Coral Vue Hydros

LIB-TECH's JBJ 28g LED

LIB-TECH

Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a while now and decided to share my venture to starting my first saltwater tank. I've had a BC14 for around 6 months(bought it established) decided to go bigger and start from scratch, haha.

Should be fun!

Tank: JBJ 28g Nano LED with stand.

LR: 25~ish lbs

LS: 30lb Aragonite

Other: BRS 75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System

Love this thing, was incredibly easy to set up and was producing 0ppm TDS after an hour. No more buying water!

On the way:

InTank media rack

JBJ Nano-Glo Fuge LED

AquaC Nano Remora protein skimmer

Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper lite controller

EcoTech Marine MP10 w/ EcoSmart driver

Right after building rockscape and adding sand. Don't mind the terrible painting on the walls, still have yet to repaint, haha.

20110625184032734.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Clearing up a bit.

20110626212112172.jpg

Side shot.

20110626212120834.jpg

Now 6 days in with a some diatom/algae bloom. Plus new rockscape.

20110630161145991.jpg

Now that algae is coming in when should I add a CUC? I'm going to check all of my param's tomorrow to see what my levels are at.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool, how many watts are your LEDs?

Just the stock JBJ LED which I believe are 25x3w for daytime, Dawn/Dusk 4x3w, and 2x1w for the moon lights.

Lib-tech, do you snowboard?

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say something, lol. Turns out, not that long.

Yeah I do, ride a Lib-Tech(obviously) haha. You?

I'm out on vacation at the moment so no new updates on the tank, I'm looking forward to see how much algae has grown when I get back tomorrow, lol.

Well checked my params this morning, here is where I sit.

SG: 1.024

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 0

Phos: 0

PH: 8.3

dKH: 12(Could be related to low calcium?)

Cal: 340

Should I start dosing Calcium?

I did a 20% water change and got a CUC.

10 Scarlet hermits

3 Torchus

4 Margarita

4 Nassarius

10 Ceriths

I'll get some pics up tomorrow when I steal my roomates DSLR, haha.

Got in some goodies...

20110709003558237.jpg

20110709005050929.jpg

Thanks to InTank for everything!

Installed all the new stuff and transferred everything from my old BC14 to the new tank. I'm having trouble with my maxi-jet 1200 on the protein skimmer. I feel like it doesn't sit low enough in the chamber for the intake. I feel with any evaporation it could lead to a burnt out pump, haha. Anyone with experience on this? If not I'll just add some extra tubing between the pump and skimmer to sit lower.

I'll get some pics of the tank set up tomorrow, not looking bare anymore!

20110710161534603.jpg

FTS, I promise better pics next time, not phone ones. Now the hard part......deciding what fish I want. Any suggestions?

What I'm thinking:

Flame angel

Blennie?

Wrasse? (McCoskers or mystery)

Great start to your tank. I have a lot of the same equipment, so if you want to see how I set it all up, check out my thread.

Good luck to you.

Looks Awesome so far! I've considered an angel too. I think that they are more of a high maintanence fish. A tribal blenny would be awesome. Good fish list!

Looks Awesome so far! I've considered an angel too. I think that they are more of a high maintanence fish. A tribal blenny would be awesome. Good fish list!

Thanks!

Here are a few updates:

Got my RKL

Picked up a refractometer

MP10 Should be in late next week

Some new livestock

Fan Worn I got for $15 at the LFS

20110716182340732.jpg

Mystery Wrasse

20110716182613854.jpg

20110716182619581.jpg

Deleted User 4

Cool, nice looking mystery wrasse, dude I got that same coco worm (3of them) for $54....lol you got a good deal.

Cool, nice looking mystery wrasse, dude I got that same coco worm (3of them) for $54....lol you got a good deal.

I actually saw your thread with yours in it before I bought mine, thought it looked really nice. Went to the LFS the next day and sure enough they had one, couldn't afford not too. The mystery wrasse is finally settling into the tank. Was hiding in the LR for the first few days, now he's very active and darting around.

Excited for my MP10 to come so I can get rid of that eye sore Koralia powerhead out of there, lol.

Look what I got.......Teaser. I'm going to the LFS tomorrow, I'll put some new shots up tomorrow.

20110718184935882.jpg

Any coral suggestions for the middle left rock? Looking bare on that side.

RattlerSkin

So what is your livestock list as of now? Great looking tank so far, just got my 28g LED through its cycle about two weeks ago, have some great growth on my rocks and added my first occelaris clown last week. It's pretty empty and I am encouraged to add coral after seeing what you have in there so early.

So what is your livestock list as of now? Great looking tank so far, just got my 28g LED through its cycle about two weeks ago, have some great growth on my rocks and added my first occelaris clown last week. It's pretty empty and I am encouraged to add coral after seeing what you have in there so early.

