8866 replies to this topic

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati

Sweet! Yeah, it seemed to work okay for my 75 several years ago, but I just don't know if I was using it right haha.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
FTS because I'm taking back the Goniopora tomorrow and this will probably be the last picture of the 20 before it's a 40 B)

Posted Image

Have something special in store for the 40, now to see it through... :ninja: keeping this one on the QT until it's done, been in the drawing phase for about 5 months but was too impatient to start a tank to do it with the 20.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
I don't like posting pictures at the end of a page so I'm going to eat up these last few posts.

Don't mind me!

Well %#%%, it doesn't let me do that. Someone help me get to 80 so I can show everyone what I did today B)

Edited by JoelRHale, 10 September 2011 - 01:01 PM.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Maybe waiting some time will help?

Edit: woohoo!

Edited by JoelRHale, 10 September 2011 - 01:18 PM.

Posted Image

gena

gena

"We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle."

• Premium Members
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
The 20 looks great. Gonna miss it! I had the same goni a few years ago. My clownfish loved being hosted by it. It eventually faded on me. It's a great coral though, just not long lived for most, I think.

Criley7

Criley7

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,251 posts
  • Joined 22 Jul 2011
Looking good

XXIX MIXED REEF

http://www.nano-reef...f/#entry4446685

Double Vortech and Radion 60g Cube (Retired)
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=291094
I Spy an Octopi (Retired)
http://www.nano-reef...p;#entry3814166
My Micro Muse (Retired)
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=310982
Criley's 20H (Retired)
http://www.nano-reef...?...=281112&hl=

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati

The 20 looks great. Gonna miss it! I had the same goni a few years ago. My clownfish loved being hosted by it. It eventually faded on me. It's a great coral though, just not long lived for most, I think.

Thanks for the help :happy:

Yeah, it's back at the LFS now. I wanted to keep it really bad but after reading hosting clowns is detrimental to it's health and long term (+12 months) success is less than 10% I decided I didn't want to tempt it when I could get $45 in store credit towards my 40 upgrade. I'll miss the 20 too but once I get my special plan for the 40 done I think it will be worth it.

As for what I did today, I switched my 75 tank to a canister I've seeded for 3 months now and added a good chunk of the bioballs into it. I also cleaned the sump and all supplies I'll be using:

Posted Image

I'm amazed at how well it cleaned up! You wouldn't believe that I bought this system (sans the return pump) in 2002 would you? :lol:

Should have the tank Monday, and I will be using all new live sand. I will be using the T5 I have for now but will also buy a 36" 4x39 (I think that's the wattage) T5 and use *both* B) I want montis and I want them to get all the light they need. That's really all I can say about my plans :ninja:

Looking good

Thanks bud, so is your tank!

Bonus!

Posted Image

Stay tuned folks, it's going to get fun (I hope).

Edited by JoelRHale, 10 September 2011 - 01:34 PM.

Posted Image

gena

gena

"We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle."

• Premium Members
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
oooohhh montis! I :wub: montis. can't wait to see what you have in store.

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
I can't wait either :lol:

Does anyone know if something like this and a maxijet 1200 would make a good ato set up? It will be installed in the sump so I don't care about looks, just effectiveness.

Posted Image

Paigee

Paigee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 24 Jun 2011
  • Vancouver, Canada
Ohhh the suspense!!

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Should have the tank tomorrow!!! I *should*, if not it's fine, the manager at the LFS I deal with's grandfather passed away right after I placed my order so the business has been on the fritz. I like to think of myself as a pretty nice, understanding fellow and it's no big several ordered didn't get filed. My friend got his green clown goby though... Which is freaking adorable! I want one but I don't want to copy him.

Tomorrow I'll also buy the live sand.

Tuesday I will stop at the chain LFS for reef crystals ($10 cheaper) and go to lowes and buy egg crate, krylon fusion matte black spray paint, PVC, super glue gel, a new 5 gallon bucket and possibly some hard foam and ato stuff.

The rest of the week will be forming a plan of action for the weekend of hard work ahead of me.

Fish suggestions, I need them. I want red. I want a Flame Angel but I am scared it will nip. I want a good show piece color so hawks are out and I don't think Gary Busey (six line) would play well with a flasher wrasse. if red won't work I will probably get a hammer/torch/frogspawn and get a pair occelaris clowns. They are nice but no where near the *pop* of a Flame Angel IMO.

Oh boy, am I excited for the next few days!

Edited by JoelRHale, 11 September 2011 - 07:19 PM.

Posted Image

Old Gregg

Old Gregg

Water Colorer

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 16 Nov 2010
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Is it in yet is it in?! Linespot Flasher Wrasses pretty cool and they're pretty small too

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Just got word that the tank is in, yippee! I will be picking it up in about 2.5 short hours along with my live sand. The fun begins B)

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Well, ladies and germs, I have it!

