Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's badass BC14, retired

metrokat

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you. Side note, BOUGHT MY FIRST FISH!!! yesterday. An adorable Yasha Goby. And I've been having nightmares because I also bought a pair of zebra pistols that seem to have NO information on the internet anywhere.

Nightmare or what?

So after I put the Yasha and 2 striped pistols in the tank, someone on the forum ID'd the pistols as murdering bastards. I posted a couple of times to get more information and finally I have some. Unfortunately the pistols I got will not pair with Gobies. I tore apart the tank to get the critters, scared my Yasha to death. Found only one pistol and Yasha completely disappeared for over 24 hours. Spotted him just a short while ago, cute as ever. Fed him some mysis. My 'scape changed of course. Here is the new picture:

IMG_20110927_155645.jpg

I moved some rubble and a rock to my new 2.5G QT tank which is home for new arrivals for a couple of weeks.

The tank already has new additions!

Yasha Goby

a pair of Zebra Pistols (alpheus parvirostris) (moved one to QT tank, other missing)

Yellow Florida Ric

Neon Blue Zoas

Small frag of zoas either whammin watermelon or eagle eyes

YellowSea Whip

Porcelain crab

Will try to get pics soon.

Done it again, changed the 'scape. i need to learn how to keep my hands OUT OF THIS TANK! Need to be in a straight jacket around this thing.

IMG_20110930_134439.jpg

My Zoa branch is touching my GSP, is that bad?

IMG_20110930_133253.jpg

In other news, this hidden cup coral seems to be eating a dwarf cerith. Or maybe the cerith is trying to clean the coral? When I first saw it, the cerith was perpendicular, as if being injested, now it looks like this:

IMG_20110930_133524.jpg

Looking for an ID on these Zoa's

IMG_20110930_133532.jpg

Nice looking tank! I'm surprised everything looks so un-pissed off for the amount of times you have changed your rock work. ;) I just stick my hand in the tank and the shriveling begins.

Nice looking tank! I'm surprised everything looks so un-pissed off for the amount of times you have changed your rock work. ;) I just stick my hand in the tank and the shriveling begins.

Hmm. Maybe because my hand is always in the tank, they think I'm a fish? :P

I'm not kidding you, my hand is always in the tank, I need to stop.

Deleted User 6

Definitely getting eaten.

IMG_20110930_133524.jpg

Also pics of your gobies. I had 4 masked gobies at one point. Really energetic, bold little fish.

I've got a Duncan!

And a yellow Ric!

And a nano yellow sea whip

And neon blue zoas.

And ah, the scape changed again but honestly it was because the LFS gave me some free mushrooms that were unattached. And they decided to float away, I was on a rescue mission. Still missing 2....

The scape is wobbly, and I bought some epoxy to fix that. This Sunday (hopefully) I'm going to commit to a scape and epoxy that sh** down! And straight jacket myself. Oh wait I need a dremel.

ApiratenamedJohn

cant wait to see the new scape. but im curious as to how you are gonna go about doing this since the tank is already established and has so much growth. you mind sharing some secrets with this noob? i need to re do my scape too but have been putting it off cause i dont know a good way to do this with out a lot of die off.

cant wait to see the new scape. but im curious as to how you are gonna go about doing this since the tank is already established and has so much growth. you mind sharing some secrets with this noob? i need to re do my scape too but have been putting it off cause i dont know a good way to do this with out a lot of die off.

Oh. Well. The growth you see is macros, they came on the rock. They spent 2-3 days in the hot summer weather in a box with paper towels in shipping and lived. Then they survived 6 hours of initial 'scaping with paper towels covering them. I'd say they are pretty hardy.

My corals right now are all on little pieces of rubble. I've been waiting to collect them all, or most of them, and then glue them to the rock according to light and flow requirements.

The only corals that are already on the rocks are my hitchhikers - sponges (which have gotten out of the water many many many times and continue to live) and a rose coral which does get very pissed off if I take it out.

Mostly, the big scape changes are few and far in between (meaning take out the rocks). Usually I can just tweak it under water. This weekend however it's going to be 2-3-4 containers full of water, remove the rock, keep the basic 'scape, make sure it is stable. dremel the loose rocks so they don't wobble, alternatively I think maybe I'll just epoxy it (might be less stressful to the rock with the brain coral on it).

As for die off: I was told to expect a harsh cycle with these rocks. Nothing. Nada. Never did a water change, never had an ammonia spike . Zip. Zilch. Nyet. I think it's my magic water: catalina water company. AKA petco water.

I have to emphasize: tanks should be left alone. I'm not following my own advice.

ApiratenamedJohn

thank you, i think thats what im gonna do. fill a few buckets with water and do it that way. is there an epoxy that will harden under water or will you leave the rocks out for that?

The epoxy I got from the LFS is called Aqua stick I think, made by two little fishies

Also pics of your gobies. I had 4 masked gobies at one point. Really energetic, bold little fish.

Masked goby did not make it :(

Nice tank - I like number 1 and number whatever, the last one posted.

I would like to have a rose coral. Is it doing well in your tank?

I tried aqua stick epoxy but have not had great success. It seems to release from the LR unless I really get it into the cracks/crevices of the rock. Working time, before it hardens, it is pretty quick. Hope your success with it is better. I use super glue gel - on wet rocks and underwater - but it's mainly for gluing smaller things.

surgicalsense

I think you did a excellent job on your tank, geesh makes me want to rescape my tank. I am very new to the nano reef world. I have never thought to use pvc to help supend the shelf LR like that. I have one large one in my 24g. I think I have close to 10lbs LR now of various kinds. I think I lost my watchman due to a rock colapse. That is what makes me want to redue my scape mostly. I have posted a few pictures, I would totally like to know what you think. It is pretty basic scape.

Okay. So I rescued the runaway mushrooms. And before I do my final scape this is the picture of the way it looks right now.

IMG_20111005_165042.jpg

Snail on the frag, super pissed of Kenya Tree

IMG_20111005_165156.jpg

Runway Mushrooms (1 decided to attach itself in the shade somewhere, silly 'shroom) and Neon Blue Zoas (they look light blue to me but whatever)

IMG_20111005_165221.jpg

Zoas looked like this when I got them

IMG_20110928_132252.jpg

Piggy's new hidey hole

IMG_20111005_165334.jpg

Nano Yellow Sea Whip

IMG_20111005_165417.jpg

Never before seen left side of tank, or is it right side? Broken powerhead, GSP growing under the shelf rock, going to be moving that coralline covered rock.

IMG_20111005_165444.jpg

Other side of tank, monster Palys, both sides are stupid right now.

IMG_20111005_165537.jpg

Archived