8866 replies to this topic

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati

Thanks! Yeah I like little Gary Busey but I can see where he could get a mean streak. I'd read to add him last and I did when I thought I wouldn't upgrade tanks.... Hahahaha I should have known better. After my 55 shallow project somewhat failed or at least got put on hold, I've realized I want at least a 40 breeder and will be upgrading possibly soon, so I'll either have to get rid of him or hope the added space and/or introducing all the existing fish and new fish to the tank at the same time.

Edited by JoelRHale, 22 August 2011 - 07:35 AM.

Posted Image

Calvinorc

Calvinorc

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 23 May 2011
  • Muncy, PA
Wow.... that was hilarious!!! Almost like something from an old Monty Python movie.... "Your Mother was a sea slug, and your father smelled of rotten tuna! I CRAP IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION!!!!" hehehehehe...

Thanks man! I really like them too, they aren't as blue as the way liveaquaria made them out to be but they are still nice, I'm hoping they will color up to a deeper blue over time. I think I need to get some red in my tank now, any ideas?

Red acans rock. Red n blue, red n purple... try picturing some of these in your tank!

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
+1 for Monty Python!

And yes, I'm quite swoon by acans. I like the rainbows and red/blue lords. I also like the looks of plates but I'd want an orange one but I already have that orange yuma so I don't want to solve having too much of one color by getting too much of another.

Posted Image

jprime84

jprime84

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Joined 16 Aug 2011
  • Apex, NC
Man I cant wait for my tank to look like this!

21093r53

21093r53

College Reefer

• Members
  • 2,134 posts
  • Joined 15 Jul 2011
  • Maryland
waiting for a couple months worth of growth!
25 cube
250wt Radium 20k, 4 x 24w giesemann actinic+, 16 x 6wt 420nm leds
asm g1-x
50wt ebo heater
SP 3000 powered by JBJ ATO
Deltec GFO reactor
Deltec carbon reactor
Aquamedic triple reef doser
RKL, sl1, net

any questions?

Baltimore Area Reef Hobbyists

feedback can be seen here...http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=302303

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Jprime, your tank progress is looking good, my tank is only 3 months old so keep that in mind, it doesn't take long for it to take shape!

21093r53, that's my plan, I'm thinking about buying an acan and a plate and then maybe a branching or encrusting monti. But other than that I think I'm done adding anything. I might get some sand sifting snails to help keep my sand stirred.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Just realized there's no pichars on this page. So...

Posted Image

Cute baby gsps.

Posted Image

21093r53

21093r53

College Reefer

• Members
  • 2,134 posts
  • Joined 15 Jul 2011
  • Maryland

Just realized there's no pichars on this page. So...

Posted Image

Cute baby gsps.

very!
25 cube
250wt Radium 20k, 4 x 24w giesemann actinic+, 16 x 6wt 420nm leds
asm g1-x
50wt ebo heater
SP 3000 powered by JBJ ATO
Deltec GFO reactor
Deltec carbon reactor
Aquamedic triple reef doser
RKL, sl1, net

any questions?

Baltimore Area Reef Hobbyists

feedback can be seen here...http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=302303

MrBill2u

MrBill2u

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 01 Aug 2011
That video is awesomsauce! The tank is looking great!

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati

That video is awesomsauce! The tank is looking great!

Thanks!

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Start of September update: not good.

As Murphy's Law would have it, my really nice Diver's Den zoa that I have are dying from a unknown cause that my extensive research of the Internet and my thread in the disease section haven't found.

*Sigh*

Other than that, everthing is okay. I'm not showing any nitrate or phosphates in testing but I know that's a false-positive and the dying zoas are producing a considerable amount. Algae blooming pretty good. Every other coral is doing fine it seems, *a lot* of new GSP growth. Fish are all doing well.

I'm supposed to have my 40Br tank/stand on Tuesday and will be slowly ordering plumbing parts and a new light. I'm excited about upgrading but I'm certainly a little discouraged about my success right now so it's a little bitter sweet.

I'll put up some pictures after my water change on Saturday.

Posted Image

MrBill2u

MrBill2u

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 01 Aug 2011
You may want to try a hydrogen peroxide dip. I have never done it myself, but I have read a number of articles that claim it is a miracle cure for anything ailing a zoanthid colony. Others have had mixed results. If you are in a situation where they will most likely all die off in your tank I would say you have nothing to lose by trying!

Edited by MrBill2u, 02 September 2011 - 03:27 AM.

