Pod Your Reef

Coldwater Northeast Pacific Seagrass and Bay Pipe Fish.

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer
Where are you going to collect pipe fish tomorrow??? There isn't even a low tide

Josh and Taylor are going to try their luck out in Tillamook bay. I'm still on baby duty house arrest.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Josh and Taylor are going to try their luck out in Tillamook bay. I'm still on baby duty house arrest.

Maybe I'm looking at my tide table wrong but, REALLY??? I wouldn't even bother. The bay is probably still running muddy and when I was there 75% of the eel grass was gone and pipe fish were hard to come by. Good luck to them. Let me know how they do. I'm itching to get some more pipe fish.

AquaticEngineer
Maybe I'm looking at my tide table wrong but, REALLY??? I wouldn't even bother. The bay is probably still running muddy and when I was there 75% of the eel grass was gone and pipe fish were hard to come by. Good luck to them. Let me know how they do. I'm itching to get some more pipe fish.

They are mostly just going along the shore for crabs and to scout a few other areas, I just told em to grab me any if they found it. I'm hoping to hit up the minus tide in February on the 18th and 19th.

They are mostly just going along the shore for crabs and to scout a few other areas, I just told em to grab me any if they found it. I'm hoping to hit up the minus tide in February on the 18th and 19th.

I plan to go on the 18th. Do you have a plan on where you will be going?

AquaticEngineer
I plan to go on the 18th. Do you have a plan on where you will be going?

Got a couple places picked out. Probably just in and around Oceanside and Garibaldi, more Tillamook bay area stuff. If I get adventurous I may drive up the south spit and hike down a ways. I'm going to save the big trips south for the major minus tides in the spring.

Got a couple places picked out. Probably just in and around Oceanside and Garibaldi, more Tillamook bay area stuff. If I get adventurous I may drive up the south spit and hike down a ways. I'm going to save the big trips south for the major minus tides in the spring.

When the time comes let me know. If I can make it I'd like to collect with you and your friends.

AquaticEngineer
How did the guys do at the bay this weekend?

They went to Tillamook Bay by Garibaldi and found the same stuff you did. I told them to go check out the south spit but I dont think their significant others wanted to hike that much :lol:

Josh found some really nicely colored male Cockscombs, but they got what I really wanted them to get which was a lifetime supply of shore crabs for the GPO. :D

IMG_20120128_204728.jpg

IMG_20120128_204742.jpg

IMG_20120128_204702.jpg

AquaticEngineer
That is a lot of shore crabs! I thought there was a limit on those?

What are you talking about the south spit?

There is a limit of 10 per person per day under the sport fishing regulations.

Limits are a bit different when you can collect under a commercial fishing license with specialized permits B) We are using them as food for our GPO as well as selling them as live feeders for other people with cephalopods.

South Spit of Tillamook Bay, where the city of Bay Ocean used to be.

There is a road that leads about a mile out the spit that you can drive down, then you have to part and walk the rest of the way for another mile or two depending on how far you want to go. There is lots of muddy sand flats along this portion of the bay and most people go clamming out there.

AquaticEngineer
I need to get one of those licenses so I can bring home more. 10 just isn't enough per trip.

Let me know what you want and I can grab it, I have to pay the state for it by the pound, but you can buy stuff from me for the price of gas there and back :D

Let me know what you want and I can grab it, I have to pay the state for it by the pound, but you can buy stuff from me for the price of gas there and back :D

I might some time, but for now a large part of the hobby is collecting myself. I kinda got out of reef keeping to quit the credit card swipe mentality of how nice a tank you could purchase.

AquaticEngineer

Got most of the foam work done on the tank, here's pics of it when I had it full of water letting the rock salt melt off tonight.

I cant decide if I want to use the dark gray epoxy paint to highlight it like I've done on my other foam work or just leave it like this.

Best part about all the rock being on the two sides is that I have a place to adhere bivalves without having any rock in the sand to take away from the seagrass bed :D

IMG_20120130_201604.jpg

IMG_20120130_201616.jpg

IMG_20120130_201450.jpg

IMG_20120130_201516.jpg

IMG_20120130_201540.jpg

• 1 month later...
AquaticEngineer

I decided I'm going to go with a different type of seagrass. Instead of the native species that grows in sand flats and seems to die off during the winter months, I'm going to go with another native seagrass commonly referred to as "surf grass". It grows attached to large rocks, requires no substrate at all, and apparently doesn't die back like the other grass I was looking at during the winter.

Should be pretty cooling since I can attach the surf grass to the fake rocks and keep the sand bed open for burrowing animals :D

Also picked up my stand today, still need to get the black acrylic cut to cover the two visible sides and the cover pieces for the filtration area of the tank. Stand was a custom job by a local guy who came out and took measurements for me to make sure the mini fridge and chiller would fit underneath in the stand inside of the footprint of the tank. It had to be open on the two wall facing sides to allow for ventilation of the fridge and chiller, and I still may get the acrylic side pieces for the stand done with louvers cut in them for vents.

2012-03-049511-53-2995546.jpg

2012-03-049511-53-1895612.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Did some test fits and check the routes for the plumbing. Still needs to be skinned in acrylic, but you get the idea ;)

IMG_20120306_001730.jpg

IMG_20120306_001745.jpg

IMG_20120306_001809.jpg

IMG_20120306_001828.jpg

Amphiprion1

I wonder if strong water movement is a must for Phyllospadix? It seems to predominate in habitats that have strong wave or tidal action. I've only ever seen it in public aquaria, so I have no idea on what conditions are optimal for the genus. Do you know which species you'll be using?

AquaticEngineer
I wonder if strong water movement is a must for Phyllospadix? It seems to predominate in habitats that have strong wave or tidal action. I've only ever seen it in public aquaria, so I have no idea on what conditions are optimal for the genus. Do you know which species you'll be using?

I'm going to try Phyllospadix scouleri again.

I'm not sure if high water movement is a must, but I guess we'll find out :lol: I've only found it in areas that have pretty drastic tidal changes. I had very poor success with it the last time I tried to grow it, I think the problem with the last time was that I tried to remove the grass from the rocks and transplant it. This time I'm going to take a small section of rock that the plants are growing on so that there is no distruption of the rhizomes.

AquaticEngineer
I've got to see some legal stuff about MA so I can get on the temperate scene :D

Let me know if you need any help researching it, I've actually been looking at the MA marine fishery website for one of my friends who lives in Boston. I've also been in contact with a few people who are going to try and get me some H. Erectus seahorses from out there off the south side of Cape Cod near Buzzards Bay.

AquaticEngineer

Got myself a coup;e nice chunks of surf grass on sunday :D Its hanging out in my flow through tank until I can get water going in the new tank.

Archived