ReefCleaners.org

Pearls of the Antilles...

lljdma06

Looks great I want to see the shoal of Chalk Bass!!

I want to see them too. But first, I've got a nice Caribbean CUC from Reefcleaners sitting in a box on my bed that need to be acclimated. Then I have to affix corals & perhaps macro algae, then get the chalk bass. It'll take a few more weeks I'm sure. Target is Christmas to have chalk bass.

Jawfish settled nicely,btw. I need to feed them their mysis tonight.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, this tank is going to be awesome. Should have known your planted skills would come in handy here =0)

It's nice to have skills. I have to clean the tank this weekend.

That's a nice build Liz & well thought out. I've been wanting to do something like this for quite some time. I noticed on the first page you wanted to put carribean zoas/palys in here. More specifically, grandis palys. These things seems like the hardest things to find. Any luck for you down in Miami? They're so nice, but slow growers.

Thanks,

Pat

That's a nice build Liz & well thought out. I've been wanting to do something like this for quite some time. I noticed on the first page you wanted to put carribean zoas/palys in here. More specifically, grandis palys. These things seems like the hardest things to find. Any luck for you down in Miami? They're so nice, but slow growers.

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Pat! Haha, I JUST finished working with this tank. I've been securring macro-algae with epoxy. I also have some nice Ricordea florida mini colonies. I'd still like some palys, but I haven't been actively searching for them yet. There are a few websites that deal exclusively with Caribbean species that I may look at. Right now, I'd love the chalk bass.

Ok, I epoxied the macro to the rock and the Ricordea florida.

Now, this'll kill your neck to watch but here are the jawfish in action...

th_32ff9373.jpg

Now for some tank shots...

8c3984f9.jpg

7dfeae77.jpg

7411b21b.jpg

b0e1c5ca.jpg

b2ab3694.jpg

b57e0e31.jpg

Under actinics

2bd004fd.jpg

6d98ddf8.jpg

Another jawfish video because I think they are super awesome!

th_bbdb6be5.jpg

Seriously guys, the next step is to get chalk bass. I already see roots in the substrate.

Thanks for looking,

L

I saw these at Aquatic Warehouse in San Diego and thought of this tank.

photo.JPG

:). They would look so much better in my tank, wouldn't they?

L

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what arrived at the LFS?

3 chalk bass, I need one more though

e553bd04.jpg

I'm excited, they're eating like pigs

Updated tank shots

0bc69cfb.jpg

aac5dde9.jpg

28d72ebd.jpg

And videos...

th_2cd962ec.jpg

And you may be wondering what those antennae are? I have a mated pair of Coral banded shrimp (Stenopus hispidus). There is the smaller golden banded coral shrimp which is Caribbean but the standard coral banded is also found in the Caribbean, and that is where this pair was sourced. :) They are elegant and splendid to look at. They are fed mysis along with my jawfish.

th_6d5f2a7b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

L

• 3 weeks later...
Did you get your bass in the tank yet??

No, two of the four died at the LFS, & the owner won't get them in again until after the new year. :( I need four & for the shoal to work, I need to add them at the same time.

my one of my chalk basslets jumped last week :tears:

great fish (:

One actually jumped in the LFS. It stinks having to wait for more to come in. I've got a tight lid in this tank, jawfish need it, so I doubt I'll lose any to jumping. It's just waiting for them. I've been wanting these fish for a long time. :(

Just think I'm having some bad luck trying to get this species. In the mean time, I got more Ricordea Florida. The tanks looking good.

You have a great tank going. I very much like Caribbean tanks. A lot more potential diversity and beauty than many give them credit for!

You may want to contact Tom for a line on chalk bass. He may very well have what you are looking for and you're so close it wouldn't be much for shipping (fish stress or cost)

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Wow that's a LOT of pics.

Hehe, yeah. :)

Time for more pictures. It's been almost a month. Sorry, this is with my camera phone. I'll get better ones later with my HD camera.

There has certainly been some growth...

Before

28d72ebd.jpg

After

65e1bc69.jpg

I'm getting to the point where I really need to think about pruning the Halomeda. But I'm kinda scared. :look: I need to ask a few people how to do this.

818d1ef8.jpg

44e0c86f.jpg

Some Halomeda discoidea

97d64068.jpg

e42db874.jpg

The shoal grass is doing ok. I lost some of it to over enthusiastic hermit crabs and burrowing fish and other animals. What's securely anchored though is showing new growth and I trust eventually it'll spread. It's also getting taller.

ca38396c.jpg

The Florida ricordea are doing extremely well. I've had two spits already and the pieces are finding rocks to attach too. I'd like to expand the corals to include St. thomas mushrooms and some grandis polyps as those are Caribbean, If I can find bulls eye zoas for the top half, that would be sweet. Those are a Florida Keys zoanthid.

97adec01.jpg

523f2388.jpg

28594837.jpg

Finally, it looks like I got me another macro algae. I know I didn't order this. Hehehe It looks like either Chondria or Ochtodes, but I'd love some confirmation.

32a7330e.jpg

6df8e189.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'm still waiting on my chalk bass. I'm down to one at the local fish store, so basically I've asked her for 5, which I'll then quarantine at home. I also want to add more shoal grass, now that I'm much better at planting it, but I'm running into the problem that everything is now out of season, so I won't be getting any for a while. In the meantime, I'll fix what I've planted so far and hope that the stuff spreads a bit.

L

Your Halimeda is growing great! Do you find it tough to maintain calcium and alkalinity with that much growth? They suck it out of the water like a sponge!

You may have seen this article but if not then you will enjoy it.

Your Halimeda is growing great! Do you find it tough to maintain calcium and alkalinity with that much growth? They suck it out of the water like a sponge!

You may have seen this article but if not then you will enjoy it.

I actually did read that article to see if they had anything on pruning. They didn't, but they do have a link that I can follow and maybe I'll get more information there. I also posted a topic in the macro algae section here, and hopefully somebody will see it and post.

Haha, glad to know it's growing great. I've never had a planted Marine before, so I had no idea what to expect with regard to growth rates.

Right now, I've not had problems maintaining my Ca or alk levels, but I do larger, more frequent water changes. I'm due to check my levels again, though.

Thanks for the compliment

L

I've heard it doesn't like pruning (or maybe just excessive pruning) but you can try a "tester" just use one, pull off some strands and see how it does?

I've heard it doesn't like pruning (or maybe just excessive pruning) but you can try a "tester" just use one, pull off some strands and see how it does?

Well, we had trial by fire on Sunday...

Ok, so while I was at church on Sunday, some of my Halimeda decides to go sexual.

This is what it looks like...

6eba1c54.jpg

EWWWWWW!!!, so I yank it out of the tank, and then clip the rest of the Halimeda. Clipping and pruning, from what I've actually read, stops the process. With work and performing, I had not gotten around to it.

LOLOL, I've got bits of Halimeda everywhere now. It's sad, but I haven't seen anything go sexual since.

1a9b7f55.jpg

Fish are fine, corals are actually doing great.

L

I should have mentioned in my last post so you wouldn't have stressed about it; that I pinch it out all the time with my fingers, doesn't seem to bother it.

I should have mentioned in my last post so you wouldn't have stressed about it; that I pinch it out all the time with my fingers, doesn't seem to bother it.

Thanks for reassuring me. I took my pruning shears to it and it's so far ok. I really need to get rid of cuttings though or replant them.

:)

I'll post decent tank pictures once I reattach the loose cuttings.

L

Archived