inTank Media Baskets

The Pod Farm

altolamprologus

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
I have RN oyster feast on hand, but no phyto. Will that do for amphipods?

You can feed amphipods flakes, pellets, frozen food, just about anything, but I don't think they would eat oysterfeast. They scavenge food rather than filter feed like copepods do.

You can feed amphipods flakes, pellets, frozen food, just about anything, but I don't think they would eat oysterfeast. They scavenge food rather than filter feed like copepods do.

That's great! Now all I need are some amphipods and the. I'll have a culture I guess! :)

altolamprologus

I got a mandarin on wednesday and started feeding it from the pod cultures(as well as frozen food). I hope these cultures last!!

This is a great write up. I am going to do something similiar soon except in a 5 gallon bucket with an air pump and a nano-glo light. I have 2 ORA mandarins that take frozen and are very healthy but I want to provide them an alternative food source / entertainment. I think it is good form them to hunt for there food. Also for deitrus consumption.

My mandarins dominated my tanks pods. I haven't seen a pod for a while

When you collect the pods and introduce them in your tank, are you just going to dump the contents of the jars through a coffee filter and then dip it in your tank at night?

altolamprologus
hey what did you got a male or a female?

I got a female. I figured it would be better since females stay a bit smaller than males and are suppoively easier to train onto frozen food.

This is a great write up. I am going to do something similiar soon except in a 5 gallon bucket with an air pump and a nano-glo light. I have 2 ORA mandarins that take frozen and are very healthy but I want to provide them an alternative food source / entertainment. I think it is good form them to hunt for there food. Also for deitrus consumption.

My mandarins dominated my tanks pods. I haven't seen a pod for a while

When you collect the pods and introduce them in your tank, are you just going to dump the contents of the jars through a coffee filter and then dip it in your tank at night?

I have a 5ml pipette that I use to collect the pods and I just put them water and all into the tank. Tigger pods don't have the instinct to hide in the rocks so if you put them in the tank at night, they'll just get sucked up into the filter so I put them in during the day when I feed my corals because I turn off the filter.

altolamprologus

Just a small update:

The white pod cultures have been declining for a couple weeks. It seemed like every time I looked at them there were less and less pods in it. Well, today I'm declaring it official the cultures crashed. The macro algae is still alive, but I can't find a single pod.

On the bright side, I'm experiencing a huge population bloom in the tigger pod cultures. I have hundreds of new adults as well as thousands of sub-adults. My mandarin and clown are having a lot of fun chasing them down :)

That stinks about the white copepods :( Any idea why they crashed? Life span maybe?

If you ever want to start those up again, you know where you can get more! ;)

altolamprologus
That stinks about the white copepods :( Any idea why they crashed? Life span maybe?

If you ever want to start those up again, you know where you can get more! ;)

I have no idea why. Thanks for the offer, but I probably won't start those up again. I like the tigger pods better because they breed so fast.

altolamprologus

So I had an idea today. Maybe I was going about the white pod cultures wrong? I remember I read somewhere that some pods require a substrate for part of their life cycle. So maybe the pods I had needed sand or something other than a bare bottom to successfully breed.

Anyway, I decided I'm going to start those cultures up again, this time with sand and live rock and see if that makes a difference.

Rabidgerbil38

I think that would be a good idea, with the rock and sand. I was thinking of doing this with amphipods since my tank is crawling with them.

I just started a tiger pod jar inspired by your sweet little setup, and am going to start some reef-pod cultures (using bare botton and substrate and rock) as soon as my Petco gets them in stock again. I'll let you know how that goes to add to your nice little write up going on here.

altolamprologus
I think that would be a good idea, with the rock and sand. I was thinking of doing this with amphipods since my tank is crawling with them.

I just started a tiger pod jar inspired by your sweet little setup, and am going to start some reef-pod cultures (using bare botton and substrate and rock) as soon as my Petco gets them in stock again. I'll let you know how that goes to add to your nice little write up going on here.

I'm glad to know I inspired you. And I would definitely appreciate you posting your experiences here so everyone can learn from them :D

how is your mandarin on the 29 doing? I have a BC29 and I seed my tank with copepods about 2-3 months ago, for some time I can see them on the wall, then their desapear, and on top of that my exroomate spray an insect bomb with out telling me, >=@ and all my inverts die, (RIP my harlequin, cleaner and 2 sexies =...( ) after that never sow a copepod again until last week or 2, their hanging out in the glass and multiplying, my goal is to have a mandarin, have you train yours into frozzen? how is her doing? do you need to add any air in the jar?

So I had an idea today. Maybe I was going about the white pod cultures wrong? I remember I read somewhere that some pods require a substrate for part of their life cycle. So maybe the pods I had needed sand or something other than a bare bottom to successfully breed.

Anyway, I decided I'm going to start those cultures up again, this time with sand and live rock and see if that makes a difference.

Interesting, definitely want to see if this helps :)

I'm guessing you still need some starters? Or do you have enough in your tank?

Not at the moment. I'm very picky about what I want my mandarin to look like (more on the blue side rather than green) and I haven't yet found the perfect one. However, this does allow the cultures more time to grow.

I am with you on that!

altolamprologus
how is your mandarin on the 29 doing? I have a BC29 and I seed my tank with copepods about 2-3 months ago, for some time I can see them on the wall, then their desapear, and on top of that my exroomate spray an insect bomb with out telling me, >=@ and all my inverts die, (RIP my harlequin, cleaner and 2 sexies =...( ) after that never sow a copepod again until last week or 2, their hanging out in the glass and multiplying, my goal is to have a mandarin, have you train yours into frozzen? how is her doing? do you need to add any air in the jar?

My mandarin is doing great :) I trained her onto frozen brine, mysis and flakes in a little over a week(though you shouldn't expect your mandarin to train this fast). I've been keeping a close eye on the pod population in my tank and although it's probably too early to tell, it looks like it's staying pretty stable and my twice a day feedings are keeping her full and happy.

I don't add any air to the jars, I simply keep the lids open a littl;e bit. Since they are so small and I have macro algae in them, there is enough gas exchange.

Interesting, definitely want to see if this helps :)

I'm guessing you still need some starters? Or do you have enough in your tank?

I will be taking some from my tank, but I would love some from yours to get the cultures off to a better start.

sorry bout the crash dude. this is awesome and i'm going to try this out!!!

I'm not too bummed about the crash because it was a learning experience. You can;t learn anything without failing a few times :D

altolamprologus

Here's the re-started white pod culture:

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

Here's the population explosion in one of the tiger pod cultures. Based on a comparison between the amount of pods in there when I started(2,000-4,000 according to the label) and the amount of pods now, I would estimate there about 10,000 tiggerpods in here.

IMG_1826.jpg

Archived