Most of the stuff I had in early was from my old BC14 because I had found a buyer right away.

What I transferred over:

Pulsing Xenia

Hammer

Orange plate

Torch

2 mushrooms

Green eye polyp

GBTA

What I've picked up since:

Fire & Ice

Whammin Watermelons

GSP

Duncan (today)

Acan (today)

Birds nest(first SPS!) Ca is steady at 440, dKH at 9, Mag around 1300

Fish:

Occ clown

Mystery Wrasse

Iverts:

Fire/blood shrimp

Emerald crab

CUC

I believe that's it. I didnt have time for pics today, tomorrow I will spend some time getting pics of everything!

i love the scape you have i am actually picking up a 28 nano tomorrow and its going to be my first sw tank.....dont hate me if i jack your scape lol.......looking forward for more pics

i love the scape you have i am actually picking up a 28 nano tomorrow and its going to be my first sw tank.....dont hate me if i jack your scape lol.......looking forward for more pics

Nice! LED? I like my scape, I don't love it though, haha. It worked with what shapes and rock I had, created a very nice cave in the middle for the shrimp /fish. If I were to do it again it would be more minimal. Go right ahead if you want to use it as a reference.

No pic updates today unfortunately. I'm house sitting for my parents while they are on vacation and I didn't have time to get back to my place. Hopefully in the next coming days!

Took 2 pics until I can grab a real camera to take some half decent shots, haha.

Everything is looking happy, except for the plate coral. It's starting to bleach, I've noticed the blood shrimp is taking any possible food from it. I'm going to try feeding it twice a week and keep the shrimp away. Any advice?

New Acan

20110722185207953.jpg

Also picked up something...

20110725172410771.jpg

Doing great so far. I can see it's been nipping at the torch coral a tiny bit. Haven't seen it do it since the first couple days I've had him, so hopefully it works out.

Thoughts on SPS placement? I was at the LFS when a few employees had just come back from trying to save a persons cracked tank. Seeing an opportunity for cheap corals I asked if they were selling anything for cheap. They offered the sps at $5 a frag, decided to give it a shot. I would appreciate any ID on them. I've been searching but being new to sps I've had no luck. The bad camera and white LED's wash the color a lot. The middle one is a nice pastel yellow color, and then the purple one higher up.

Hey LIB-TECH,

I also have a the 28g LED Advanced, (up and running since the end of May) and I've got SPS in similar placements, but I'm having a terrible time getting them to extend polyps. :/ I don't know if it's because my clown goby keeps pestering them (dubious) or if they don't have enough flow (likely) or if they're over-lit (also dubious.) No loss of color, but no growth and no polyp extension for about 2 weeks now. I'm running the stock pumps, but looking to upgrade next month (any advice welcome!)

How are your SPS faring so far? Also, where did you stick the skimmer and what sort of filtration do you have going? I'm debating a skimmer; with water changes weekly I haven't had an issue, but I do see a few sprouts of bryopsis in my tank (my fault for not dipping coral...) and I can't decide if I need to upgrade the media basket or add a skimmer.

Hey LIB-TECH,

I also have a the 28g LED Advanced, (up and running since the end of May) and I've got SPS in similar placements, but I'm having a terrible time getting them to extend polyps. :/ I don't know if it's because my clown goby keeps pestering them (dubious) or if they don't have enough flow (likely) or if they're over-lit (also dubious.) No loss of color, but no growth and no polyp extension for about 2 weeks now. I'm running the stock pumps, but looking to upgrade next month (any advice welcome!)

How are your SPS faring so far? Also, where did you stick the skimmer and what sort of filtration do you have going? I'm debating a skimmer; with water changes weekly I haven't had an issue, but I do see a few sprouts of bryopsis in my tank (my fault for not dipping coral...) and I can't decide if I need to upgrade the media basket or add a skimmer.

Nice! Do you have a build thread?

I've also noticed a lack of polyp extension, besides the middle SPS which has good extension the other 2 I've noticed very little. The birds nest has new growth on it, but minimal polyp extension. The purple one wasn't the healthiest piece when I bought it, figuring it would be a good way to test out what I can do to improve my tank in anyway. I've considered dosing some Zeovit products, maybe I will start in the next week or two if nothing changes.

I would leave the stock pumps personally for now and just go with the mp10. This thing is really as good as everyone says it is, lol. My fish/corals are loving all the extra flow.

My skimmer is HOB on the left side, pump being in the furthest left chamber, with the return being in the 2nd to the left with some overflow into the pump side. I know skimmers aren't necessarily needed on nano's but I would like to go down more of an SPS dominated tank down the line, so I figured why not. Done a good job so far.

