Pod Your Reef

a Wisconsin Reef... my experiences in aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alpha Aquaculture
I think I know who just bought this fish lol. I want one lol. Great looking fish.

The guy who got that one lives on the east coast. It really was a beauty. I'm glad I snapped those pics :)

smitty_1280
The guy who got that one lives on the east coast. It really was a beauty. I'm glad I snapped those pics :)

I showed my wife that pic, but she doesn't like that clown as much as I do lol. I would love to get one from you when I get back in a year though if you have any lol B)

Another pair has laid for the first time today! This time its the...

CALI Vivid Percula female x JCA Picasso male

These guys are awesome!!! First time for both!!!

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/m/9I4Lme

2012-4-4-IMG_8796.jpg

Look at how big she is :)

2012-4-4-IMG_8797.jpg

2012-4-4-IMG_8798.jpg

Absolutely perfect pectoral fins on both of these!

2012-4-4-IMG_8767.jpg

2012-4-4-IMG_8765.jpg

2012-4-4-IMG_8759.jpg

2012-4-4-IMG_8766.jpg

2012-4-4-IMG_8768.jpg

just a heads up kris,once a pair starts to lay the others do to if theyre in the same broodstock system, at least here in my home thats how it worked...

Alpha Aquaculture
just a heads up kris,once a pair starts to lay the others do to if theyre in the same broodstock system, at least here in my home thats how it worked...

4 outta 10 pairs laying in that system! Two thanks to your hard work but still not bad.

buddythelion
I'm doing it one better! WYSIWYG anemones and clowns, make your own trio! I just sold my first WYSIWYG trio this morning!!! Gonna get some anemones on there by themselves so the three can be all mix and matched.

I didn't see any crazy nems on the site like the one you propagated early on in this thread.

Alpha Aquaculture
I didn't see any crazy nems on the site like the one you propagated early on in this thread.

I've got an 8 foot by 2 foot shallow tank running right now with just ultra nems. I've got maybe 10 of them in there. Not a lot lol. Its gonna be some time before I have the culture to the point of harvest. I appreciate the interest though :)

Alpha Aquaculture

Third week in a row that we have had a new pair of clowns lay eggs at Alpha Corals! This time its a pair of normal striped ocellaris that are 12 years old! This pair doesn't belong to me. The belong to the UBS bank here in Madison. I service their tank and due to some office remodeling we got the tank here for a few months. They were laying on the bottom of that 18" chalice colony but I got them to begin hosting a flower pot and now laying eggs in it. Not bad for 12 year old clowns. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks ;)

2012-4-12-IMG_8834.jpg

2012-4-12-IMG_8837.jpg

2012-4-12-IMG_8838.jpg

Alpha Aquaculture
That is awesome. I can't believe they are 12 years old lol.

I know its pretty cool. There is actually a trio of them in there. A lot of people ask me about keeping more than two clowns together and I always mention this trio.

Those are the clowns i like the old school ones.That one haqs a golden tummy

OG Ocellaris! I would bet that these guys are tank bred also. When the bank wants the tank back I am gonna cut a chunk of the flower pot out and place it under the chalice so its out of view but removable, just in case I ever need some eggs :)

Builder Anthony

lol the clownfish will like it and the people at the bank will be like why do they hang around that chalice.

Alpha Aquaculture
lol the clownfish will like it and the people at the bank will be like why do they hang around that chalice.

I think its pretty cool that in the 11 years that someone else was maintaining the tank nobody ever saw their eggs. They were laying for many of those years for sure. Now the eggs will be visible to everyone and removable also. Such a great conversation piece for their tank.

Alpha Aquaculture

Ok here is my best update ever!!!

First time ever successfully raising baby clownfish!

First ever babies almost 2 months old!!!

2012-4-12-IMG_8860.jpg

Then there are some other babies that are only 2 weeks old!

2012-4-12-IMG_8843.jpg

2012-4-12-IMG_8842.jpg

2012-4-12-IMG_8840.jpg

Check out the hatching system where these guys are growing

2012-4-12-IMG_8846.jpg

2012-4-12-IMG_8852.jpg

2012-4-12-IMG_8853.jpg

2012-4-12-IMG_8856.jpg

Let me know what you think :) I'm so proud of my babies :)

Alpha Aquaculture
Congratulations

Can you explain a bit about your hatching system it looks interesting

Thank you for looking and the kind words. The hatching system is one 15' powder coated steel stand three levels, ground, about 3' and about 6'. The bottom level has an 8' sump 2' wide. The entire 15' system is 2' wide. The mid level has the hatching tanks, 6 x 5g and 6 x 10g, 12 total. Each hatching tank is essentially a small tank in a large tank. There are channels that surround 3 of the 4 sides of each hatching tank with one viewable pane. The channels are heated so that we won't have heaters in the actual hatching tanks to burn up the babies. The walls will act as heaters. So far its working well. We would have over an 8 degree temp swing from broodstock to hatching systems at a certain time of the year without this. The 12 hatching tanks are divided up as follows. 6 x 5g tanks share one channel, 2 x 10g tanks share the second channel, 4 x 10g tanks share the third channel. This way I have some control over hatching eggs acclimated to 3 different temperatures as well as redundancy in case of heater failure. The third level finishes over 7' tall. There is a 120g on both sides with a 75g in the middle. All the hatching tanks and all the tanks on top are starphire glass with no plastic rims on the top or bottom. The system is beautiful!

2012-4-12-IMG_8852.jpg

thanks for sharing very cool and unique

Your first small system was using an ATS on the first page, did you build a bigger version to aid filtration?

Alpha Aquaculture
thanks for sharing very cool and unique

Your first small system was using an ATS on the first page, did you build a bigger version to aid filtration?

Hi! No problem! Glad to share thank you for participating. We are only using the ATS on that first system at the moment. We now have two more raceway systems each with its own ATS that is scaled up 3x for the larger system. At this time we do not have any ATS plates in those new tanks or any lights on those ATS sections. Its gonna be the exact same thing but we just gotta get around to it. Right now we don't even have lights above most of the coral tanks because we don't have enough circuits to handle all the power. An electrician friend has been working late nights for us and helping install some more circuits. I'm sure we will be tweaking our setup for many years to come. Eventually almost everything will be automated. Can't wait!!!

Archived