Cultivated Reef

a Wisconsin Reef... my experiences in aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

US Marine Coral

Very well thought out breeding system! Do you have any pic of the sump area? Thanks for sharing :D

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alpha Aquaculture
Very well thought out breeding system! Do you have any pic of the sump area? Thanks for sharing :D

It really makes all the difference and keeps me going when I hear positive comments like yours. Thanks for the fuel! I will get some pics up of the sump area soon. Also, I've been planning on showing everyone what I'm doing for the overflow standpipes so babies don't get washed over. No problem Im glad to share with those who have shared so much with me :)

Alpha Aquaculture

Here are some pics of the sump area of half of my 700g fish breeding and holding system. The other half will be the exact mirror reflection of this side. Ive got a big Reeflo Hammerhead Gold on there that pushes 5555gph. I almost think more would be better but everything seems pretty happy with it.

7-16-2011-002_edited-1.jpg

7-16-2011-003_edited-1.jpg

Its very tight above the sump area. I must have screwed up either the dimension of the clearance above the sump or the sump height. I usually figure 10" clearance but I ended up with only 8". The BubbleKing Supermarin 250's collection cup has only 1" clearance when its removed lol. Its a tight fit but I am happy that I have used the space as efficiently as possible.

7-16-2011-004_edited-1.jpg

Alpha Aquaculture
Looks good. Get the water level a little higher in the skimmer and that beast will start kicking butt

Thanks! I need to get that ato setup to keep things constant. There is little organic matter in there anyways right now. When all the fish get added it will start going crazy with all the food. It was just cleaned in the photo.

Ur set up keeps getting sweeter. Might have to take a road trip to drool

in person

Thank you! Gotta keep adding that sweet and low ;) Your invited anytime just hit me up! Might even be able to put you to work :)

US Marine Coral

Thanks for posting the pics of the sump. Once again, well thought out. Are you going to add more live rock or is that all that's necessary. How many lbs is that anyway? Thanks

Alpha Aquaculture
Thanks for posting the pics of the sump. Once again, well thought out. Are you going to add more live rock or is that all that's necessary. How many lbs is that anyway? Thanks

No problem and thank you! Yes definitely was planning on adding more live rock. Really just forgot to up to this point lol. I'll add some more now. :) I just counted I only have 13 clowns in the 350g. We've been doing 50g weekly water changes, cleaning the collection cup on the BK daily and also the filter sock. I'm not really sure of how much is in there now or how much I'm gonna put in there but as much as is functional probably.

We first set this system up like this and then wet plumbed it. It worked great, got a head start!

6-11-2011-021_edited-1.jpg

6-11-2011-020_edited-1.jpg

Got 3000 lbs dry rock, 2000 mined and 1000 pukani. I didn't want to take a majority from the ocean but I needed some seeds.

5-21-2011-009_edited-1.jpg

Since this picture we've added a skimmer on here

5-21-2011-010_edited-1.jpg

5-11-2011-013_edited-1.jpg

No problem and thank you! Yes definitely was planning on adding more live rock. Really just forgot to up to this point lol. I'll add some more now. :) I just counted I only have 13 clowns in the 350g. We've been doing 50g weekly water changes, cleaning the collection cup on the BK daily and also the filter sock. I'm not really sure of how much is in there now or how much I'm gonna put in there but as much as is functional probably.

We first set this system up like this and then wet plumbed it. It worked great, got a head start!

6-11-2011-021_edited-1.jpg

6-11-2011-020_edited-1.jpg

Got 3000 lbs dry rock, 2000 mined and 1000 pukani. I didn't want to take a majority from the ocean but I needed some seeds.

5-21-2011-009_edited-1.jpg

Since this picture we've added a skimmer on here

5-21-2011-010_edited-1.jpg

5-11-2011-013_edited-1.jpg

very professional look... love the rock, will seed with bacteria super fast..

Alpha Aquaculture
Dang... :o

Lol! :)

very professional look... love the rock, will seed with bacteria super fast..