I bought an InTank media basket for stevieT(mediabaskets.com) on this site, way improved over stock. I have filter floss on top, purigen, and then chemi-pure elite. I want to add cheato if I can find some locally.

I do not have a built thread, though I probably should. I have trouble with the LEDs on my droid's camera. For quick specs, I'm running the 28g LED Advanced, it's my third salt water build, and everything is stock so far. I've got 2 tiny false percs (Mario an Peach), a yellow clown goby (Toad), a long spine urchin, an emerald crab, a really annoying serpant star (hitchiker b*stard who just ate my yasha goby! Jerk!). I have 2 SPS, a variety of LPS, a ton of zoas and palys, and some mushrooms and rics. I'll throw more infor and pics up when I do a build. :)

Keep me posted on your SPS. I saw great growth and extension initially on my SPS but about 4 weeks ago, things just stopped and my acans and micromusa started RTN. I stopped the loss with an iodine dip, but no new growth yet. I'm waiting another week or so to try another dip, but I'm not sure it's worth it if they haven't healed better at that point. I'm assuming it's bacterial because nothing else suffered; the blastoma is peachy - but no extension. I do a 5g water change weekly, and my levels are all fine. I'm hoping flow fixes the problem.

That's really good to know about the MP10. I can do one of those or replace both pumps for the same money when you consider pump size/quality/silence x2. Where do you have yours positioned?

I think skimmers are good on nanos; I had the healthiest system with a 30g and a CPR backback. I may end up modifying things to make it fit on the back, if I can't sell it. How do you like the remora? I found the CPR needed constant cleaning when I had it on my 55g.

I'll have to check on the mediabasket too, because the stock is absurdly undersized. Water goes right over the top. :/ I'm running chemipure elite, purigen, and cheato. The LED grow light is outstanding! I just put it on the timer to run with the moonlights, and never worry. I've pruned it twice now to make it fit. It comes out of the basket in a green curly cube, covered in pods. I'm up in north Idaho, but if you want me to mail you some next pruning, drop me a PM. I got mine 3 day mail in a baggie, and it's doing just fine. As expensive as this hobby is, and as something I end up just throwing away, it's yours if you want it.

I do not have a built thread, though I probably should. I have trouble with the LEDs on my droid's camera. For quick specs, I'm running the 28g LED Advanced, it's my third salt water build, and everything is stock so far. I've got 2 tiny false percs (Mario an Peach), a yellow clown goby (Toad), a long spine urchin, an emerald crab, a really annoying serpant star (hitchiker b*stard who just ate my yasha goby! Jerk!). I have 2 SPS, a variety of LPS, a ton of zoas and palys, and some mushrooms and rics. I'll throw more infor and pics up when I do a build. :)

Keep me posted on your SPS. I saw great growth and extension initially on my SPS but about 4 weeks ago, things just stopped and my acans and micromusa started RTN. I stopped the loss with an iodine dip, but no new growth yet. I'm waiting another week or so to try another dip, but I'm not sure it's worth it if they haven't healed better at that point. I'm assuming it's bacterial because nothing else suffered; the blastoma is peachy - but no extension. I do a 5g water change weekly, and my levels are all fine. I'm hoping flow fixes the problem.

That's really good to know about the MP10. I can do one of those or replace both pumps for the same money when you consider pump size/quality/silence x2. Where do you have yours positioned?

I think skimmers are good on nanos; I had the healthiest system with a 30g and a CPR backback. I may end up modifying things to make it fit on the back, if I can't sell it. How do you like the remora? I found the CPR needed constant cleaning when I had it on my 55g.

I'll have to check on the mediabasket too, because the stock is absurdly undersized. Water goes right over the top. :/ I'm running chemipure elite, purigen, and cheato. The LED grow light is outstanding! I just put it on the timer to run with the moonlights, and never worry. I've pruned it twice now to make it fit. It comes out of the basket in a green curly cube, covered in pods. I'm up in north Idaho, but if you want me to mail you some next pruning, drop me a PM. I got mine 3 day mail in a baggie, and it's doing just fine. As expensive as this hobby is, and as something I end up just throwing away, it's yours if you want it.

Yeah I will, hopefully they start having great polyp extension/color soon, haha.

My MP10 is positioned about middle of the tank, 1/3 of the way down. Seems to give the best flow everywhere in that position.

The remora has been good so far, it is a little noisy at times but there is a quick fix to that which solved the problem. It's been pulling a decent skimmate since the first week, no complaints so far.

That would be awesome! Except for that I live in Canada, I'm not 100% sure if you can ship anything live across the border(anyone know for sure?).

Archived