inTank Media Baskets

Media Basket - Biocube Water Level Question

xxmurrxx

Wondering if I have too much water in my cube for my media basket to be working correctly?

I think so but not sure, just set it up about a month ago.

Water is overflowing over the sides (front / back) of the media basket.. Im thinking for it to be effective the only place for the water to go would be down through the media?

Tried to capture a few pics.

3d2a62c7.jpg

363a139b.jpg

Short vid: (Sorry about the noise)

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/xxmur...nt=8be90901.mp4

Hello-

Yes the water level is too high. Most like it just at the first shelf. That way water enters and is forced through the media basket before circulating around the rest of the chamber.

One other question.

After lowering the water level roughly near the top tray of the mediabasket I can't seem to position my skimmer low enough. (Tunze 9002 with your mediabasket) I have the valve all the way open and it's making a gurgling noise. Cant lower the skimmer any further due to it cup hitting the side of the mediabasket.

The bubbles are right at the bottom of the cup stem (probably will produce skimmate once it gets going?) but it now has a noise.

Any tips? Or Do i just have to find a happy medium water level where both will work out?

The skimmer can work up to 1/2" below the water level line. Any time you move it or adjust the knob it takes time for it to reset. They are not plug and play.

megability

I've had StevieT's Media Basket and 'fuge in my BC29 for almost 2 years now, I don't have a skimmer, but I try and keep my waterline right at the top of the see-through water window on the other side (compartment 3) which makes the overflow from 1 onto a filter pad perfect. The only time water backs up and starts trying to flow over the sides is when my media, ChemiPure and bag of GFO, is either too stuffed or jammed in to limit flow around/through it in the basket compartments...

Hope that helps...

• 4 weeks later...
oOdexterOo
Hello-

Yes the water level is too high. Most like it just at the first shelf. That way water enters and is forced through the media basket before circulating around the rest of the chamber.

when i do this the water level in the tank drops below the black top rim and doesn't look right to me. I'm using the Maxi-Jet 1200 as a return. Any suggestions or is that how everyone does it?

• 2 weeks later...
Thrassian Atoll
When I add water to the display the back chamber fills up again.

Same here...I bought mine in march. I wonder if they are different from the older ones? Or is ours messed up? If I add water to the main display, it raises the rear chambers rather than the main display and vise versa. So it is not suppose to do that? I keep hearing people say the chambers stay the same if you put more water in the display. Not true with mine, and I assume dexters.

I keep hearing people say the chambers stay the same if you put more water in the display. Not true with mine, and I assume dexters.

I've never owned a media basket, but I've also never heard that claim before. The 2nd and 3rd chambers are essentially a small sump with an overflow, so they should be extremely sensitive to any change in water level of the display. I always used the 3rd chamber for my ATO's float switches because it allowed for the most control.

Thrassian Atoll
I've never owned a media basket, but I've also never heard that claim before. The 2nd and 3rd chambers are essentially a small sump with an overflow, so they should be extremely sensitive to any change in water level of the display. I always used the 3rd chamber for my ATO's float switches because it allowed for the most control.

I am guessing that is what StevieT is saying in this post. I have heard this on multiple occasions. All adding or taking water from my display does is increase or decrease the rear chambers. I could add water all day to the display and not raise the water level.

Just add water to the display to bring it back up
I am guessing that is what StevieT is saying in this post. I have heard this on multiple occasions. All adding or taking water from my display does is increase or decrease the rear chambers. I could add water all day to the display and not raise the water level.

Which is what you'd expect. A very minor or unnoticeable change to the large volume of water (the display) and a large change in the small overflow volume. If you want to raise the display height significantly then you'll likely have to change the height of the overflow.

I'm not sure why you'd need to raise the display height much, though. In my biocube the water level was right near the top plastic lip. I didn't cut the divider between chambers 1 and 2, though. I never understood why that was such a popular mod. Maybe it helps on the larger Biocubes, but there was no reason to on the 8.

Thrassian Atoll

I cut the tab on mine and my water level stays right at the bottom of the black trim. It would be nice if it was a little higher but I do not mind it. I also understand why the front stays the same and back increases or decreases, I just do not understand why I keep hearing that to raise the display, just add more water to it, or I am confused by stevie's post and others who say that.

Archived