I decided to use Dr. Tims one and only live nitrifying bacteria. I liked the fact that his bacterial strains were found in heathy aquariums not taken from industrial sources. Also, he called me up right after I placed the order and told me how I could save money and setup a wholesale contract. Dr. Tim is a great person to deal with and is also very knowledgeable.

How long will it take to seed the rock that way?

and how do u know a rock is alive and not just a wet base rock?

well seeding dont take long at all maybe 3-4 weeks tops and he will have some nice seeded rock if he were to use live rock as a base to seed all that base rock, as for the liquid form seeding well that another story, ive seen cycle work really well in starting a new reef and sometimes not, so it all depends, this stuff he 's talking about seems to be something similar but a better brand which will also just seed the rock.... you cant see the rock get seeded it just works that way... put 100 pounds base rock in an aquarium put 20-30lbs live rock already seeded and all your rock will be seeded with good bacteria in a couple weeks!!! that simple

thats how i seed all my sponge filters for my fry tanks.. stick those suckers in my 75 gallon reef for 3-4weeks and bam there ready to go!!!

Ahh cube that makes since. Once your sponges are ready to go

Do u have to cycle ur grow tanks? Like do you keep it ready at

all times?

Alpha Aquaculture

Got the stands for the coral raceways today!!! They are beautiful. My welders are top notch professionals.

7-22-2011-001_edited-1.jpg

Not too much room to move around lol.

7-22-2011-002_edited-1.jpg

Getting ready for seperation tanks! The drawings went out with the welders today!

7-22-2011-003_edited-1.jpg

Alpha Aquaculture
Question. Dont you think you put the bulk heads kind low in your breeder tank?

Doesnt seem very fail safe

Your totally right. I have made a ton of mistakes but I try and learn from them. I think this will all work well. I've added the cepex true union valves so I can take any tank out of the system in under 10 min. So if I need to work on a leak it will be easy. And I hate to admit but it gets worse...

7-22-2011-003_edited-1.jpg

All the tanks that are lined up on the right side of that pic are drilled on the bottom. If they leak bad it will be a lot of work but in certain ways I am benefiting from this design. I have used space very efficiently in my designs. :)

Ok wasnt sure if you had a reason or not. Hopefuly its not even an issue.

What are u putting in the reallly big tank? A great white?

hamiltonra25

Thank god wisconsin will finally get some sweet breeding going.

Seems like everything ships from FL or CA....

Then you have to pay for overnight shipping and it just gets ridiculous.

Would love to come by sometime and see this sick setup.

The hour drive would be well worth it.

Sconnies unite.....

Alpha Aquaculture
Ok wasnt sure if you had a reason or not. Hopefuly its not even an issue.

What are u putting in the reallly big tank? A great white?

I'm thinking about trying to breed black tangs :) Got any cool suggestions?

Thank god wisconsin will finally get some sweet breeding going.

Seems like everything ships from FL or CA....

Then you have to pay for overnight shipping and it just gets ridiculous.

Would love to come by sometime and see this sick setup.

The hour drive would be well worth it.

Sconnies unite.....

Whatup! :) You can stop by anytime just hit me up! Go Badgers!!!

Alpha Aquaculture
Go Badgers!!

Yes!

Do tangs need that much room?

To be honest I really don't know but I bet they would like it. I've heard of very big black tangs. I would only have the black tangs and maybe some live rock.

To be honest I really don't know but I bet they would like it. I've heard of very big black tangs. I would only have the black tangs and maybe some live rock.

Actually let me take that back. I don't think they would really like the 800g. Its nothing like the ocean and I would have to get wild caught. I have been thinking of putting the word out there that I'm looking to breed them in this situation (after the tank is all setup). I'm hoping I can get some fish that have been in captivity for a while and are used to it. Someone out there has to wish for a better home for his/her long time black tang :)

hey kris are black tangs the same as scopas tangs? if so then breeding them is gonna be pretty awesome, I love scopas tangs! once I get more room for a larger setup I'm gettin one for sure. And I guess I'll know who to call haha

Archived