and let it dry for a week or so.

Thanks for the tip! :)

fingerscrossed

If I had to wait for my LFS to get one in, I'd be waiting probably a year :lol: There's always LA if you get desperate :)

Yeah I don't know what I'm gonna do! I really want to get the fish I want, not have to settle for something just because it's available. But I also don't wanna have to pay an arm and a leg... I still consider myself a novice, so I wouldn't want to pay more than $50 for a fish and have it die on me :(

Noiiice!

Thank you!

Currently in the process of boiling the dead rock. I read so much different advice as to how to prepare it, so I kind of came up with my own method.

I scrubbed them off in a rubbermaid with a new dish scrubber.

But them in boiling water for 15 minutes

Put them back in the rubbermaid with an aggressive vinegar treatment

Rinse with fresh water vigorously.

Take them to my boyfriend's house and stick them in the rubbermaid with an airpump and let them leach out anything, I will test for phosphates and what not at this point.

Question: while they are in the rubbermaid I am not trying to cycle them at all, do they need a heater? I was just planning on putting in the airpump for a bit of aeration.

Pics will follow, even though it isn't that exciting :P

you forgot to put it in the oven and bake it for 10mins hot. lol Not a living soul would made it out of that! :) Can't wait to see pictures!

Yeah you're definitely doing it right. I'll admit that my dead rock dried out and sat for 5 years and then all I did was rinse it off before putting it in my fw tank. Then I only rinsed it off when I added it to my reef. I'm not advocating that in anyway, but it was a rare moment of laziness that didn't cause any negative consequences. :lol:

It's bubbling away in a rubbermaid in my bathtub now... I poured in a bunch of vinegar, no real ratio :P If I had to guess I would say it is 2 parts water, 1 part vinegar. I'm thinking I'll let it soak for a couple hours, then rinse thoroughly.

One kind of strange thing - there were a few rocks that had a rust coloured stain on them, and with the vinegar bath, those stains are getting darker brown. Cause for concern?

Great success! I think I might have some luck with finding the fish I was looking for. Just received this email from one of my LFS:

"Yep they do turn up on the lists also. I can keep an eye out for them and let you know if I see one. Hopefully in the next week or two they should be available. Talk to you later!"

That was in regards to both tanaka's and pink streaked wrasses I'm assuming. In the case of being able to get both, would they be compatible (because they are both wrasses, I wasn't sure). If not (and also depending on price) I would pick the pink streaked wrasse.

Yay!!

Great success! I think I might have some luck with finding the fish I was looking for. Just received this email from one of my LFS:

"Yep they do turn up on the lists also. I can keep an eye out for them and let you know if I see one. Hopefully in the next week or two they should be available. Talk to you later!"

That was in regards to both tanaka's and pink streaked wrasses I'm assuming. In the case of being able to get both, would they be compatible (because they are both wrasses, I wasn't sure). If not (and also depending on price) I would pick the pink streaked wrasse.

Yay!!

Glad it's all coming together! Looking forward to see the new build.

Yay!!

That's great!!!!! I think two wrasses would fight. I'm glad the pink streaked is your first choice :happy:

I'm glad the pink streaked is your first choice :happy:

+1 I love that wrasse one of the most peaceful fish ive ever owned.

Glad it's all coming together! Looking forward to see the new build.

Thanks! I'm anxious too! :)

That's great!!!!! I think two wrasses would fight. I'm glad the pink streaked is your first choice :happy:

That's kind of the answer I was expecting. I can't wait for the pink streaked! I'll be kind of sad if he can only get the Tanaka's... I kind of have my heart set on a pink streaked. Maybe I'll just get a bangaii and wait out the pink streaked. Good things come to those who wait after all! :D

+1 I love that wrasse one of the most peaceful fish ive ever owned.

I'm glad I made a good decision :D Thanks for stopping by Hype!

Archived