8866 replies to this topic

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati

I'm not trying to bump myself, I just want these pictures at the start of page 6 so viewers won't have to flip back an forth to view the pictures and the comments.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Really liked the way the paint job turned out. Now on to phase 2.

Posted Image

gena

gena

"We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle."

• Premium Members
  • 14,746 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
I'm so excited for you! Looks awesome :)

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Bought reef crystals, PVC, and a 5 gallon food grade bucket for ato, water changes, mixing water, what have you. Can never have enough buckets!

Sorry, no pictures, going stealth :ninja: I'm photographing progress and will have a huge picture dump but I want the next thing you fine people see is a finished product.

I'm going on vacation to Captiva Island, FL next week which a neighboring island to Sanibel which is the shell collecting capital of the world. I plan on finding several interesting shells, shark teeth, and other interesting things for the tank B) oh do I need some R 'n R! The best part about Capitva is (besides absolutely EVERYTHING) is the lack of people and peacefulness. Oh, and the restuarants! :lol:

Edited by JoelRHale, 14 September 2011 - 02:53 PM.

Posted Image

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
Have fun Captiva is so quiet and peaceful. We went a few times when we lived in Fort Myers.

Looks great love the black stand!

What kind of overflow box are you using?

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
This will be my 3rd time. First was before Katrina, second was a couple of years ago. I've been really pleased with it. I like it way better than the keys, but the fishing is better in the keys.

It's a hob made by Proclear Aquatics, it's rated for 700gph so it should be enough flow. I have a maxijet 1200 and ac20 I can use if I need to but I'd like to keep clutter out of the display.

Posted Image

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
Cool!

Sounds like you have it all ready to go!

Have fun, yeah there isn't any fish there in the gulf, but we did see dolphins right off the shore at Lover's Key. They followed us while we walked the beach. So cool!

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
The last time I was there I caught a huge 20lb+ snook but that's really all there is. Did a little shark fishing too. But one day of fishing off Isla Morada I pobably caught more fish in total and weight than I have in all fishing done at captiva :lol: but there's no part of captiva that smells like nasty magrove grossness.

I'm pretty excited for this project to take shape! And I've said it on your thread and I'll say it here, your tank is going to turn out awesome!

Posted Image

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC

The last time I was there I caught a huge 20lb+ snook but that's really all there is. Did a little shark fishing too. But one day of fishing off Isla Morada I pobably caught more fish in total and weight than I have in all fishing done at captiva :lol: but there's no part of captiva that smells like nasty magrove grossness.

I'm pretty excited for this project to take shape! And I've said it on your thread and I'll say it here, your tank is going to turn out awesome!

Thanks so much! It's good to hear that, you seem to have a ton of experience so thanks! :D

I love the beaches on the west coast but the water on this side is so much prettier! ;)

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
:blush: thanks for the compliment. I have a ton more experience with freshwater but luckily the general concept remains the same. As long as you continue to do what you've been doing, that is taking it slow, researching, making the best decisions based on all the information, not just what you want to hear, and taking people's opinions with a grain of salt, there's no way you can fail.

And that's true about the water, but I like the lack of waves on the west side. And sunsets over the ocean :wub: The last time we were there we had a house on the skinny stretch of the island and could watch the sunset and sunrise over the ocean. I would *not* mind retiring somewhere like that!

Edited by JoelRHale, 14 September 2011 - 05:55 PM.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Stocking List:
  • Yellowtail Damsel
  • Starry Blenny
  • Six Line Wrasse
  • Flame Angel or 2 Occ/Perc Clowns
  • 3 Green Chromis

Thoughts? Would the three Chromis be too much on the bioload? The total volume of my system will be 55-60 gallons and I'm not foreseeing too much displacement due to live rock. If the Chromis are too much but I have wiggle room for a 5th species what would you recommend? I'm not really interested in a mandarin or another wrasse. My starry is my perching fish and I would want movement.

Thanks for looking and any help you can give!

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
After a good deal of research, I have my LED choices narrowed. I have decided on led for a few key reasons: lifespan, shimmer, cost of operation, spectrum shifts with other options, and heat produced.

I like this this kit because of the price and the amount of lights I would get. Spreading these across two ~15x7" heatsinks would also, in the future, give me lights that could easily light my 75 no problem if I further upgrade. I know Rapid has a 36 led kit but I'm not sold on the whole Cree led bandwagon, if someone could explain it I would reconsider.

I am also interested in the AI Sol but it seems like I need three fixtures and $1500 is out of the question. <$1000 with everything I needed (lights, hanging kit, controller, etc.) I would consider it for what is probably one of the better lights out there. I still have time to decide so if any one has more suggestions I'll gladly hear them. Thanks for stopping by.

Edited by JoelRHale, 18 September 2011 - 06:26 AM.

Posted Image

MrBill2u

MrBill2u

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 01 Aug 2011

but I'm not sold on the whole Cree led bandwagon,

The AI Sol uses Cree LEDs. After doing my own LED build I have realised the big thing is presentation and tidying up the build. putting LEDs on heatsinks and soldering them together was the easy part. If I was starting from scratch for a 75 I would go AI Sol with 2 modules.

If you feel confident in your build skills, comfortable finishing a fixture and do not place a lot of value on the AI Sol controller, you can build your own much cheaper.

