4. Green Gonipora.
5. Start of the 40B Upgrade.
6. T5 vs. LED Comparison.
7. Moving Day.
8. 40B Unveiled.
9. Aquascape Build.
10. Reef Lobster (Fred Schneider).
11. Flame Angel (Mark Rothko) and Acro.
12. Pink Skunks (Andy Warhol and Marilyn Monroe).
13. New Pink Skunk (Norma Jeane).
14. Aussie Frogspawn.
15. Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Clyfford Still).
16. Lyretail Anthias (Boy George).
17. How to Make an Animated Signature.
18. Coral from Pismo_Reefer.
19. Coral from Mr. Coral.
20. New Cleaner Shrimp and Nudibranch.
21. Peppermint Shrimp Pair and New Starry Blenny.
22. Domino Damsel.
23. Damsel Party.
24. Montiporas Galore!

Thanks for looking!

Edited by JoelRHale, 12 May 2012 - 11:50 AM.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Equipment:
  • 40 Gallon Aqueon 36"x18"x16"
  • ProClear Sump and Protein Skimmer
  • 700gph Return Pump
  • 40lb Caribsea Bimini live sand
  • 20lb Base Rock and 25lb Live Rock
  • Koralia Evolution 750
  • Koralia Evolution 425
  • Aqueon 200w heater
  • Coralife 9w TurboTwist UV
  • 2x Stark LED 60w V2.0 Dimmable Fixtures
  • JBJ ATO
Maintenance:
  • Scrape Glass
  • Make Sure ATO Reservoir is Full
  • 3 Gallon WC Weekly
  • Dose Iodion 12 Drops Weekly
Feeding (Suspended due to Water Stability):
  • Rotate 1/2 TSP PhytoPlex and Phytochrom Monthy
  • Rotate 1/2 TSP Zooplex and Zooplanktos-L Monthly
Fish:
  • Neon Damsel
  • Green Chromis
  • Domino Damsel
Coral:
  • Soft Coral:
    • Green Star Polyps
    • Angel Hair
    • Finger Leather
    • Blue Sympodium
    • Orange Ricordea Yuma
    • Mushrooms: Purple and Green Metallic
    • Zoas: Whammin' Watermelon, Pink, Packers, Eagle Eye, Fire and Black Ice, Radioactive Dragon Eyes, Radioactive Frog Eyes, Miami Hurricanes, Blue Ice, and Blue Eyes
    • Palys: Green and Brown
    • Gorgonian
  • SPS:
    • Acropora:
      • Rumpshaker
      • Bam Bam
      • Fuzzy Watermelon
    • Montipora:
      • JF Grinch
      • Tyree Undata
      • Tyree Verrucosa
      • Superman
      • Rainbow
      • Pink Cap
  • LPS:
    • Aussie Frogspawn
    • Huckleberry Chalice
Inverts:
  • 1 Debelius' Reef Lobster (Fred Schneider)
  • Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Pair (Clyfford Still and Emily Elizabeth-Still)
  • 1 Emerald Crab
  • 7 Astrea Snails
  • 1 Hermit Crabs
  • 2 Margarita Snails
  • 1 Turbo Snail
  • All the expected hitchhikers: Feather Dusters, Tube Worms, Sponges, Worms, etc.
Plants:
  • Caulerpa prolifera
  • Red Mangroves

Edited by JoelRHale, 03 April 2012 - 04:39 PM.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
History:
Video 1- 7/18/2011
Video 2- 8/06/2011
Video 3- 8/20/2011
Video 4- 9/04/2011
Video 5- 10/14/2011
Video 6- 10/29/2011
Video 7- 11/13/11
Video 8- 12/10/11
Video 9- 1/19/12
Video 10- 2/21/12

Cinematographs:
2/21/12:
Posted Image

FTS's:
(4/3/12):
Posted Image
(2/21/12):
Posted Image
(1/2/12):
Posted Image
(12/1/11):
Posted Image
(11/27/11):
Posted Image
(11/10/11):
Posted Image
(11/8/2011):
Posted Image
(10/29/2011):
Posted Image
(10/25/2011):
Posted Image
(10/14/2011):
Posted Image
(9/04/2011):
Posted Image
(8/06/2011):
Posted Image
(7/03/2011)
Posted Image
(6/01/2011)
Posted Image

Edited by JoelRHale, 12 May 2012 - 11:51 AM.

Posted Image

ktaylor

ktaylor

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 14 Jun 2011
looks great joel! love those blues!

i have figured out how to get macro shots with my camera, but they are still blurry. do you use a timer to take the shots?

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
I usually just take 10-20 pictures per shot I want and hope for the best haha. Remember those mbuna pictures I took? I took about 175 all together. Coral should be a little easier to capture since they aren't running around everywhere. Holding the lens flush with the glass helps me a lot!

Get your tank on here once your liveaquaria stuff comes in!