Posted Image

Isn't it breathtaking!? :lol: the tank is in the garage because I want to rinse it out and paint the back but I picked it up, the stand, and 40lb of Bimini Live Sand (which I love way more than my Fiji pink, it is just as fine but it's got larger chunks in it, very nice look I feel).

Now tomorrow I get the other items on my list. My friend bailed on me and I was lucky my Dodge Caliber R/T held it all. It has a surprising amount of room I've found over the years.

I know this isn't a freshwater forum but I'd like to share a picture of my mbuna tank I also maintain:

Posted Image

These guys are a joy to keep as well.

Oh boy, am I excited for this to start taking shape!

Edited by JoelRHale, 12 September 2011 - 02:57 PM.

Posted Image

iDream

iDream

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
  • Tally, FL
omgomgomg!

Transfer soon so I can monitor your progress of the 4x39w over the 40b!
Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Thanks for stopping by! Transfer should be within the next 2-3 weeks as long as I don't get lazy. T5 is a front runner, but pismo_reefer made a *great* argument for LED (thanks if you're reading this btw). Years of operation without shifting spectrums, no 6 months to a year bulb replacements and it's really the future of lighting. I just have no idea how to go about it, theres no 36" LED made for sps. So I'll have to DIY a set or figure out an affordable set up. Any suggestions?

Posted Image

iDream

iDream

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
  • Tally, FL
2 of the fixtures Pismo has will be plenty more than enough for a 40b, you'd probably have to throttle them down depending on how high they are.

Most of the fixtures that are 36" long are probably super overpriced
Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Yeah, LED is expensive. But it seems like a DIY makes a far superior light comparatively priced to a MH or nice T5. I will be doing lots of research. I have *some* sodering experience but not much. From what I've seem though it's pretty hard to screw up as long as you research and take your time. I just have no idea how many watts I would need, how many LEDs, and all that stuff.

Posted Image

iDream

iDream

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
  • Tally, FL
I agree, look up sammy113's 40b here, he built an amazing AI-similar DIY fixture, I figure that could at least give you a good idea on how many LEDs
Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Here's a shot of the tank that I didn't get around to yesterday:

Posted Image

I love these dimensions, it's the closest thing to a shallow I can get without spending an arm and a leg (but aquariums are so few around here I even had to special order this tank! Even then they weren't sure they could get it.

Can't wait to get started on this project.

Can anyone with led knowledge tell me if this is a good kit? I would be getting two of them. Would this be enough light/par for SPS? I'm also abandoning chaeto I think. I want macro but I'd like to incorporate them into the display and do away with a refugium. I've kept mandarins before and I don't want them again so there's no real need for culturing pods. I might put some mangroves in the sump.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Well, I went to home depot to get stuff on my lunch break and they really didn't have what I was looking for. No krylon products (even though they are on the website) so I bought another can of Rust-oleum Professional High Performance Enamel color Flat Black 7578 which is what I painted my 20 with, I like the flat color as opposed to gloss, I think it looks nicer and draws even less attention. I will not paint the over flow box. I might if lowes had krylon when I go tomorrow after work.

The the plans for this evening will be to get the tank painted and on the stand tonight. B)

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Taping everything off (Frog Tape is great, I recommend it for anything paint related, I painted my room and it really does leave super clean lines as advertised):

Posted Image

I've put 3 coats on but instead of leaving it out or carrying it, getting paint all over, I came up with an interesting idea that might help someone else:

Posted Image

I used a piece of glass from my failed 55 DIY to protect the face of the tank. It worked very well. Planning on covering the back with a single piece of cardboard to protect the back from chipping (the 20 has chipped a little). I will post a picture of it all together on the stand around 10, I'm letting the paint dry now. The can says it drys to the touch in 15 minutes (my spacing of coats) and is pretty much dry in 1-2 hours. This is the third tank I've painted and in my experience with that brand of paint is that it is pretty accurate times.

Edited by JoelRHale, 13 September 2011 - 03:33 PM.

Posted Image

castiel

castiel

Violence is one of the most fun things to watch.

• Members
  • 2,205 posts
  • Joined 23 Jul 2011
  • Melbourne, Australia
Where can I buy one of those fancy tank moving devices? =0)

ctFyi9l.gif

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
:lol: it's a special order product, the wait list is pretty long.

I was trying to find something something with wheels that was basically flat and that's all I could find. Bah! I want this tank to be dry so I can put in on the stand naow!

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Moved the pictures around to make it easier.

Edited by JoelRHale, 14 September 2011 - 06:05 AM.

Posted Image