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Thanks for the tip, I looked into it but it just seems too risky for me to attempt. My impression is I have about a 50:50 chance of killing the remaining ~5 polyps. The dieoff seems to have stopped... knocks furiously on wood ...and I am in contact with customer service at liveaquaria. Ever since my first saltwater tank years ago I've bought the majority of my things through them. They may cost more but overnight shipping, live arrival, and a guarantee better than most lfs make it 100% worth it. If the readers here haven't seen my 55 thread, a few weeks ago I got 27 dead cichlids with no guarantee. I luckily got $20 back through a paypal dispute. Like I said, live arrival policies are amazing.

Anyways, the customer support has been really nice throughout these first steps. I'm out of my guarantee but I'm really just searching for help from them, which they seem to be doing. Updated pictures tomorrow and hopefully 40B pics Tuesday. B)

Edited by JoelRHale, 03 September 2011 - 04:31 AM.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
First updated picture as promised:

Posted Image

It's hard to see, the iPhone is terrible at low light but once the lights are on it will be covered- I have a baby ricordea now. :happy: it's in the bottom right hand side of the picture. It's only about the size of the main ric's mouth.

Going golfing, then water change after, then more pictures. Stay tuned.

Edited by JoelRHale, 03 September 2011 - 05:13 AM.

Posted Image

Paigee

Paigee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 24 Jun 2011
  • Vancouver, Canada
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the zoas :( That's disappointing. Hopefully like you said the die off has stopped!

Can't wait to see your upgrade though :D

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Pictures soon, but tell everyone: liveaquaria is amazing! They credited me $85.00 for the loss even though it was out of guarantee. If you buy from them, make sure to take lots of pictures so if something goes wrong you have something to show. They were very nice, very professional, and I really don't see why I will ever buy from another online vendor again. My day has been made.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
FTS
Posted Image

The lfs is taking money off the cost of the 40B for a paly frag trade so I chipped off a good sized piece of the rock.

I would have more in-depth pictures but that will have to wait a day or so, chipping caused the palys to slime and now everything is closed up like when I first added them. Now I know that carbon will help so I changed 4 gallons and replaced the carbon with new carbon. I'm not too worried about the tank as a whole but I am concerned that this might completely do in the zoas in trouble. I am really hoping the few I have left will make it and come back strong.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
The side of the tank that doesn't suck right now:
Posted Image

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Since my zoas are closed, I thought it was a good opportunity to show the two red sea squirts I've discovered.

Posted Image

They seem to be doing well, they've gotten huge since I've been watching them.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
New FTS and Video:
Posted Image

Video 4

Enjoy!

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Just dug out and cleaned my protein skimmer.
Posted Image
I don't really know much about it other than it's made by Proclear Aquatic Systems in Jacksonville, Fl, it's run by a Rio 600 RVT (rejuvenating venturi) pump, is about 18" tall, and has an output in the collection cup that can drain into a 2 liter if you're running a wetter skim.

Any thoughts on this skimmer/tips to get it working at peak condition? To be honest I don't think I used it right when I first had it. The lfs didn't show me how so I just kind of plugged it in.

I will be using the Proclear Aquatics sump that goes with the skimmer, I should remove the bioballs correct? I will load the canister on my cichlid tank with them if I shouldn't use it in the reef system.

Any other information I should know when upgrading this tank? I know things change (and stay the same) when the tanks get bigger and I'll be going from 20 gallons to 55 (40 with the sump).

Thinking about adding a pair of Percs once I have something they can host in. I want a flame angel but I want to keep definitely reef safe fish.

Any comments, questions, tips? Thanks for looking!

Edited by JoelRHale, 05 September 2011 - 10:39 AM.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
New Addition, which will be taken back to the lfs, a Green Goniopora.

Posted Image

Got it frag for frag for a section of paly rock. It was pretty and kind of impulse. After researching it I don't think I can provide the care it needs with individual feeding. Anyone with long term success care to interject? I'd like to keep it but my impression is it's very hard.

Anyways, it seems to like it's spot at the moment so I thought I'd share it while I still have it! Thanks for looking!

Posted Image

AaronMyers

AaronMyers

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 28 Aug 2010
  • Phoenix AZ
Hey Joel, the tank looks great, I love the latest video. Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the zoas.
What kind of hermit crab is that in the vedeo where he it trying to right himself?

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Thanks for stopping by! Ummm, he's an "assorted" hermit lol. He and his friend were $.50 so I got them. I also have a scarlet hermit that's the boss. If you like hermits you should check out pismo_reefer's tank, he's got a sweet looking Halloween Hermit.

The zoas are bouncing back, counted 20 open polyps so all is good. Had over 100, but 20 should grow back quickly.

Posted Image

Deep Stops

Deep Stops

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Joined 02 Nov 2010
  • SE Florida
Hey wow! I had that same protein skimmer 6 years ago. It worked great in my sump under my 90 gallon. Cool.