Innovative Marine Aquariums

South Florida fish store reviews

keydiver

Hi everybody, since it hasn;t been done before, I would like to compile all of the aquarium stores in Miami, and a couple in other places. I have been to most down here, but feel free to add ones that I am missing. This is intended to be a guide for people looking for quality livestock and equipment.

Reef Tech:

(305) 251-3224

14445 S Dixie Hwy

Miami, FL 33176

Review::

They have a very nice selection of livestock, though it is more cramped then I would like. They usually do not have the best selection of inverts. The freshwater section is ok, though it has been improving more and more. The guys there are really cool, very nice and helpful. They do not try to sell you stuff that you don't need. I'd give it a 4 out of 5

House of fins:

(786) 293-3474

14321 S Dixie Hwy

Miami, FL 33176

review:

VERY large selection of livestock, particularly corals and inverts. They get all kinds of odd inverts in all the time, which I like. Their fish are usually quite healthy, and I know they do not use cyanide caught fish because I am good friends with the owner. Very nice displays, and they have a nice selection for FOWLR tanks. The employees are sub-par. A few of the guys know what they are doing, and a few do not. They will give you false information from time to time. Overall, I give them a 3.5 out of 5

Exotic aquariums

(305) 266-0978

7399 Bird Rd

Miami, FL 33155

Review

This is one of the best stores I have been to thus far. They always have a unique selection of inverts and fish. Pretty large store. If you are also interested in FW and/or ponds, this is the place to go. The prices usually cannot be beat. They have a huge selection of dry goods as well. The only I do not like is the staff. They know what they're doing, but most of the guys in there are pretty hostile. They speak to you like you're a retard. Only one of the guys was extremely helpful and capable of holding an intelligent conversation. Overall, I give it a 4 out of 5, because if you know what you're looking for, you will most likely find it here.

VIP reefs

(305) 278-7777

16300 SW 137TH AVE

MIAMI, FL 33177

Review:

All I can say is WOW. This place is horribly advertised, the only way you would know it's there is if you got the quick glimpse of the sign passing it, which is by tamiami in the warehouse district. You walk through a sketchy door with no windows to find a BEAUTIFUL store. Most of the tanks are decked out with LEDs, starfire and rimless. There is not ONE speck of algae anywhere. It has tons of acan colonies and sps frags. They have beautiful stuff, and a whole section for FW, as well as a small section for vivariums/terrariums. The prices are awesome, and the only guy who works in there is very helpful. I was extremely impressed by this store, so I gave it a 5 out of 5

Reeftop aquariums

(305) 234-0868

13250 SW 87th Ave

Miami, FL 33176

Review:

This store was fairly unimpressive. The staff was helpful, but really had no idea what they were doing. The selection was average, they stock the usual fish. They had bryopsis on the majority of their stuff. The only part that impressed me was the clownfish and anemone section, as well as the discus display at the front. I would avoid this store if possible, but you may find some hidden treasure if you're lucky. I give it a 2.5 of out of 5

Reef Gardener:

Morgan Mok's primarily online business. Let me just say that this is one of the few places I will buy my livestock. Her selection and quality cannot be beat. She has extremely impressive collections of zoas and sps. Her prices are very fair. I give her a 5 out of 5, sine I don;t have to pay for shipping, I love her stuff. It is beautiful every time.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthFlorida_Tron

If you want to add Fort Lauderdale....

Eco Reef Aquarium Inc

954-784-3588

2740 East Atlantic BLVD

Pompano Beach, FL 33062

My Review:

Huge variety of livestock. Small store but one of the best (and few) in Lauderdale to offer finest SPS corals...first to use LeDs on their displays out of the stores I've seen. 5/5 for friendliness, quality, & integrity.

