Innovative Marine Aquariums

The biggest HOB fuge EVER

kgoldy

Holy awesome, batman :D, I'm super impressed! I wish I had those fine craftsmanship skills, wow! Have you tested it out yet? From the looks of it, I'm guessing no, but who knows what could have happened since you took those pics :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kgoldy

• uglybuckling

• Dizzle21

• Dakarta

Holy awesome, batman :D, I'm super impressed! I wish I had those fine craftsmanship skills, wow! Have you tested it out yet? From the looks of it, I'm guessing no, but who knows what could have happened since you took those pics :)

Thanks for the compliments. BTW- for those who may not have noticed- the acrylic I used doesn't like typical drill bits. The plan was to make two pilot holes then cut a thin slit with a jigsaw for the "waterfall" part... But at a certain point while drilling, the bit heated enough to fall right through the acrylic- then it cooled and got stuck in there. Before I do any more drilling with acrylic, I really need to do some research.

Anyway-

I ran my garden hose on full blast through this thing to test for leaks.... Dumped it over to pour it out (to test flexibility/fragility) and fixed the leaky baffle. Beyond that, there's been no testing. What I anticipate from running water through this is there will be bubbles in the display because of the return, and a fair amount of salt creep in that area- possibly on my LED fixture. We'll see how things go when I hook it up to the tank.

I'm using an Ehiem 1262 for my return pump which has seemed to be serious overkill- so I'm going to T off of that and control the output to the fuge with a ball valve... I expect that I should end up with just enough flow through both my regular return and the HOB fuge.

In 10-15 yrs kgoldy will have cured AIDS & cancer, solved world hunger,and fixed the hole in the ozone layer. After that he will ascend into the ether..WATCH!

Edited by Soopa1

That will be cool when inTank makes a "media basket" for it.....

Nah, I just kidding.That thing is awesome.

Edited by herranton
In 10-15 yrs kgoldy will have cured AIDS & cancer, solved world hunger,and fixed the hole in the ozone layer. After that he will ascend into the ether..WATCH!

Finding a cure for water changes is all I want to accomplish in life. ;)

001.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Wait... what's this?? Frag city?!

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

Carbon in first chamber. Bye bye, brand new BRS Delux Reactor I didn't even unwrap yet... -_-

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

054.jpg

So I ordered a bunch of reef stuff from three different places, and it's coming in the opposite order I intended...

1- Dr Foster and Smith (substrate for the fuge)..... lost my entire order.

2- Reef Cleaners (Macros for fuge).... had to ship a day late because I'm a pain in the ass and order oddball stuff

3- Mr Coral (bagillion frags for display).... I was expecting them tomorrow, the whole Monday off thing messed me up.

So, I'm making the best of it and using the fuge as a frag tank to let the corals acclimate to the water and mild lighting before moving them into my display.

Exciting day for the HOB fuge. It moved on from being a frag tank to becoming a mangrove/oargrass/scroll algae mud pit.

I unfortunately found out the hard way that Walt Smith's Figi Mud is no joke- and should be added BEFORE your aragonite. The stuff is silt- real, genuine mud. In time, theoretically larger particles will rise as sand stirring inverts move around... But if that happens, it's going to take a really, really long time. I did everything I could for about a half hour to try to mix it in with the oolite to make up the DSB- but most of it just settled on top as a sort of under-water quicksand. The porcelain crabs seem to love it though- I got 5 with my order today, and made this their home. Yeah, they're counter productive because they'll eat the same stuff that this fuge should be feeding my corals... But I like them, so I got em and put em somewhere that they can't hide from me. :happy: My porcelain and pom-poms are spotted once every 2 months at best in my display tank.

So, pic time.

F&S order that was supposedly lost in the mail showed up today, boxes beat to hell... Everything inside survived, although one bag of oolite was leaking.

ReefCleanersDay003.jpg

ReefCleanersDay005.jpg

ReefCleanersDay008.jpg

ReefCleanersDay011.jpg

Ordered both of these so I could find out the difference, compare, and review...

ReefCleanersDay045.jpg

ReefCleanersDay043.jpg

ReefCleanersDay046.jpg

ReefCleanersDay047.jpg

Scroll Algae

ReefCleanersDay067.jpg

Porcelain crabbies

ReefCleanersDay061.jpg

ReefCleanersDay060.jpg

Mangrove propagules (sp?)

ReefCleanersDay074.jpg

Rinsed oolite went in first... Big mistake. Creates roughly a 4-5 inch sandbed.