Edited by JoelRHale, 14 July 2011 - 09:22 AM.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Here's a quick 2 minute video update of my tank:
Video Update 1

Most has stayed the same. I've shuffled different corals around trying to find their happy place and I'm getting closer to where everything wants to be. The GSP is loving where it is and has gotten 10x brighter than when I got it and there is a lot of new growth. Same with the zoas. Mushroom looks happy but no new grown. Finding out I'm not a huge fan of soft corals like the finger leathers. I will probably look into trading them for more zoas, mushrooms, and maybe a pulsing xenia.

You can also see the addition of my surface skimmer, which was the best $7 spent so far. You can get a good look at the fuge, it's not an original design but it is slightly different than some. I have removed the glass top and feel like the light looks much better and everything seems to be responding well to that. I have also begun dosing with iodine, hopefully that was not a mistake. I've read that GSP, zoa, and mushrooms all benefit from it so I figured it was worth a try.

Edited by JoelRHale, 20 July 2011 - 02:52 PM.

Posted Image

kriskristofferzen

kriskristofferzen

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • Joined 26 Jan 2011
  • Southeastern Pa.
nice job with your tank as well, you getting the mp10 soon? that cichlid tank is pretty nice. i am missing the freshwater stuff after starting with it and will be getting back to it soon. Do you like the oddyssea light, i was thinking about that for a 60p freshwater setup? thanks.

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
I'm still on the fence about the MP10. I want it, but the flow combination I have right now is getting amazing results. It's a B>C thing, I'm still trying to figure out if the benefits outweigh the costs. It will transfer to the 75 gallon well so I have long term use for it. I'll have to snoop around for studies on coral growth with the MP10. If I can get off this fence I'll be ordering it today or tomorrow.

I love my cichlids and thanks for the compliment :) they were my solution to keeping saltwater color without the hassle. Then the sw bug started biting again.

The Odyssea light is great. It's got all the things you expect from a T5HO, separate power cords for 10k, actinic, and lunar led. It runs cool. It has 4 lunar LEDs which is pretty nice. It looks and feels pretty well built. I've not had it long enough to testify about long term performance but I don't doubt its quality. The only thing I don't like is the legs, they are junk. The light is just short enough to not reliably sit on top of my tank and the legs don't really help. I have to balance the light then use the legs to hold onto the sides of the tank. Without the legs and a slight nudge it would fall into the tank. I will look into diy legs but I was disappointed it did not fit all of my needs out of the box.

Edited by JoelRHale, 22 July 2011 - 07:18 PM.

Posted Image

hooligan_78

hooligan_78

The sign in the road says we're going nowhere

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  • Joined 12 Jul 2007
  • Omaha, Ne
Nice man! Not that I'm biased or anything... ;)

I'm really wanting the MP10, I don't have research to back it up, but every one of my friends' tanks that have one, the polyp extension is crazy! I've been so tempted to just buy one, but if your flow is working, you might not need one.

Edited by hooligan_78, 22 July 2011 - 01:56 PM.

The 20H Getting Torn Down For The Move!!!

My 40 Breeder, a.k.a., the Bank Breaker

My Clownfish Breeding Attempt

Not QTing is like banging whores raw dog. Eventually, you'll catch something.

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
A bias!? Nahhhhhhh. :D

I'm like you, I want to be in the MP Club but that $230 could buy either a crap ton of frags or a few really nice colonies. My tank is probably going to be just GSP, Zoa, Paly, and Mushroom anyways so I'd be using the MP at a very low setting to begin with. But it's just so sexy.

Already said it on your thread, but your tank is something to be jealous of, it looks amazing.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Took a few shots:
Sympodium open and loving it's new location
Posted Image

Finger Leathers doing well, anyone know why they seem to only open every other day? Too much light?
Posted Image

The new growth on the GSP I mentioned earlier, I notice at least 5 new polyps a day since iodine dosing.
Posted Image

I love these zoas!
Posted Image

I love watching my hermits.
Posted Image

Posted Image

kriskristofferzen

kriskristofferzen

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • Joined 26 Jan 2011
  • Southeastern Pa.

Took a few shots:
Sympodium open and loving it's new location
Posted Image

Finger Leathers doing well, anyone know why they seem to only open every other day? Too much light?
Posted Image

The new growth on the GSP I mentioned earlier, I notice at least 5 new polyps a day since iodine dosing.
Posted Image
are you adding anythign else for the gsp, i picked up a frag the other day and it is struggling opening. right now i have a kent brand supplement, sort of broad band with nutrients. iodine would be good for them?

I love these zoas!
Posted Image
nice looking! i have a little frag but dont know a whole lot about zoas, what do you dose for them or do you do anything at all?

I love watching my hermits.
Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
The only tank supplements I use is Iodion, which is an iodine supplement made by Brightwell Aquatics. It was half the price of the Kent Marine stuff with the same dosing instructions so it is the same concentration most likely. I've read numerous places and heard many people say that iodine is great for GSP, Zoa, Paly, and Mushrooms, since those are the only corals I'm really thinking about keeping it was a no brainer to give it a try. Other than that, I have the GSP as high as I can get and it went from a dull green to a bright metallic shine in about a week. Just compare the two FTS for the color change. Don't worry about it not opening, it will. Mine took like a week to get 100% polyp opening and then a few more weeks to get the polyp extension/curling I'm seeing now. Once the iodine was added the new growth exploded.