The Reef Zone

954-583-7829

6959 West Broward BLVD

Plantation, FL 33317

My Review:

Super friendly knowledgable staff, clean organized store with huge selection of anything fish and reef related...off variety of dry products as well. A big tip, every holiday they run sales like 10-15% off on July 4th weekend (the most recent)

5/5

Strictly Fish

(305) 227-9414

8373 SW 40th Street

Miami, Fl 33155

Small store worked by a father/son duo just west of Exotic Aquariums. Excellent selection with very healthy fish. Some of the best live rock I've ever seen in all of the stores I've visited, theirs actually has life on it, which I can't say the same for all of the other stores I've visited, some already mentioned. Very knowledgeable staff. Five out of Five

VIP reefs

(305) 278-7777

16300 SW 137TH AVE

MIAMI, FL 33177

I'll have to disagree a little. While they do have an excellent selection of healthy fish (Also one of the few stores to actually have Mantis Shrimp for sale!) it seems that they aren't as knowledgeable as I'd hope. But maybe that was a fluke situation. All things considered I'd have to give it a four out of five. Though I will say this, any livestock I've bought from them is still alive and kicking. (swimming)

Reef Smart Aquariums

(305)752-3511

11735 SW 147 AVE Suite 29

Miami, FL 33196

This store just opened up about two months ago, I have the luxury of living just down the street from it and I decided to take a quick look. I was incredibly impressed. Beautiful displays and some of the healthiest frags and corals I have ever seen. They're just starting out so not much to say as far as fish livestock, but they're getting the feel for it and will happily next day order whatever you request. Prices are great and I in fact intend on going there tomorrow and picking up a few of the beautiful corals I saw there. Not many SPS corals though, primarily LPS and softies. Highly recommended, the owner knows her stuff. Five out of Five.

Exotic aquariums

(305) 266-0978

7399 Bird Rd

Miami, FL 33155

I'll have to say that the previous review of Exotic Aquariums was spot on. Great place, great prices, great stuff, somewhat arrogant staff. I will say this, they're one of the most visited aquarium places in Miami, almost everyone says to go there if you need anything fish related, so they probably have to deal with a lot of people that simply want to drop tons of money on fish with none of the research, and thus probably have to spend a lot of time hearing people complain about why their "Dory" fish won't fit in a 10 gallon. Or why their "nemo" and its corresponding anemone died. Sometimes if you break it down to simplest terms people listen better, and I think that's probably a good compromise to prevent the unnecessary death of otherwise healthy fish. So, four out of five.

Aquarium Depot

(305) 596-3373

11760 Southwest 88th Street,

Miami, FL

I really don't like to give bad reviews, but I will say this: the store comes off as very lacking. I have no doubt that the staff know what they're talking about, but quite simply, the fish, corals, and everything else just do not look healthy. I've tried to give the store several chances but every time I walk in everything looks just so sickly. And I just can't stand the fact that half of their displays are occupied by Mandarins, which will probably just be bought by people who really don't understand how to care for them, but then again that may just be my small PETA side kicking in. Though on a completely unrelated note: good luck finding a parking spot there! ;) This hurts but: Three out of Five

Remember to take everything with a grain of salt, your experience with any of these stores might be completely different!

This is absolutely great. I'm gonna hit some of the ones I haven't been to tomorrow!

Noice. I figured it would help some people out.

• 2 weeks later...

You guy's HAVE to check out Blue Sea's Aquariums...I work there now since I had been shopping there for awhile and they have BY FAR the BEST coral selection of anyplace I have seen, The corals are about as healthy as you could ever imagine, they have tons of frags for the guys with smaller tanks as well as large pieces for guys that can fit them, SERIOUSLY GO CHECK THEM OUT

Thye are on the south east corner of sunrise blvd and university drive in the plaza where denny's is at and we are located between ofra day spa and japan in...I work monday through thursay from 12-6 so come in and ask for me "mike" and I will help you out and get you the best prices I can on any corals or inverts or fish you need

The first time I walked in this place I had to change my underwear because the coral selection was so incredible, It's a fairly small store but we have a TON of coral

The number is 954-452-4006

If I am not there ask for jeremy and tell him I sent you in, I assure you that you will fall IN LOVE

SouthFlorida_Tron

Not one of my favorites... To be honest, maybe it was a bad day, but the corals were over priced (to the 4 other stores I went to) and a lot of Frags were half dead. Again, IMO......

:P

Not one of my favorites... To be honest, maybe it was a bad day, but the corals were over priced (to the 4 other stores I went to) and a lot of Frags were half dead. Again, IMO......

