Cultivated Reef

Justice's 12g of Splasssh!

Justice

No, no CO2.

Laurencia from Reefcleaners. I love the color and the look of it, but I will be taking it out as I don't want this to happen again. It put a major stall on my tank.

I need some lighting advise/suggestions. I have plans to add mangroves to the tank. I will suspend them from an acrylic bar that will go across the top of the tank. My problem is that my current T5 fixture hangs over the tank. I'm looking for different lighting options that would work for what I'm trying to do. I guess my only choices are the hang something from the ceiling (which would be hard given the tank location) or some type of clamp on fixture. Any input would be great.

Hmm, well at least you know you were providing a good environment for the macros hehe. I had some in my tank in a small clump but it never did that. Of course I had a massive amount of macros in there competing for resources. Most it did was somehow colonize a powerhead.

As far as lighting I think those round ceiling fixtures that swivel would be the best course if you plan on growing them really tall, but if that's the case I don't know that I'd recommend them in such a small space. I'd get a larger tank if you plan on having a large clump of mangroves in your home.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welllllll, I pretty much had to restart the tank, during which I almost just took everything down. I decided though that I wouldn't let this defeat me. Lol.

What I had to do;

1. Remove all rock

2. Vacuum the sand to remove the algae that spread to it

3. Removed all my macro

4. Tried to salvage the macro, but the "death" macro actually spread and attached to other macros and I couldn't get it off them, so I had to toss almost all my macro. :angry: :angry:

5. Then I added new sand, which I'm not sure that I like 100% but my Vortech won't blow it around. Hopefully it will grow on me as it's in the tank and I'm not changing it. Lol

So after all that I now only have two macros left. I also put in new rock as I couldn't get all the macro off the other and didn't want to take any chances. I didn't use as much rock, but I still like the look. I may add a tad bit more, but I'm not sure.

I'll be placing a large order from somewhere to recoup what I've lost so stay tuned!

Poor sad tank. It's still a little cloudy.

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

drunkenmonk21

Thats too bad you had to go through all that, I would of let it grow I can get a bit lazy sometimes lol.

It looked better then the green slime I got growing on my rocks :P

sorry to hear about the mishap. That laurencia is pretty invasive sometimes. It looks as though were on the same level of progression with our macro tanks now. I just broke down my FW tank and currently have LR and the sandbed down...I should be putting macros in soon.

Yoshi- Awesome read about the study on the halymenia, Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much going on with the tank as I'm waiting on certain macros to be in stock. I was at a LFS today and saw a small little mandarin that I liked, but I knew I wouldn't be able to provide enough food so I didn't bother. Well, the owner came over and fed the tank some mysis to show another customer that the mystery wrasse was eating. I was very surprised the see the little mandarin attacking and eating the mysis! So here is my new fish "Smoochie"

IMG_0184.jpg

• 6 months later...
Did you ever get this back up and going? How is "Smoochie" doing :D

also very curious to see what's become of this tank

• 2 weeks later...
Not too much going on with the tank as I'm waiting on certain macros to be in stock. I was at a LFS today and saw a small little mandarin that I liked, but I knew I wouldn't be able to provide enough food so I didn't bother. Well, the owner came over and fed the tank some mysis to show another customer that the mystery wrasse was eating. I was very surprised the see the little mandarin attacking and eating the mysis! So here is my new fish "Smoochie"

IMG_0184.jpg

I have a mandarin named Sir Smoochies, The Second! (The original smoochies decided he wanted to take a vacation on the floor of the living room :( ) Congrats on the new addition. Looking forward to seeing your tank come back to life!

Archived