Cultivated Reef

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have my lights on 100-100'.

9-5 for blues, 8-4 for whites.

The fixture is 30" of the sand and my clams are more than happy.

I'd consider that. :eek:

What's the science behind that?

I'll be adding that right after I get home from work tomorrow B) thanks for the tip!

Vinegar is an acid, diluted with water.

The vinegar eats through the protein matrix(bubbles), on the sidewalls,

but doesn't make it to the skimmer up pipe.

Simple stuff.....

Like sticking yer finger in a foamy soda.... :lol:

-------------------------

Or you could start twisting yer lid, a few times a day.

That'll season yer lid with oils and bacteria.

The crud that forms will dissolve the skimmate

So I shouldn't clean the collection cup? It's got a tube that feeds a bottle so I technically don't need to mess with it, it's just getting nasty with the lid coming off the top every day.

Did someone mention my tank and algae? :lol:

Love the latest shot Joel! Looks awesome!

So, are you looking for the medium size or ? I get diver's den notices too so I can be on the look out for you. You can pm me if you don't want to give anything away yet...which I know you don't ;)

Haha it was, it was! How is the algae battle going (in your eyes). I think your tank looks great but I know as the tanks owner you might be more picky!

The trick with the last photo was when I'm editing it, I played with the "auto correct" feature.. The standard setting was pretty true to real life :) that's also where you can crop your photos too, it's got a lot of stuff you can do straight from the phone now.

I want the small. I think it's like 1-2" or something like that. When I decided I wanted one they had "small/medium" which is 2-3" and I certainly don't want it at 3" to begin with. If you search "baby *insert fish name*" there's one video and I'm in love!

I don't want clowns I don't think but if their tank bred occs are still $10 I'll have to I think. But then I need to get something for them to host in!

this tank looks like crap

:P jk

Your face looks like crap :P:flower:

My aspiration is a year or two down the line for these pictures to look like crap compared to what it's become B)

I'm really pumped to see your tank come together as well, something all too evident is a smaller tank is easier to attain the full look. I'm looking at increasing my coral seriously and it still won't look full until it all grows in.

This is hands down my favorite tank I've had.

Clowns will host anything or nothing at all. I think they are happy either way.

I searched (you meant on youtube right?) and found a video with a pretty darn cutey :wub:

The algae is still there..but I did do some peroxide dipping when I tore the thing down to get the worms, so it's not so bad.

Clowns will host anything or nothing at all. I think they are happy either way.

I searched (you meant on youtube right?) and found a video with a pretty darn cutey :wub:

The algae is still there..but I did do some peroxide dipping when I tore the thing down to get the worms, so it's not so bad.

Yeah I've read they are happy without, but they are just so cute when they have that security blanket.

And yeah I'm sure you found exactly the video I was talking about, and it's freaking the cutest thing ever!

Great news about the algae :) as long as you're happy with how it looks that's all that matters B)

Yeah I've read they are happy without, but they are just so cute when they have that security blanket.

And yeah I'm sure you found exactly the video I was talking about, and it's freaking the cutest thing ever!

Great news about the algae :) as long as you're happy with how it looks that's all that matters B)

You know...you do have plenty of room and the proper lighting for an anemone!

Just checking in... :happy:

Everything's a-okay here (at least I hope, 3.5 hours left at work). Right now it's all about letting the tank settle and waiting to hear from live aquaria when the fish is in stock for my size and to hear about your corals. My friend also has some Xenia, tanish/yellow (only seen pictures so not sure about the color) monti cap, and a photosynthetic gorg coming my way soon. B) and I guess after all that, look at my money I have to spend and get a cuc from reef cleaners. Right now I'm not impressed with their customer service (which I know is way out of the norm) but the truth is they are way cheap and a good company.

You know...you do have plenty of room and the proper lighting for an anemone!

I do... But they can walk. I had a GBTA in my 75 and a pair of clarkii's which I liked. I was thinking more like a hammer so I can better control the placement. But you know my plans can change in a second :lol:

You do realize that small, BECOMES medium.... don't you!? :huh:

:lol:

-----------------------------

But, srsly... Be VERY careful w/ Xenia.

They either love tanks, or won't grow in them.

If they love a tank, they grow at a ridiculous rate, and spread fast.

Keep them in a remote, removable location.

You may want them gone one day. :mellow:

They sure are pretty, tho! :happy:

But, srsly... Be VERY careful w/ Xenia.

They either love tanks, or won't grow in them.

If they love a tank, they grow at a ridiculous rate, and spread fast.

Keep them in a remote, removable location.

You may want them gone one day. :mellow:

They sure are pretty, tho! :happy:

YGPM for the first part. B)

And my plan is to put them on gsp island. I'm tempted to move the island closer to the base to let the horn show that it's free floating better.

Island, good.

Xenia grabbing a footing on mainland, bad.

I've seen Xenia stretch ~5", to grab a different rock.

Stretched overnight, that is.... :D

-------------------

And... ;) about the other thing.

I think I'll be okay too :lol:

So I moved things around, but I think I made a good compromise:

LOMrF.jpg

What do you guys (and gals) think? It shows the free floating aspect but there was only a slight shift.

Also, is this good enough to submit for the POTM contest for "camouflage"?

Ol6b8.jpg

In some unfortunate news, I got let go from my job today. I'm not upset, I just feel the way it happened was lame. I got called after work saying not to show up tomorrow so I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to anyone. We did stuff after work a lot so I'll still see them. I'm meeting with the attorney I worked for winter break about a letter of recommendation and maybe this door was closed so another will open.

HA I hate how they do that, at least they didn't wait until Friday so you have tomorrow to scope out some potential opportunities.

GL

Oh and tank looks great like that I like seeing that the Trunk is free standing. ;)

Haha thanks, I'm definitely going to take some time off though. :)

I like the way it is now too B)

Submitted that picture for the POTM, hopefully others like it too.

####ty deal about the job man, hope you can grab another job after some R&R..lol

tank is looking great tho! i like how things have their own spot to be displayed.

Archived