:P

How long ago were you in there because now EVERY coral inthe store is about the healthiest you will find anywhere, Some prices may be priced higher than YOU may think but you have to remember we also have corals that NOBODY else local has, beautiful acan colonies, acan frags, eagle eye zoas, neon green and red scolymias and thats just to name a few

Give the store a second chance I assure you that you will be amazed at the coral selection we have in the store right now for instance, half the time my boss says stop looking at the corals lo...I tell him I apologize I just cant keep my eyes off of them

Great thread, here is my addtion

Reef Aquariums of Miami

7455 Southwest 40th Street, Miami, FL 33155

(305) 262-3474 ‎

Review:

Its about 1/2 block from exotic aquariums on the way to strictly fish. They have no fish, some cool inverts from time to time. Their specialty is coral, and by far have the nicest selection oh high end corals i have seen(mostly aussie stuff), with prices to match. However lots of great frags at good prices. Staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. Easy to hit up when doing the other fish stores on bird road.

Five out of Five

Reef Aquariums of Miami

(305) 262-3474 ‎

Review:

Its about 1/2 block from exotic aquariums on the way to strictly fish. They have no fish, some cool inverts from time to time. Their specialty is coral, and by far have the nicest selection oh high end corals i have seen(mostly aussie stuff), with prices to match. However lots of great frags at good prices. Staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. Easy to hit up when doing the other fish stores on bird road.

Five out of Five

These guys have an awesome setup, I forgot to add them also. The specialize in custom cabinetry and tanks, if you're looking for a sweet custom, they're the place to go. They have one display tank with led's that's a highly polished, beautiful overflow tank. I would stop by to check out that tank alone!

Thanks for the inputs everybody, feel free to add any more

Lee Van Reef
These guys have an awesome setup, I forgot to add them also. The specialize in custom cabinetry and tanks, if you're looking for a sweet custom, they're the place to go. They have one display tank with led's that's a highly polished, beautiful overflow tank. I would stop by to check out that tank alone!

Thanks for the inputs everybody, feel free to add any more

Yea the owner, Henry, is a super nice guy and is always willing to help. Also, he doesn't try to sell you expensive equipment you don't need, he is honest and has pretty fair prices.

Reef Aquariums of Miami

(305) 262-3474 ‎

Review:

Five out of Five

I ended up helping Henry install a few custom tanks a WHILE back. He is a class act. The only guy I would get corals from when he was across the street from his current location. Ask him how much he's selling the store. (joke that has been ongoing for 5+ years now)

Strickly is really good as well. Straight talking guys. They have a great display tank as well.

So, does anyone know anywhere locally that has any dry rock?

hmmm maybe check with Morgan at reefgardener. Also try house of Fins, I remember seeing some there a while back.

• 3 weeks later...
So, does anyone know anywhere locally that has any dry rock?

Havent found anyone in MIami, a few in broward or the keys.

how much are you looking for? I have some left over from my recent reefcleaners order.

Lee Van Reef

Yea, I couldn'tfl find anyone either lol. I just moved to fort myers and the places here all have dry rock and amazing prices on coral. Lol 20 bucks for a huge acro colony is awesome.

Lee Van Reef
$20 for an acro colony, alive or dead?? Lol I'll drive there!

Very Alive. It wasn't any big name frag like ORA but it was still pretty sweet. The ORA ones were still pretty high, but everything else was dirt cheap.

• 4 months later...

reef tech went out of business there one day gone the next.

reef aquariums of miami has a great selection of stuff

house of fins has a large variety, but so many of the fish looked sick when i went. not sure if it was just a bad shipment or what

I agree on Exotic completely, the help there is very arrogant. i was inquiring about purchasing a red sea max and they did not seem the least bit interested in helping me. i am checking out local stores on your list and i will add my experience as well. Thanks for this post very helpful

Hi everybody, since it hasn;t been done before, I would like to compile all of the aquarium stores in Miami, and a couple in other places. I have been to most down here, but feel free to add ones that I am missing. This is intended to be a guide for people looking for quality livestock and equipment.

Reef Tech:

(305) 251-3224

14445 S Dixie Hwy

Miami, FL 33176

Review::

They have a very nice selection of livestock, though it is more cramped then I would like. They usually do not have the best selection of inverts. The freshwater section is ok, though it has been improving more and more. The guys there are really cool, very nice and helpful. They do not try to sell you stuff that you don't need. I'd give it a 4 out of 5

House of fins:

(786) 293-3474

14321 S Dixie Hwy

Miami, FL 33176

review:

