8866 replies to this topic

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC

Nice! (not the aiptasia the the Yuma giving you babies)

I love that pic of the hermit, looks like a good place to nap though! :P

Felicia

Felicia

NorCal Diver

• Premium Members
  • 6,565 posts
  • Joined 05 Sep 2011
  • Berkeley, CA
Just wanted to tell you your tank looks great! Being as my tank is so new, its nice to see how far your tank has come in a pretty short amount of time. I'm anxious for my new coral frags to start growing and filling in my tank. And I love the mbuna cichlid tank as well, since my other aquarium is a 37 tall mbuna cichlid tank. :D

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Thanks man, what kind of mbuna do you have? Do you have any aggression issue with a tall tank?

Really the best advice I would have since our tanks are very similar, don't mess with your placement too much, just let them get use to their spots B)

Dosing iodine really gets a response too.

Nice! (not the aiptasia the the Yuma giving you babies)

I love that pic of the hermit, looks like a good place to nap though! :P

Haha yeah, that's probably where I'd nap too if I was a hermit. That or in the green palys. :P

I hope my Yumabeebs grow fast. fingerscrossed

Posted Image

Felicia

Felicia

NorCal Diver

• Premium Members
  • 6,565 posts
  • Joined 05 Sep 2011
  • Berkeley, CA

Thanks man, what kind of mbuna do you have? Do you have any aggression issue with a tall tank?

Really the best advice I would have since our tanks are very similar, don't mess with your placement too much, just let them get use to their spots B)

Dosing iodine really gets a response too.

I have a pretty good mix of cichlids. There are 11 cichlids total and only 2 of the same species. Here's what I have:
1 Placidochromis Milomo
1 Red Zebra
1 Strawberry Peacock
2 Electric Yellow Mbuna
1 Blue Kenyi
1 Bumblebee Mbuna
1 Pseudotropheus Elongatus
1 Snow White Zebra
1 OB Pseudotropheus Zebra
1 Unknown
1 Plecostomus

I didn't buy the 37 tall for cichlids originally. I used to keep fancy goldfish, and it was perfect for them so they'd have lots of space to swim along the top without running into the decor. I really love the height of the tank though, so when I decided to switch to cichlids I figured it would work fine.

I had a bit of aggression early on in getting the tank set up, but I returned the fish I had issues with and I seem to have a good balance set up now. The tank has been up and running for a little over a year (I moved the tank from Florida to California last August so I had to start all over), and the fish seem to have reached a balance about 4-5 months ago. They'll nip at each other every once in a while, but nothing major.

As for the reef tank, I just superglued all the coral frags down today and they seem pretty happy in their spots so far. All of them have opened up nicely, so I'm just going to leave them and wait for growth. Do you have any recommendations for dosing the iodine or any other elements? I had heard not to dose at all if you don't test for what you're dosing since you can overdose. I only have a test kit for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates currently. The guy I bought the frags from recommended dosing with kalkwasser. Do you use that at all?

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
You should get a test for phosphate, calc, and dkh in the future, it's not an emergency or anything and I'm sure you're already planning to but those are useful tests to have.

The decision to dose something that I can't test for was pretty simple for me, I had read across a number of places that all soft coral benefit from iodine and that is all the coral I have. I started out underdosing and worked my way up from there. And I can say that it really did help.

From my understand of kalk, it's more beneficial in top off water when you cut down doing water changes. I will start doing kalk when I upgrade. I'm hoping with the skimmer to get away with monthly water changes.

Posted Image

Nanny

Nanny

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 24 Sep 2011

One aiptasia survived my murder spree yesterday... :angry:

Posted Image

But on to better news, the Yuma has left some tissue behind after his move and I am positive I have 3 babies forming. It could be 4 if it splits right

Posted Image

And I swear, this hermit is the laziest SOB I've ever seen, he's been right there all day.

Posted Image

I even poked him to make sure he was alive. He is, just taking a personal day I suppose. :rolleyes:

What is the coral with the snail in it? Awesome looking!

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
They are the Green Star Polyps B) see why I recommended them to you? They are practically impossible to kill too.

Posted Image

Woogalie

Woogalie

Juggys FTW

• Members
  • 820 posts
  • Joined 26 Jul 2011
  • West Covina, CA.
Joel, will need to bribe you for a baby Yuma. I was impressed to see it moving and leaving tissue behind. So cool man!!! Yes!!!

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,450 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin
Off topic but I also heart mbuna :)

I have an 80 gallon bow with mbuna and a few peacocks.

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati

Joel, will need to bribe you for a baby Yuma. I was impressed to see it moving and leaving tissue behind. So cool man!!! Yes!!!

You want a baby Yuma? You got it. B) for the upgrade I'll be busting up a few pieces of LR and it would be no problem to add this one to the list. Just foot the shipping, I could easily ship it in a small flat rate priorty box which is like $5. I said this earlier in the thread but I've shipped a bunch of cichlids with only one DOA. Or if by the time the frag is ready you got something like a red zoa, or other badass coral you can give me a small frag of we can just trade shipping costs.