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
I know my building skills suck haha. I could make it work but it wouldn't look near as good as what I want it too. Right now I'm in contact with OCReef which is what pismo_reefer has over his tank. It's a solid light, great par, and it's almost half of what an AI Sol costs but also comes with the hanging kit and timer/controller thing. I'll probably buy two of those, cry about spending so much, then be super happy when it gets here.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought two of these.

Posted Image

I'm really happy with the customer service interaction I got, the quality of the build, the accessories included (I probably would have gone with the AI Sol but they nickel and dime you on the accessories and that's a pet peeve of mine), and the raving review that pismo_reefer gave of it and he is obviously someone who knows a thing or two about the hobby.

Posted Image

pismo_reefer

pismo_reefer

[Ugly Duckling Smokers.]

• Premium Members
  • 10,785 posts
  • Joined 23 Aug 2008
  • Sacramento, Ca.
Congrats bruddah! B)

Who's the Led-baller, now... :lol:

Dude... Yer gonna have sooooo much light, you won't know what to do with yerself.
Srsly.

Edited by pismo_reefer, 21 September 2011 - 04:41 PM.

*clickety*
c6d71bff60541bb66816ff699c91f636.jpg

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Everyday I'm shimmerin'

Posted Image

That's what I'm hoping for, T5 is the highest light I've had but I've seen MH reef's in person and just love the shimmer and intensity of coral color. I'm pretty excited to finally keep sps.

Posted Image

pismo_reefer

pismo_reefer

[Ugly Duckling Smokers.]

• Premium Members
  • 10,785 posts
  • Joined 23 Aug 2008
  • Sacramento, Ca.
Holy F###-Ballz......

{Best.Gif.EVAR!] omgomgomg
*clickety*
c6d71bff60541bb66816ff699c91f636.jpg

Squared

Squared

nano reefer

• Members
  • 12,064 posts
  • Joined 13 Feb 2010
  • SoCal

I'm not trying to bump myself, I just want these pictures at the start of page 6 so viewers won't have to flip back an forth to view the pictures and the comments.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Really liked the way the paint job turned out. Now on to phase 2.

nice tank Mr. joe

29g & NC12

Rabidgerbil38

Rabidgerbil38

The snozberries taste like snozberries..

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Joined 03 Mar 2011
  • North county SD

Posted Image

^^ This is epic!

Congratz on the lights, I just played with one of them down at my LFS and there really nice. SPS should be no problem, and your monties will pop like nobody's business with those 455's

Edited by Rabidgerbil38, 21 September 2011 - 08:51 PM.

Paigee

Paigee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 24 Jun 2011
  • Vancouver, Canada
Wow that light is amazing... I wish I had the $$$...

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati

Holy F###-Ballz......

{Best.Gif.EVAR!] omgomgomg

Yeah it's one of my favorites :D I'll be sneaking in more as we go along.

nice tank Mr. Joel**

Thanks Squared!

^^ This is epic!

Congratz on the lights, I just played with one of them down at my LFS and there really nice. SPS should be no problem, and your monties will pop like nobody's business with those 455's

Thanks bud, everything I've read says they are good lights, the PAR values at 24" blew me away, its like 600-650 and the light only has to penetrate ~14" of water in my tank so it's going to be hardcore. :lol:

Wow that light is amazing... I wish I had the $$$...

I wish I had the $$$ too! :lol: I'm pretty bummed that I've spent about a thousand dollars so far on an empty tank but I know with my 75 and my 20, it's worth it to get exactly what you want than to settle later. Plus, LEDs pay for themselves within the first two years if you factor in bulb replacement. That was the seller for me, even my cheap odyssea light will end up costing $250+ in two years and it's crap compared to led. I never went MH because they were so expensive and then required a chiller and replacement bulbs.

And here's a start of the page picture:
Posted Image

Edited by JoelRHale, 22 September 2011 - 05:04 AM.

Posted Image

gena

gena

"We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle."

• Premium Members
  • 14,746 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
Nice lights! So...when will this baby be up and running?

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati

Nice lights! So...when will this baby be up and running?

Thanks! Here are the things that need to happen before it's up and running:

• Hang lights from ceiling or get conduit bent to fit (leaning towards the latter).
  • "Construction" :ninja:
  • Half drain 20, move it (is going in the same spot).
  • Fill up the 40 with LS and base rock.
  • Over about a week's time, move the coral to the sand bed (for light acclimation) and the fish all at once, once the lr from the 20 is where I want it (probably a Saturday project).
  • Order cuc from reefcleaners, I don't want to fool with putting together my own this time. Since everyone says they get 1,000,000 snails I'll probably order a pack for a 20 gallon and hope that + what I have now will be sufficient.

I really think that's it, once my params have leveled out I will be using my $85 credit from liveaquaria and mixing that with ~$250 from my friend who I got into nano reefing for a huge SPS + whatever else is pretty order. fingerscrossed that they have a rainbow monti by that time.

Realistic (safe) prediction- by Halloween. If things fly together- 2 weeks.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
BAH!!!

Where are all the red, reef-safe fish that aren't wrasse? -_-

The black spot red damsel is a front runner right now but there's just no strong contenders that I've seen.

Suggestions are welcome and encouraged :)

Posted Image

iDream

iDream

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
  • Tally, FL
:o omgomgomg

I said it in pismos thread, but I'll say it in here too. My LFS has 2 of these over his 90G display tank up front, stocked with rare-er SPS and LPS, and even he throttles it down. I wonder how much throttling you're gonna have to do with such a shallow tank in comparion :lol:

I can't wait!

Btw, why no wrasses? Maybe an anthias?
Posted Image