SaltCritters.com

The Pod Farm

altolamprologus

altolamprologus
Alto I have a lot of tiny white pods in my fuge, are those good for culturing in a 1 gallon setup? Those would be detrivores right?

Actually they look like tiny white pill bugs...not copepods?

They are most likely detritivores, but with the vast number of species of copepods that can hitch hike in to tanks, it's hard to say for sure if they will breed fast enough for culture. Try it and see how it goes.

Pill bug looking pods are likely isopods.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
Still good for mandys?

Yep! I wouldn't use them for the sole source of food, but for supplementing, they should be ok. I'm not sure they'll breed fast enough though.

Ok, so looked in my fuge, I have white copepods, and white isopods. Also have big brown amphipods. Cultured, will be enough live food in addition to the frozen?

Will an emerald crab eat pods if in a fuge?

altolamprologus
Ok, so looked in my fuge, I have white copepods, and white isopods. Also have big brown amphipods. Cultured, will be enough live food in addition to the frozen?

Will an emerald crab eat pods if in a fuge?

If you spot feed the mandarin at least once a day (and ensure he gets several mouthfuls) it should be enough. You can always order extra pods if you find he's getting skinny.

I don't have first hand experience with emerald crabs, but seeing as they're mainly algaevores, I'd say he probably won't.

altolamprologus
thanks

would a mandarin and a sixline in my tank be too much? or does it not matter?

Doesn't matter as long as the mandarin is eating frozen every day and you have good pod cultures. I would say wait until you make sure your mandarin is eating well and in good condition before getting the 6 line

• 2 months later...
altolamprologus
I just started my Tisbe farm today. Here's hoping for the best.

Good luck! They shouldn't cause you too much trouble. I just shipped some and even though they spent 4 days in the mail, they were alive and perky when they arrived. Tough sonsab!tches

How did you set up your culture? Two-liter soda bottles and some flake food are working the best for me right now

I've got them in a 2 gallon glass tank but the water is only about 1/2 gallon right now, mixing up some more. I did put in live phyto and also 3-4 1mm pellets. I won't add any more 'food' till i know they're multiplying and/eating.

I have an air tube in there but will run it once I add more water. Also have some macros in the water and some of my live sand.

altolamprologus
I've got them in a 2 gallon glass tank but the water is only about 1/2 gallon right now, mixing up some more. I did put in live phyto and also 3-4 1mm pellets. I won't add any more 'food' till i know they're multiplying and/eating.

I have an air tube in there but will run it once I add more water. Also have some macros in the water and some of my live sand.

Sounds good, but I wouldn't bother with the airline. I discovered they prefer still water in cultures. And for food, don't add anymore until all the food has turned into unrecognizable detritus. I found out the hard way that over feeding crashes the culture.

I just started my Tisbe farm today. Here's hoping for the best.

Oh, goody! Kat, you gotta share the Tisbes!

Um, I can't remember which animal I was going to feed them to, but it was someone . . . :blink:

:D You still have to get a green clown goby although I vote for a yellow clown goby to add a POP of color to your tank.

Yes! It was the green clown goby. You're right, I still have to get one. Been kinda distracted so far this year (family member in hospital), and new tank aquisitions just fell off the radar.

But now Kat's club is providing a discount, and Kat has Tisbe's, that's what I call motivation! :)

This morning the pod culture was visibly a lighter green. Last night when I stalked the culture I saw little critters yay.

So I added a few drops of live phyto. Maybe I'll add some more pellets later.

Question: I have 3 dwarf ceriths in there they were probably in the sand that I transferred from my DT. I should remove them right, they're eating the detritus that the pods like?

altolamprologus
This morning the pod culture was visibly a lighter green. Last night when I stalked the culture I saw little critters yay.

So I added a few drops of live phyto. Maybe I'll add some more pellets later.

Question: I have 3 dwarf ceriths in there they were probably in the sand that I transferred from my DT. I should remove them right, they're eating the detritus that the pods like?

They will eat algae, not detritus. You're also going to want to remove the sand. Bare bottom makes 100% water changes and harvesting much easier.

Who were your intial culture sources?

Are there vendor sources for the tisbe and tiggers? Tisbe - Livequarai and Tiggers - Reef Nutrition? Would these work?

Do you provide and ship?

altolamprologus
Who were your intial culture sources?

Are there vendor sources for the tisbe and tiggers? Tisbe - Livequarai and Tiggers - Reef Nutrition? Would these work?

Do you provide and ship?

PM sent

altolamprologus
When is a water change needed?

And what determines harvest time?

I do water changes about once a month, but I keep my tisbes at a high concentration. You shouldn't need to do any water changes for a couple months. Basically it's time to do a water change when you start getting a lot of detritus buildup at the bottom.

You can harvest them whenever you want. I would do the first one about 5 weeks after the culture was started then you can harvest whenever you want after that. It's impossible to overharvest tisbes, but if you harvest a lot at once, they have a longer recovery time.

Alto, these Tisbe guys are really tiny. What are the pods that are proliferating all over my pico without any help from me? They look way bigger than these Tisbe dudes. Would a mandy eat those other ones I have?

altolamprologus
Alto, these Tisbe guys are really tiny. What are the pods that are proliferating all over my pico without any help from me? They look way bigger than these Tisbe dudes. Would a mandy eat those other ones I have?

It's impossible to know what species they are unfortunately. Tisbes can get kinda big when they reach the end of their life cycle. Just wait until you start seeing some big females with eggs. A mandarin will eat any benthic species and some pelagic ones if the pumps are off. If you have excess pods in your pico, go ahead and siphon them out and feed them to your mandy!

Blennylover14

I plan on setting up a 2 gallon glass tank with just saltwater. Is that all I need ? No light? Just saltwater and crushed food??

Also how will I take the pods out to put in my DIsplay tank?

Archived