VERY large selection of livestock, particularly corals and inverts. They get all kinds of odd inverts in all the time, which I like. Their fish are usually quite healthy, and I know they do not use cyanide caught fish because I am good friends with the owner. Very nice displays, and they have a nice selection for FOWLR tanks. The employees are sub-par. A few of the guys know what they are doing, and a few do not. They will give you false information from time to time. Overall, I give them a 3.5 out of 5

Exotic aquariums

(305) 266-0978

7399 Bird Rd

Miami, FL 33155

Review

This is one of the best stores I have been to thus far. They always have a unique selection of inverts and fish. Pretty large store. If you are also interested in FW and/or ponds, this is the place to go. The prices usually cannot be beat. They have a huge selection of dry goods as well. The only I do not like is the staff. They know what they're doing, but most of the guys in there are pretty hostile. They speak to you like you're a retard. Only one of the guys was extremely helpful and capable of holding an intelligent conversation. Overall, I give it a 4 out of 5, because if you know what you're looking for, you will most likely find it here.

VIP reefs

(305) 278-7777

16300 SW 137TH AVE

MIAMI, FL 33177

Review:

All I can say is WOW. This place is horribly advertised, the only way you would know it's there is if you got the quick glimpse of the sign passing it, which is by tamiami in the warehouse district. You walk through a sketchy door with no windows to find a BEAUTIFUL store. Most of the tanks are decked out with LEDs, starfire and rimless. There is not ONE speck of algae anywhere. It has tons of acan colonies and sps frags. They have beautiful stuff, and a whole section for FW, as well as a small section for vivariums/terrariums. The prices are awesome, and the only guy who works in there is very helpful. I was extremely impressed by this store, so I gave it a 5 out of 5

Reeftop aquariums

(305) 234-0868

13250 SW 87th Ave

Miami, FL 33176

Review:

This store was fairly unimpressive. The staff was helpful, but really had no idea what they were doing. The selection was average, they stock the usual fish. They had bryopsis on the majority of their stuff. The only part that impressed me was the clownfish and anemone section, as well as the discus display at the front. I would avoid this store if possible, but you may find some hidden treasure if you're lucky. I give it a 2.5 of out of 5

Reef Gardener:

Morgan Mok's primarily online business. Let me just say that this is one of the few places I will buy my livestock. Her selection and quality cannot be beat. She has extremely impressive collections of zoas and sps. Her prices are very fair. I give her a 5 out of 5, sine I don;t have to pay for shipping, I love her stuff. It is beautiful every time.

reef tech went out of business there one day gone the next.

reef aquariums of miami has a great selection of stuff

house of fins has a large variety, but so many of the fish looked sick when i went. not sure if it was just a bad shipment or what

I agree on Exotic completely, the help there is very arrogant. i was inquiring about purchasing a red sea max and they did not seem the least bit interested in helping me. i am checking out local stores on your list and i will add my experience as well. Thanks for this post very helpful

Yeah, shame that reef tech went out of business. I have no idea what happened. I went there one day and it was just completely empty. Haven't heard from fabian either, they hay have reverted back to the wholesale sector.

If no one minds I'll pipe in with the couple of places I've been to.

All Fish Emporium:

Allfish Emporium: 6820 N. University Drive Tamarac, Florida 33321

Phone: 954-722-FISH (3474) Fax: 954-861-4299 Email: customercare@allfishemporium.com

Review

The nicest looking fish store I've ever been to. They're entire store was setup by Living Colors. These are the same guys who made discovery cove for sea world and typhoon lagoon for disney. The store is divided into two parts: dry goods, and live stock. You enter into the dry goods section of the store. One thing to take note of is that they are VERY competetivly priced since they're such a large store. Next you walk through a tunnel with a giant freshwater tank on the left and a equally large salt tank on the right. In the center of this area of the store is a huge saltwater tank with nurse sharks, blacktips, and morays. The staff is helpfull and knowledgable. One thing to note is they're coral supply is limited to small frags, and most of them are overpriced. But if you want fish at a good price this is where you should go.

Living Reef Aquarium

4824 N. Dixie Hwy, Oakland Park, Fl 33334

954-579-2785

Review

I've only been in the store once. It's a very simple and clean layout. The one thing to note is they almost exclusivly sell corals. And these were some healthy looking corals. Not a single stressed looking critter in the shop. What really sold the shop to me was the multiple happy looking carpet anemonies in one of their tanks. One of them even had a snowflake clown as a host. It was cool as heck!

Hope this helps those in the Fort Lauderdale Area!

Archived