ReefCleanersDay086.jpg

ReefCleanersDay087.jpg

ReefCleanersDay088.jpg

Then goes the Miracle Mud...

ReefCleanersDay089.jpg

Then I open this to find a bag of silt... and realize I effed up.

ReefCleanersDay090.jpg

ReefCleanersDay091.jpg

One mild flood (didn't take X gallons of water out to compensate for X gallons of sand and mud), about an hour of panicking to try to dry my floors and find the outlet that got wet and tripped my GFCI... And all is done.

ReefCleanersDay092.jpg

ReefCleanersDay093.jpg

ReefCleanersDay094.jpg

ReefCleanersDay095.jpg

ReefCleanersDay096.jpg

ReefCleanersDay097.jpg

ReefCleanersDay098.jpg

Water should clear in about 5 years. fingerscrossed

Is that stunner strip gonna be strong enough for the macros??

Couldn't you have unplugged the hob to allow settling so it wouldn't have clouded you dt?

Is that stunner strip gonna be strong enough for the macros??

Couldn't you have unplugged the hob to allow settling so it wouldn't have clouded you dt?

The stunner strip may be strong enough, but honestly, I don't know. At 4 inches from the sandbed, I'm hoping it's strong enough.

The clouding came from overflow, pumps were off.

Hmmm... So I'm no longer building anything with this project... Should I have it moved it to the macro forum, or start a new one?

While I decide- update time.

The LED strip seems to be bright enough to support macros. I'm leaving it on 24/7 because it doubles as a moon light. Sure, stuff doesn't glow, but it really looks like the moon over a reef in the main tank now. My camera skill still suck, so I have trouble capturing what it actually looks like in person.

017.jpg

018.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

I think the last pic is a pretty accurate representation.^ It's dark enough that all the corals "go to sleep".

One crabby likes the intake by the carbon.

041.jpg

Temporarily put a piece of acrylic to stop the water from stirring up the mud... I replaced this with chaeto after I remembered the 10 lbs of extra I had. Haha

042.jpg

Chaeto is also at the exit before the baffle

043.jpg

Looks pretty sweet now that the water cleared. I'm just hoping there's enough current to support the potato algae in there.

044.jpg

045.jpg

Grass is looking kind of pathetic... Hopefully the mud and slow current allows it to grow stronger and spread throughout the fuge.

046.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

Macro video sucks at night. Still learning...

th_049.jpg

• 1 month later...

Top layer is livesand I got from generous local reefers. Layer below is silt that formed from the Walt Smith's Figi mud.

037.jpg

Zigzag periwinkles from ReefCleaners.

038.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

070.jpg

071.jpg

Got one 36" and one 48" 12k White Stunner Strip on there now, just added the reflectors too. It's pretty obvious just from looking that the PAR (or at least light intensity) is doubled with the reflectors.

072.jpg

073.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

Hopefully the reflectors help dissipate some of the heat from these things... The mangroves are growing into them and getting a little toasted. Also- I took up the habit of spraying the mangroves down with fresh water once in a while... Within a week I noticed a significant increase in their rate of growth.

076.jpg

Pic dump.

074.jpg

Check out them leaves! Turns out if you follow the instructions provided by ReefCleaners, your mangroves will actually grow! Haha. The first batch were nearly murdered by salt for 6 months... A little spray down with RO water once every few days makes a HUGE difference.

075.jpg

076.jpg

I'll be honest I hate the dimensions of the standard 90, BUT this tank is amazing bro the creativity is awesome and having 2 viewable planted areas, masterpiece. One of the most inventiv I've seen

• 1 month later...

KG, nice additional fuge man!

Probably the thing that impresses me most about this whole build is that each section is different. The main tank is a classic reef tank, the sump has filtration chambers as well as a display fuge with a rock wall, and then you add this semi-HOB fuge with a DSB and mangroves...

The next most impressive part is probably your ambition in all the macro algae... It's everywhere, diverse, and from the pics looks healthy!

Good job keep updating every once in a while, hopefully everything goes well.

KG, nice additional fuge man!

Probably the thing that impresses me most about this whole build is that each section is different. The main tank is a classic reef tank, the sump has filtration chambers as well as a display fuge with a rock wall, and then you add this semi-HOB fuge with a DSB and mangroves...

The next most impressive part is probably your ambition in all the macro algae... It's everywhere, diverse, and from the pics looks healthy!

Good job keep updating every once in a while, hopefully everything goes well.

+1

• 2 weeks later...