Thanks! :) As with the GSP, the only thing I give my zoa is Iodion. I've considered getting a phytoplankton supplement and will give it a try soon, I don't want to mess around with my water through dosing too much.

Edited by JoelRHale, 23 July 2011 - 05:08 AM.

Posted Image

hooligan_78

hooligan_78

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  • Joined 12 Jul 2007
  • Omaha, Ne

A bias!? Nahhhhhhh. :D

I'm like you, I want to be in the MP Club but that $230 could buy either a crap ton of frags or a few really nice colonies. My tank is probably going to be just GSP, Zoa, Paly, and Mushroom anyways so I'd be using the MP at a very low setting to begin with. But it's just so sexy.

Already said it on your thread, but your tank is something to be jealous of, it looks amazing.

Thanks man, in time yours will get looking awesome. Believe it or not, I've had it running for 4 years now. It didn't always look like that, it was a HOB NIGHTMARE. Skimmer, filter, heater and powerheads everywere! I HATED it. So I basically found a stand on craigslists and built a sump. I was sick of the clutter. One thing about the MP10 is I can have 1 return and 1 powerhead, really open it up, you know? I'm also going to take the time to drill it once we move

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
I have a sump for my 75 that I like a lot. Helps with the bioload of 19 cichlids and keeps the clutter way down.

I'm just really happy the surface skimmer is black, it really helps. You make a good point about space with the MP10, dang it! Why do I feel my wallet getting lighter? I've considered a rock structure built up the back left to hide the skimmer but I'd have to redo my scape which isn't something I'm fond of doing haha. But that would be cool to grow some form of encrusting coral on.

4 years is a good long time for a tank to mature. Once I'm in one place for a good while I can't wait to see what my tank could look like.

Posted Image

hooligan_78

hooligan_78

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  • Joined 12 Jul 2007
  • Omaha, Ne
I started out a lot like yours though. I had leathers and xenia everywhere. "Beginner" corals. The leathers got too big and took over quickly so I sold those. I was growing some nice RBTAs for awhile, but the last 2 I had wouldn't split for some reason and got WAY too big for the tank. So the pics from a little over a year ago was when I tore everything out and basically started over.

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Just dropped some good money in Diver's Den, expect pictures Thursday. :D

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Well the coral is still getting used to their surroundings but I promised some pictures today so here they are:

The unnamed zoa, got a few names in mind but until they color up and resemble the picture that sold me on them, I'm not sure the name fits:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Combo zoa rock with two strains of fire and ices, blue ices, miami hurricanes, and radioactive frog eyes:
Posted Image

Found this strange, pill-bug like thing on the zoa, not sure what it is but it did not make it into the tank:
Posted Image

Rescaping a little, water is a little cloudy but I think it's looking better. The mushroom needs a low flow area and I just can't seem to find one no matter where I place it where it's still in full view:
Posted Image

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Now that the tank has settled I thought I would follow up with some pictures.

Left side of tank with new GSP location:
Posted Image

Closer view of the GSP:
Posted Image

Bottom new zoa and mushroom:
Posted Image

Top new zoa:
Posted Image

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
After a horrible experience at one lfs (the most recent in a long line of interactions with poor business management and ownership which apparently doesn't believe in encouraging hobby growth), I have traded the finger leather frags to another lfs for a six line wrasse for my tank and a 5.5 pound piece of live rock for my friends tank.

Posted Image

He is in the tank now but is obviously still getting used to his surroundings and his quick movement makes it hard to photograph.

Posted Image

seabass1

seabass1

ReeferHead

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 14 Oct 2008
I am also putting together a 20H. I am interested in your sixline's development in his new home. I have been thinking about one for my tank, but there are so many choices.

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
There really are so many choices! With my first sw tank I was all about fish, I had a few pieces of soft coral, I had tons of fish, but I had never kept a wrasse. I was pretty sure I wanted one, but which one? I narrowed it down to a six line or a Flasher but when I went to the lfs to trade frags and found this little guy I had to have him, I don't think I mentioned it in the last post but he *might* be an inch long. He is very tiny.

The real decision maker was that they had him for a week and he was eating flakes, I don't really want to mess with frozen food more than the occasional treat if I have too.

Posted Image

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Well the Six Line has taken well to his home and accepted flakes (a mix of Prime Reef and Brine Shrimp from Ocean Nutrition) on the first feeding attempt.

Here is a quick, 1 minute video of the Six Line being very curious of my camera with an added photobomb by the Yellowtail Damsel.

Two of the better pictures I got of him:
Posted Image

Posted Image

He loves that little cave area. I'm very pleased with him so far and think he's going to make a very good and final fish for the tank.

Posted Image

Paigee

Paigee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 24 Jun 2011
  • Vancouver, Canada
Nice tank! Love the wrasse, they're super cool looking! :)

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati
Thanks! Right now I'm putting it on cruise control for about a month before I add anything more (coralwise, I'm definitely done adding fish). I'm not sure if it was coincidence or a reaction to adding the wrasse to the bioload but I've gotten a diatom bloom again. It's not bad but it was enough to let me know it knocked it out of balance.

Posted Image