Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zer0's 25G Trimless LED Cube

Zer0

No what I meant was that instead of cutting teeth out of the overflow box, I would just drill a series of holes around the box. Does that make more sense? Also, I drilled the return line pretty close to the top so there should be minimal drainback when the return pump cuts out.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drilled the return line pretty close to the top
Yes you did. :)

Teeth are more standard because they allow for higher flow rates, but if your flow rate is low and the water is still allowed to flow over the top (if it needs to), holes should be fine.

hmm im having a little trouble. i dont want the water to flow over the top of the overflow box, so i drilled holes in the overflow box, thinking it would act the same as if teeth were cut out... but its not. is it because the holes i drilled are too small?

More than likely. What size did you use? You can probably just use those holes as pilot holes and drill larger ones. I'm thinking at least a 1/4" bit.

Thanks seabass! I figured that was the problem. I made some adjustments and everything works perfectly now! More pictures later tonight!

I can't wait to see that tank in action, it's gonna be awesome. :) It's got such a clean and sleek look to it with that stand... :wub:

Subscribed!

what? cats are creepy.

:o You're weird.

oh playing the wrong team :lol: android :P

Hahaha I know! My parents and all my freinds have droids lol. I had to do something a little different, and I can't say I'm disappointed. The iPhone 4G happens to be amazing lol.

I can't wait to see that tank in action, it's gonna be awesome. :) It's got such a clean and sleek look to it with that stand... :wub:

Subscribed!

:o You're weird.

Hey thanks Blackbird! I'm really excited too! I really think I put more effort in to this tank. Plus, I have a little more experience this time around because of all the previous tanks I've built. :)

Thanks for tagging along!

A couple pictures of the tank with the overflow box that works perfectly! I know it looks a little rough, but It was all I could freehand with my dremel. It's really hard to freehand with that thing going all over the place! Even when I really try hard to keep it still.

Blah blah blah:

img0032ns.jpg

img0034dh.jpg

More pictures later tonight once I get the light tree completed, and the tank moved to its final location. :)

It's probably possible to cut the overflow down to that size using a fine tooth saw. Also, you could finish cutting it with the Dremel and use a sanding block to straighten the cuts. IDK, just a couple of thoughts. The tank just looks so nice that I wouldn't want the overflow to detract from it.

Hmm, what size are you talking about? I think that if I cut the overflow box anymore, the water line won't sit at 1/2" below the lip anymore. :( Which is what I'm really more worried about.

If it works for you, that's cool. I'm not implying that it looks bad, because I think it looks fine as is. Plus, as water is flowing through it, you won't even see the edges.

My thought was to just cut the rest of the overflow down to the level you have already cut it. Plus, that would make it easier to sand straight.

Just tossing ideas out there. I'm looking forward to seeing it aquascaped and filled with water. :)

If it works for you, that's cool. I'm not implying that it looks bad, because I think it looks fine as is. Plus, as water is flowing through it, you won't even see the edges.

My thought was to just cut the rest of the overflow down to the level you have already cut it. Plus, that would make it easier to sand straight.

Just tossing ideas out there. I'm looking forward to seeing it aquascaped and filled with water. :)

Yeah, It really isn't the greatest, but it works perfectly, and that is actually what happens. You aren't able to see the edges when water runs through it, which will pretty much be forever lol, save for when I turn the return pump off.

Well, water and scape will be going in really soon. Next week for sure!

Interested to see your light tree!

Well your interest will be peaked soon enough. Tomorrow actually. :lol:

Also, seabass, I'm only now starting to understand what you said about the overflow box, drilling holes in the bottom of it, and also higher flow rates being associated with the teeth on the box. It makes perfect sense now that I think about it. The holes I drilled were too small, and since there was water coming in to the tank too fast the holes weren't large enough to drain the proper amount of water so that the water wouldn't flow over the box instead of only through the holes. Now I get it lol.

Anyhow, I do want a higher flow rate, which is why I made the slits. I know I'll be keeping SPS, so I needed some extra flow from the return, so I guess having the overflow box cut the way it is now will allow me to keep the pump at a higher return rate, and also, will allow me to upgrade to a more powerful return pump in the future, should I need to.

Thanks for the ideas and information from before seabass! Sorry it took me until now to understand it. :lol:

Oh ya, and also, I just wanted to put it down in words so I wouldn't forget, but when the time comes to buy a skimmer, I'll be going with a Bubble Magus BM-NAC3+. :)

Any more progress with this? love it so far!

Yep. Updates coming soon. Custom sump is going to be shipped out tomorrow, and I just purchased something that's going to blow some minds! :)

OMG! It's Jenatron! Nice to hear from you! Or read from you... :P

I wish to view more photographs. :)

Of course! More pictars tonight! I'm doing the plumbing tonight. Yey!

Archived