Top Shelf Aquatics

75 Gallon Tank Stocking Help

seabeesreef

seabeesreef

Hello all,

I have a 75 gallon reef tank it has been up and running for 10 months. It has like 100 lbs LR and my stock is as follows:

Fish:

Blue spotted goby w snapping shrimp

Foxface rabbitfish (saved him from a friends tank)

two false percs

Corals:

Hammer coral

Frogspawn

Kenya tree

Various zoas

Please help suggest other corals and fish I should keep. I am looking to make my tank much more colorful. I have 2 AI superblue LEDs.

Thanks for your help.

Ooorah.

Brooklyngal

a 75g is on the smaller side for a foxface- they get pretty big, and produce quite a bit of waste. personally, I'd try to catch and remove it, but you probably could get away with it in there.

wrasses would be a good choice- the smaller halichoeres spp. (yellow coris, chritmas, hoeven's) are great fish, flasher wrasses too would work and add a lot of color to the tank, so would the smaller fairy wrasses.

dartfish might be a good fit, like zebra barred darts and scissortails, both of which can be kept in pairs/small groups. firefish too would probably work.

talbot's and yellowtail damsels are great little fish as well, so long as they're added last. unlike other damsels they dont get too aggressive, and will typically leave tankmates alone, even after they're established. chromis are also great fish; you could try a small group, though they do sometimes widdle themselves down to one or two.

royal grammas and the more peaceful basses like chalk basses, as well as basslets would all be good choices as well. the more peaceful dottybacks (NOT the clear-finned ones; I'm talking orchids, striped, indigo, etc) would work too, but probably would to better if not kept with any sort of wrasse.

IMO, having something to perch in the rockwork is nice. any of the blennies would be compatible, save for the not-so-reef-safe leopard wrasse, and some Ecsenius spp. blennies (mostly bicolors) have been known to nip at fleshy LPS and clam mantles, although most (ie, tailspots) are safe. less aggressive hawkfish would work too, so long as you dont have any shirmp and dont mind possibly losing shrimp if you have them. flame, longnose, falco hawks are all good choices, but the other species are probably too aggressive.

so long as you dont mind the risk to your corals, dwarf angels are great fish too. coral beauties are my favorite, personally- they're pretty much as reef-safe as you can find, arent as aggressive as some of the others like argis and flames, and are very colorful fish.

seabeesreef

Brooklyn,

Thank you so much for responding to me! I don't get much luck on these boards. I truly appreciate the help.

-Jon

In my 75 I have a blackcap basslett. One clown. One kole tang. One blue spotted goby keeps sand super clean. A tailspot blenny. A purple firefish and some kind of fairy / flasher wrasse. All are great fish if you get a wrasse get a cover. They are jumpers. I like to keep my fish small. As for corals you can do just about anything. Do you just have blue leds ? Are there any white bulbs? I have just softies and lps. I run a 5 bulb t5 fixture. If you want check out my thread. Hope this helps a little.:0)

animalmaster6

This tank is large enough to have small tangs. Maybe some fairy and flasher wrasses could add color to the tank.

I like assessors. Yellow and Blue Assessors can be kept in groups. Cardinalfish add lots of movement to the tank. Royal Grammas are cool. Possum wrasses are really interesting.

You could think about adding more gobies or blennies.

Zoas add lots of color. Maybe add some more of those?

• 5 years later...

​I know I am a bit of a over-stocker but I also have two protein skimmers in a giant refugium, but in my 85 gallon I have a clown tang, hippo tang, lawnmower blenny, blue spotted puffer, 2 engineer gobies, a flame angel, a sailfin tang, a skunk tile goby, a diamond goby, a firefish, and a few colonies of polyps. In my opinion I think you may be able to get away with a yellow tang or some wrasses like the six line wrasse or maybe even some basslets such as the royal gramma and possibly blenny or two, however I prefer the convict blennies. I wish you much luck with your tank and please keep us updated

You could do:

Kole tang

Tomini tang

Yellow tang

(Only 1 tang)

Wrasses are cool

Purple firefish are very pretty

Royal gramma basslet

Yellowhead jawfish or a blue spot jawfish

Archived