It's still moving, about 2" in 3 days so far, I'm hoping to see some more heads sprout before he settles. In fact, I'm really considering putting him back in high flow to make him move even more :lol:

Off topic but I also heart mbuna :)

I have an 80 gallon bow with mbuna and a few peacocks.

Mbuna are sweet :) I like haps and peacocks a lot but mbuna and tropheus are my favorites. I'd like to turn the 75 into either a demasoni/rusty/lab tank or a species only tropheus sp. Ilangi tank. I would have tropheus now but I can't easily change the water and my understand is they need something like 50% weekly.

Got a picture or thread I can gander? Is it like flsvedlund or are you keeping breeding groups like me?

Posted Image

Felicia

Felicia

NorCal Diver

• Premium Members
  • 6,565 posts
  • Joined 05 Sep 2011
  • Berkeley, CA

You should get a test for phosphate, calc, and dkh in the future, it's not an emergency or anything and I'm sure you're already planning to but those are useful tests to have.

The decision to dose something that I can't test for was pretty simple for me, I had read across a number of places that all soft coral benefit from iodine and that is all the coral I have. I started out underdosing and worked my way up from there. And I can say that it really did help.

From my understand of kalk, it's more beneficial in top off water when you cut down doing water changes. I will start doing kalk when I upgrade. I'm hoping with the skimmer to get away with monthly water changes.

Thanks for the advice. Dosing with iodine sounds like it may be a good idea since I want to get my corals growing. And yeah, I know I need to get tests for those...I realize something I need to buy for this tank like every day and I'm gradually buying everything.

Paigee

Paigee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 24 Jun 2011
  • Vancouver, Canada
What you use to slay aiptasia? I has one :(

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati

Thanks for the advice. Dosing with iodine sounds like it may be a good idea since I want to get my corals growing. And yeah, I know I need to get tests for those...I realize something I need to buy for this tank like every day and I'm gradually buying everything.

No problem B) Trust me, even if you set out and made a list of everything you need, posted it asking for what else you needed, then ordered everything everyone suggested... You'd realize you didn't order everything you needed the next day :lol:

What you use to slay aiptasia? I has one :(

Oh noes! :( I use white vinegar and an insulin needle. My dogs diabetic so I have a steady supply of clean syringes. What you go to do is try to stab it through the head and then slowly inject, keeping with it as it retreats back into it's hole.

Posted Image

Nanny

Nanny

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 24 Sep 2011
The video and your tank are great! Love the yellow tail! Hoping I can find one like that. It's a beauty! Thanks for your help and advice!

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Thanks, finding a YTD like that shouldn't be too hard, honestly, I didn't even pick it. I just asked for one of the YTD's :lol: happy fish are pretty fish and if you are keeping them happy their colors with get brighter and more intense. Feeding a food that contains brine shrimp also helps improve color.

And no problem, that's one of the reasons forums exist B)

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Just realized there's no pictures on this page yet...

So here's a picture of a baby mushie I found a few days ago on the other side of the tank as the colony it came from.

Posted Image

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Does anybody have a good suggestion for a larger, reef safe fish? Or one that is not usually seen in tanks?

I've been looking at assessors and really like what I'm seeing. Just seeing what ideas other people might have.

Also, I just realized that my lights are getting delivered today B)

Posted Image

pismo_reefer

pismo_reefer

[Ugly Duckling Smokers.]

• Premium Members
  • 10,729 posts
  • Joined 23 Aug 2008
  • Sacramento, Ca.
omgomgomg Sweeet!!!!!

Nice Mush-bebby... B)
*clickety*
c6d71bff60541bb66816ff699c91f636.jpg

Lee Van Reef

Lee Van Reef

We come to it, at last. The great battle of our time.

• Members
  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined 09 Jul 2010
  • Miami, FL

Also, I just realized that my lights are getting delivered today B)

Post some pics of the new lights! B)

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Posted Image

Posted Image

Post some pics of the new lights! B)

Will do B)

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
I'm not trying to be a tease but tonight is one of my work out nights and I have to do that. I set it up for a few before/after comparison shots on my 20 and all I can say is wow. :o

I will put up some pictures in a few... I wish I had a dslr to get the proper color of what I'm seeing. Love the shimmer, love the everything. Best purchase of my fish keeping career so far.

Seeing double?

Posted Image

B)

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
T5

Posted Image

LED

Posted Image

The spread isn't fair because I have it right on the glass and it's 10" shorter than the T5 but I am more than pleased with the product. About 6-8" off the water and it completely lights it up. I had no help so I couldn't hold it and shoot it but when it's on the 40 you'll have a better idea :)

I'll try to get better pictures soon, but I don't really want to use them too much before they are on the tank.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Posted Image

Here's a better picture of the packaging, these things come with a lot of stuff. Way cheaper than the AI Sol and it comes with all the accessories you need that Ai makes you pay more for :rolleyes:

Posted Image

iDream

iDream

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
  • Tally, FL
:o Are those extra/different lenses and timers!?

What a deal! omgomgomg
Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
They sure are, they are 120 degree optics to custom the spread off the ends if I need it. On top of the lenses and timers, it also comes with the hanging kit which is yet another thing not included with the Sol. :happy:

Posted Image